Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Vote tallying...

Re: Vote tallying...

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:58:17 +1100, Lie Ryan <(E-Mail Removed)>

> That is not quite true. With most client libraries, including MySQLdb,
> connection to localhost goes through a local unix socket (or named pipe
> in Windows) instead of the TCP stack.

Named pipe is only available is MySQL was configured to use one.
Named pipes are only available on the NT-derived Windows OS (which is
likely all still running) -- MySQL could be run on W9x without named
pipes, and even on WinXP my installation does not activate named pipes.

> Which is the same restriction as when using XML/JSON. What it means by
> locking the entire database is that an sqlite database can only be
> read/written by a single program at any moment in time. For batch

Actually, SQLite3 will happily permit multiple readers (or did, the
newest version may have a new locking scheme). However, the first
connection that seeks to write will block as long as open readers are
active, yet will also block /new/ readers. When the open readers close,
the write can complete, and then new readers can enter. Conclusion:
ensure that even read-only operations have a "commit" operation to close
them
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN

Vote for the October Scapegoat!!! bigal The Lounge 228 10-19-2005 09:11 AM
To U all who didn't vote for Bush! This message link is for U! Tron2004 MCSE 2 11-04-2004 01:44 PM
[OT] Vote for Me! JaR MCSE 52 09-10-2004 01:22 PM
OT: violence mars India vote Vigo Breadcrumbs MCSE 21 04-20-2004 10:58 PM
Vote this java2d bug -> 4916948 Michele Puccini Java 0 09-19-2003 12:49 PM

Advertisments