Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Thoughts on my minimalist site?

Thoughts on my minimalist site?

Ian Rastall

On 1/19/2013 4:46 PM, dorayme wrote:
> Under 30 is most comfortable, a bit more is not necessarily so bad if
> there are good reasons aside from ease of reading the text itself.

Yes, I was trying to get the max-width slightly wider than the width of
my Kindle Fire (in vertical mode). I figured tablets in general had the
same dimensions (roughly).

Thank you for all the insights. It's been a long day, so I just got back
here. Hope all are well.

--
Ian

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-01-19 8:42, Ian Rastall wrote:

> Since all the other eBook sites are busy and complicated, I've turned my
> own (http://bookstacks.org/) into just one page.

This sounds familiar. I think I have commented on your material. You are
distributing an English translation of a work of Dostoyevsky without
indicating the translator. This is barbaric, and probably a copyright
infringement too, as it does not look like an old translation.

So I think it would be immoral to suggest any improvements.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Ian Rastall

On 1/20/2013 4:17 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> I think it would be immoral to suggest any improvements.

In that case, Jukka, I have no reason to kow-tow. I will just be honest.
You have been making an ass out of yourself on the Internet for as long
as I've been here, which is more than ten years. As is the case on any
of the computer-related ng's, those who can offer advice or help can get
away with pretty much anything, in terms of rudeness and crass, ugly
behavior. But it reflects *extremely* poorly on your character. Has it
ever occurred to you that, on a newsgroup devoted to one of the most
popular topics on the Internet, there has been surprisingly little
traffic? Every potential long-term poster who comes by stands a good
chance of running up against your arrogant, foolish attitude.

I have no idea what you think you're doing here, other than blowing off
steam. But that does have an effect, and if you don't care about all the
negative feelings you've sown over the years, consider at least what it
reaps you. And no, I don't really hang out here, so I can afford to be
on your **** list, or ... to be honest, anyone's. It's just amazing to
me how people with high intellects can feel superior to others, when
that very ugly air they assume has turned them into fools.

--
Ian

Jukka K. Korpela

2013-01-26 9:15, Ian Rastall wrote:

> On 1/20/2013 4:17 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> I think it would be immoral to suggest any improvements.

> In that case, Jukka, I have no reason to kow-tow.

When this (followed by strong personal accusations) is your reaction to
a note about apparent copyright infringement on your pages, it more or
less confirms the suspicions. It is fair now to assume that all
translated works there are being distributed illegally.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Jonathan N. Little

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> 2013-01-26 9:15, Ian Rastall wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2013 4:17 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>>> I think it would be immoral to suggest any improvements.

>> In that case, Jukka, I have no reason to kow-tow.

> When this (followed by strong personal accusations) is your reaction to
> a note about apparent copyright infringement on your pages, it more or
> less confirms the suspicions. It is fair now to assume that all
> translated works there are being distributed illegally.

A quick scan of the list seems that all the books are out of copyright.
For the book in question

Crime and Punishment
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Translated By Constance Garnett

Is in the Gutenberg project and probably okay to freely distribute, if
he got the source from Gutenberg I thing you are obligated to include
their copyright info.

<http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2554/2554-h/2554-h.htm>

That said, it is important to verify copyrights and whether or not
something is in the public domain before you "publish" it on your site.
Rule of thumb, if *you* did not create it, you *must* check *before* you
can use it. To the OP if all these works are in the public domain you
should put a notice to such somewhere on the site.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO