Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Typo on last post about Dell E152FP Monitor

Typo on last post about Dell E152FP Monitor

Nonesuch

My apologies to Vanguard and Paul.

Dimension 3000- Windows XP

E153 FP Monitor

There's a default display if no connection is made to the PC, a diagnostic
display.

This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes.

VanguardLH

"Nonesuch" wrote:

> My apologies to Vanguard and Paul.
>
> Dimension 3000- Windows XP
>
> E153 FP Monitor
>
> There's a default display if no connection is made to the PC, a diagnostic
> display.
>
> This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes.

Note: To continue a discussion, hit Reply in your newsreader, not New.
Also, do not change the Subject header as some newsreaders use it to
thread together the posts in a thread instead of the References header.

I will continue the discussion in your older thread.

Paul

Nonesuch wrote:
> My apologies to Vanguard and Paul.
>
> Dimension 3000- Windows XP
>
> E153 FP Monitor
>
> There's a default display if no connection is made to the PC, a diagnostic
> display.
>
> This appears for less than 2 seconds and then vanishes.

OK, I'm not sure I'm understanding you well enough, but
we can break it down...

1) Light on for two seconds, then off, means a
CCFL backlight and/or inverter problem. As far as I
know, the multiple inverter channels on your monitor,
are on the "Power Board". The Power Board is the one
with the AC connector soldered right to it.

2) The "Input Board", the thing with VGA or DVI connectors,
notes whether any signals are on one of the connectors,
makes the monitor "look" at that connector, processes
the high speed serial data to make a "framed" image for
the panel. If the "Input Board" had a problem, and
falsely detected a lack of input, you might get the
OSD (On-Screen-Display menu) pop up, announcing the fact.

Some monitors, put an advertising splash screen up, before
they even look at the inputs. And in the two seconds your
backlight and inverter will currently run, that might be
all you can see on the screen.

Yes, it's true, that during the two seconds, there might
be additional diagnostic information evident from the
screen contents. But a lot of monitors, aren't really
ready to tell you anything in the first few seconds.
Either what you're seeing on the screen, is a
"cry for help", or, it's the normal screen
presentation. (For example, on my Acer, if the backlight
was doing the two second thing, I'd see the word "Acer",
which is their ugly advertising splash screen. The monitor
would likely never ever display anything other than
"Acer" in the first two seconds, so the chances of me
catching a couple seconds of OSD warning message, are
quite limited.)

*******

You can sometimes, temporarily, avoid the "two second thing",
by turning down the screen intensity. But on some monitors,
it's too hard to see what you're doing, to do that. The
days of having a simple knob you can turn are gone, and
the "button + OSD" interface doesn't lend itself to
making setting changes when the monitor is sick.

Paul