Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Error & Warning messages

Error & Warning messages

Hans Vlems

On 18 jan, 21:29, Robert Wessel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:23:31 -0800, Keith Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >Robert Wessel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> Yes, although I think most users have migrated to IPF by now.

> >To clarify, you mean they've migrated from VMS (the OS) on VAX and Alpha
> >(CPU architectures) to VMS (same OS, probably another version) on IPF
> >(Itanium Processor Family, previously called IA-64) (another CPU
> >architecture), yes?

> Yes. *IPF is a pretty common name for the architecture in my
> experience, although given that two people here didn't know it, its
> usage may be somewhat more restricted than I thought. *I'll try to use
> "Itanium" from now on.
>
> >I initially assumed that IPF was a newer OS that replaces VMS -- and "IPF"
> >turns out to be difficult to Google.

> I just tried it. *Surprisingly so. *Probably not as bad as IBM's
> current name for the AS/400 OS: "IBM i". *Dumbest product name ever.
>
> >(Oh, and VMS is officially called OpenVMS.)

> Yeah, and I call z/OS "MVS" too. *And when I'm being grumpy, I'll
> still call her "Ozzy".- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Itanium is the name that is used in comp.os.vms and comp.sys.dec,
though Itanic is
popular in certain circles too.
The operating system runs in te same version on two platforms. VMS
V8.2 and upwards
runs on Alpha and Itanium hardware.
New developments on the os are pretty rare these days, when they
happen they occur on
both distributions. VAX/VMS stopped its development at V7.3.
The prefix open is not voiced... Only marketing folks do pronounce
it
Hans