Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Reply
Thread Tools

Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 18:58:29 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
: On 2013-01-15 17:48:05 -0800, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
: >
: > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
: > and the like when the exposure is set for
: > pinpoint.
: >
: > Peter
:
:
: I would seriously reconsider your "bright" idea for "shooting from the
: hip". Deliberately arming your camera with a laser sight or pointer is
: a bad idea, especially when you are taking it into a target rich
: environment at a wedding.
: You could rig a rail to the tripod mount and attach any one of many
: available laser sights. A pistol sight would probably be most suitable.
: However, I doubt that your insurance would cover any potential
: liability just because you might think it a neat idea. You would be
: best advised to stick to traditional photography techniques. After all,
: it is a wedding and there is little need for "shooting from the hip".
: Folks expect photographs to be taken at a wedding by some guy with a
: camera held up to his/her face.

Well, yeah, but the questioner may not be that guy. Somehow the question
doesn't advertise itself as having come from a professional photographer, or
even a serious amateur. When I take pictures at weddings, I don't mind being
seen doing it; but I make it a point to stay out of the way of the
professional who's being paid to document the event. My sense is that the
overwhelming majority of the participants in these newsgroups - professionals,
semis, and amateurs - would do the same.

Remember the video that was posted briefly a few years ago of the still
photographer who hogged the sight lines to the bride and groom all the way up
the aisle? He froze out the videographer, but ended up falling into the
baptismal font with all his gear. The videographer caught it all. :^) It was
so hilarious that one was even left with the suspicion that the whole thing
may have been staged.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gordon Freeman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.


Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You could
then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
pressing the shutter release.


--
__________________________________________________ _____

300,000 kilometres per second: It isn't just a good idea, it's the law !!
__________________________________________________ _____
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013

"Gordon Freeman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XnsA14B2983B7740C9A7@127.0.0.1...
> Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>
>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>> pinpoint.

>
> Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You
> could
> then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
> pressing the shutter release.
>


You would certainly get the attention of any security person there, whether
it be private or commissioned officer. They have a very, very bad
disposition any time they are "painted" with a laser dot, and may react in
very unpredictable and unfriendly ways. And just what if ............... a
stray dot flies upward when shooting in the back yard, and you hit a billion
to one shot of the cockpit of an airliner. They react very quickly and will
report any such incident to homeland security. I know it is a reach, but it
could happen.

Steve


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:21:51 -0700, "Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>
>"Gordon Freeman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:XnsA14B2983B7740C9A7@127.0.0.1...
>> Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>>
>>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>>> pinpoint.

>>
>> Why not just strap a laser-sighted gun to the side of the camera? You
>> could
>> then also use it to weed out unwanted people from group shots before
>> pressing the shutter release.
>>

>
>You would certainly get the attention of any security person there, whether
>it be private or commissioned officer. They have a very, very bad
>disposition any time they are "painted" with a laser dot, and may react in
>very unpredictable and unfriendly ways. And just what if ............... a
>stray dot flies upward when shooting in the back yard, and you hit a billion
>to one shot of the cockpit of an airliner. They react very quickly and will
>report any such incident to homeland security. I know it is a reach, but it
>could happen.


Here's a guy right here in my town that is quite adept at beating the
odds:


http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-prison-planes


--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:44:02 PM UTC, Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
>
> > Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any

>
> > professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable

>
> > professional equipment for his use.

>
>
>
> Lots of DSLRs or interchangeable lens cameras with tiltable LCD screens
>
> around. Why wouldn't a pro use them?


I don't think that was the question, titltable screens first became availbe on so called amateur cameras rather than pro DSLRs as far as I remember.

>
> --
>
>
>
> Alfred Molon
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Olympus E-series DSLRs and micro 4/3 forum at
>
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
>
> http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr. Strat
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.
>
> Peter


Amateurs have such interesting ideas.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
On Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:05:39 PM UTC, Mr. Strat wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

>
> >

>
> > I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings

>
> > and the like when the exposure is set for

>
> > pinpoint.

>
> >

>
> > Peter

>
>
>
> Amateurs have such interesting ideas.


It is intresting and could be made to work if there was enough money to be made from it, might be OK for specilised uses.
No one seems very concenred by the lasers in supermarkets on teh tills they could probbelem use similar rechnology in camera but it'd be expensive or more expensive than present systems.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug McDonald
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
I actually OWN a camera with such a pointer, though not laser. It also
aids manual focus. The camera was made in 1948. Its a 4x5 Pacemaker Crown
Graphic. It does not blind people. However, this feature only words indoors
since its not all that bright.

It uses a small light bulb whose filament's image is send out
through the two rangefinder ports. You focus by aligning the two images.

Of course it does have parallax. However, since the pointing error is
fixed, for aiming you can easily compensate. This would work
with an SLR also.

Sending out a weak (say 0.1 milliwatt) red laser, from a one inch
diameter port, focused to a one inch spot at say 30 feet,
would not be a blinding problem at all. It would work perfectly.

Doug MCDonald

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
Mort <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>> Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>>
>>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>>> pinpoint.

>>
>> Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
>> device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
>> the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
>> laser pointer to your camera or something).

>
> These in-camera focus aids are LED lights and not lasers.


I know. He said "like laser pinpointing". This projects a target grid
that gives you a pretty good idea where the picture will be taken; I
think that's "like" enough to be work suggesting.

--
Googleproofaddress(account:dd-b provider:dd-b domain:net)
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-17-2013
Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, David Dyer-Bennet says...
>> Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
>> professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
>> professional equipment for his use.

>
> Lots of DSLRs or interchangeable lens cameras with tiltable LCD screens
> around. Why wouldn't a pro use them?


You won't find that sort of feature above the consumer-level produts; in
the Nikon line (the one I know) it's not on the D700, D800, or D4 (or
older models at that level).
--
Googleproofaddress(account:dd-b provider:dd-b domain:net)
Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
Does the 2.0 Framework come out when Visual Studio .NET 2005 does? needin4mation@gmail.com ASP .Net 3 10-07-2005 12:55 AM
Why Does Mcafee Vscan 9.0 or any version make you reboot your machine after updating. I know it's junk, but really, come on!!! Dirkley Diggler Computer Support 7 06-11-2005 09:07 AM
does HD-DVD use red-laser or blue-laser ? videogamedude@gmail.com DVD Video 30 04-25-2005 03:34 AM
Come One, Come All Jess Guim Digital Photography 0 12-02-2003 04:43 PM



Advertisments