Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Does any camera come with a laser pointer?

Peter Jason

Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.

I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
and the like when the exposure is set for
pinpoint.

Peter

RichA

On Jan 15, 8:48*pm, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.
>
> Peter

I would re-think shooting any laser pointer at people, just in case
you accidentally hit someone in the eye. I'd suggest getting a camera
with an articulating LCD and orientate it to allow you to shoot from
the hip.
No cameras come with laser pointers, but you could mount one on any
camera hot-shoe with a bit of adapting of a pre-existing laser pointer.

Usenet Account

On 15/01/2013 8:48 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.
>
> Peter

Perhaps if you learn to use a camera? There have been well known street
photographers that have done documentary work with 35mm film SLR that
"shot from the hip"

--
This space intentionally left blank.

Mort

Peter Jason wrote:
> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.
>
> Peter

Do you wish to blind your enemies, or just your friends?

Mort Linder

David Dyer-Bennet

Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.

Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
laser pointer to your camera or something).

Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

David Dyer-Bennet

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
> says...
>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>
>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>> pinpoint.

> How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

Well, sure, but...there really aren't any; not something that any
professional wedding photographer would really recognize as suitable
professional equipment for his use.

Used to be, viewfinder flexibility was a feature limited to professional
cameras. Lately, things seem to have reversed, and it's found only on
consumer models.

(Well, and the OM-D EM-5 or whatever the hell random string they named
that nice Olympus M43 model.)
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

nick c

On 1/15/2013 7:00 PM, George Kerby wrote:

> On 1/15/13 7:48 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> "Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>
>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>> pinpoint.
>>
>> Peter

> Are you f--king CRAZY?!?

So few words that say so much.

RichA

On Jan 16, 11:39*am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2013-01-16 08:14:56 -0800, ray carter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>

> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:55:25 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
> >> says...

> >> How about using a camera with a tiltable LCD screen for framing?

> > +1 on the tiltable screen. I've never used the one on my Pansonic G3 for
> > that because I've had the need.

> > The problem I see with a laser pointer would be parallax. Unless it's
> > coming out of the center of the lens, it's going to have to compensate
> > for being off center.

> Even with a class III Laser sight which is usually mounted as close to
> the plain of the barrel as possible it has to be zeroed. Most most
> pistol laser sights are zeroed at 20M, and are going to provide a 1 MOA
> degree of accuracy at 100M. That is within a 1 inch circle at 100M.
> Very few shooters are going to be able to hold to that degree of
> accuracy. The difference for ranges of 5-30M are unlikely to fall
> outside a 2 inch point of aim circle.
>
> The primary issue remains safety, and the responsibility of any
> photographer using such a targeting system at a wedding where it is
> unlikely that everybody would be wearing eye protection. It is a dumb
> idea.
>
> A laser pointer is not intended for pointing at people, and folks
> targeted with laser sights on a firearm have more to worry about than
> permanent vision damage.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

I'm wondering though, if a weak IR laser would produce a visible laser
spot on a subject via viewing through an EVF or LCD? If so, it might
be possible to do what the op wanted without risking any injury or
annoyance with the people he's shooting at?

Steve B

"Peter Jason" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>
> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
> and the like when the exposure is set for
> pinpoint.
>
> Peter

Bad, bad, bad.
Endangers eyesight.

Steve

Mort

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Like laser pinpointing on rifles and pistols.
>>
>> I need it for shooting from the hip at weddings
>> and the like when the exposure is set for
>> pinpoint.

> Well, the Nikon flash focus assist grid works pretty well as an aiming
> device, and has the additional useful feature that it goes off before
> the picture is taken (a definite issue when trying to just duct-tape a
> laser pointer to your camera or something).

These in-camera focus aids are LED lights and not lasers.

Mort Linder