Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google nz and Google com

Google nz and Google com

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <50f48461$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
> Enkidu says...
>>
>> On 15/01/13 01:42, Dave Doe wrote:
>> > In article <kd03sq$ehi$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
>> > says...

>> > Huh, there's only about ten things on the entire page - the link is at
>> > the bottom right of the page (you may need to scroll down a bit (as far
>> > as you can go)).
>> >
>> > Just mentioning that incase you just used Ralph's link, rather than
>> > understood his comment - which is the same as mine.
>> >

>> Google seem to show everything on the page including that line of links
>> if the window is maximised. I've never noticed the link (but them I've
>> not looked for it) and it is in pale grey on a white screen, which
>> doesn't make it noticeable!

> That indeed could be exaberated on Geo's screen, which IIRC, is not in
> native resolution, ever since the "computer man" upgraded the monitor to
> an LCD, but did not think through the ramifications of doing so (didn't
> upgrade the video card to go with it to support widescreen format).

I didn't know it had a video card, whatever that is. I suppose that's stuck
in the box where I wouldn't notice it.
My previous computer man installed the new monitor.
I change the size myself down at the bottom right corner. I usually have
125. That loses the side of the screen, but as that's only ads on Google
they are not missed!

Frank Williams

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:56:26 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> In article <50f48461$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),

>>> Google seem to show everything on the page including that line of links
>>> if the window is maximised. I've never noticed the link (but them I've
>>> not looked for it) and it is in pale grey on a white screen, which
>>> doesn't make it noticeable!

>> That indeed could be exaberated on Geo's screen, which IIRC, is not in
>> native resolution, ever since the "computer man" upgraded the monitor to
>> an LCD, but did not think through the ramifications of doing so (didn't
>> upgrade the video card to go with it to support widescreen format).
>>

>I didn't know it had a video card, whatever that is. I suppose that's stuck
>in the box where I wouldn't notice it.
>My previous computer man installed the new monitor.
>I change the size myself down at the bottom right corner. I usually have
>125. That loses the side of the screen, but as that's only ads on Google
>they are not missed!

PLESE SET THAT BACK TO 100% YOU ARE DOING THE wrong THING AGAIN.

Get this imaginary Computer man/boy to set it up correctly.

You keep referring to this thing or person but he never does a thing.

This screen size thing goes back 6 months or more, Please explain
that..?

Geopelia

"Frank Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:56:26 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>>> In article <50f48461$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed),
>>> Enkidu says...

>>> That indeed could be exaberated on Geo's screen, which IIRC, is not in
>>> native resolution, ever since the "computer man" upgraded the monitor to
>>> an LCD, but did not think through the ramifications of doing so (didn't
>>> upgrade the video card to go with it to support widescreen format).
>>>

>>I didn't know it had a video card, whatever that is. I suppose that's
>>stuck
>>in the box where I wouldn't notice it.
>>My previous computer man installed the new monitor.
>>I change the size myself down at the bottom right corner. I usually have
>>125. That loses the side of the screen, but as that's only ads on Google
>>they are not missed!
>>

> PLESE SET THAT BACK TO 100% YOU ARE DOING THE wrong THING AGAIN.
>
> Get this imaginary Computer man/boy to set it up correctly.
>
> You keep referring to this thing or person but he never does a thing.
>

> This screen size thing goes back 6 months or more, Please explain
> that..?

I just change it whenever I want to. It goes 100,125 and 150. Changing it
doesn't seem to do any harm
I need bigger type to read some things, especially Facebook.

My present computer man knows what he is doing, which is more than I do with
the technical stuff!

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 2013-01-14, geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:kd0rrv$rtp$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Google.co.nz is essentially identixcal to Google.com except for minor
>>> menu
>>> differnces (and maybe the ads). You are still search the whole google
>>> 'world' on g.....co.nz - there is no point in changing anything.
>>>

>> However I have the feeling that the *order* of the results ware
>> different.
>> If you are in NZ then if you search for Motels (the buildings not the
>> group)
>> you get the NZ at the top of the list. Appears that is not the best of
>> examples.

> I think Geo was (still is ?) under the misapprehension that Google NZ
> gives exclusively NZ answers, and that you need to switch to google.com
> for global answers....
>
> geoff

No, most of what I look up doesn't seem to be from any particular country.

Geopelia

Dave Doe

In article <kd64p6$sn$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
says...

> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> However I have the feeling that the *order* of the results ware
> >> different.
> >> If you are in NZ then if you search for Motels (the buildings not the
> >> group)
> >> you get the NZ at the top of the list. Appears that is not the best of
> >> examples.

> > I think Geo was (still is ?) under the misapprehension that Google NZ
> > gives exclusively NZ answers, and that you need to switch to google.com
> > for global answers....
> >
> > geoff
> >

> No, most of what I look up doesn't seem to be from any particular country.
>
> Geopelia

What is the reason you want to use google.com, vs google.co.nz ?

--
Duncan.

Geopelia

"Dave Doe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> In article <kd64p6$sn$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed), Geopelia
> says...
>>
>> "geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > I think Geo was (still is ?) under the misapprehension that Google NZ
>> > gives exclusively NZ answers, and that you need to switch to google.com
>> > for global answers....
>> >
>> > geoff
>> >

>> No, most of what I look up doesn't seem to be from any particular
>> country.
>>
>> Geopelia

> What is the reason you want to use google.com, vs google.co.nz ?

For the overseas news. I use Google News a lot.
And Google Images

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kd64p6$sn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I think Geo was (still is ?) under the misapprehension that Google NZ
>>> gives exclusively NZ answers, and that you need to switch to google.com
>>> for global answers....
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>

>> No, most of what I look up doesn't seem to be from any particular
>> country.
>>
>> Geopelia

> So you don't need to chop and change Google 'homes' then ! Ever !
>
> geoff

It makes a difference with Google News.

Mike Dee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Frank Williams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:33:07 +1300, Ralph Fox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Or, use this link: http://www.google.com/ncr -- add it to your favorites.

> I think you will find that Google.com does not give you the NZ search
> option.
>

> So its not so good to use Google.com you are in NZ not US.

Not so. If you're on a google.com page and you suddenly want an nz
specific search, just add site:nz to your search criteria.

--
dee

Geopelia

"geoff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kd8mgf$2lt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> For the overseas news. I use Google News a lot.
>> And Google Images

> Yes. You don't need to change from google.co.nz for any of that . But for
> best international news try bbcnews.com .
>
> geoff

Thank you, that's a great website

geopelia

Gordon

On 2013-01-16, geoff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kd64p6$sn$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> I think Geo was (still is ?) under the misapprehension that Google NZ
>>> gives exclusively NZ answers, and that you need to switch to google.com
>>> for global answers....
>>>
>>> geoff
>>>

>> No, most of what I look up doesn't seem to be from any particular country.
>>
>> Geopelia

> So you don't need to chop and change Google 'homes' then ! Ever !

In fact you might like to go to "Advanced" search. It exists, I have tried
it and lost interest.