Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Beowulf clusters

Re: Beowulf clusters

Oscar Benjamin

On 14 January 2013 02:46, Mark Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Oscar Benjamin
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 14 January 2013 02:33, Mark Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Lol, well that's why I'm asking. I don't see how they can do it
>>> without considerable difficulties.

>> What do you want the GIL for across machines? The normal purpose of
>> the GIL is to preserve the integrity of Python's in-memory data
>> structures. These are only accessible within one process so what good
>> would a multi-process GIL be?

> Excuse me, I actually thought you knew what you were talking about.

Steady on...

> A Beowulf cluster, by it's nature, is across many-machines. Now you
> can't have a GIL and a single python program across many-machines
> without some tricks. I'm just wondering how (or if) they solved that
> problem....

You've used the word 'program'. I used the word 'process'. I have used
HPC clusters that I assume count as Beowulf clusters. However, I have
never used them in such a way that a single process occurred on
multiple machines (the idea seems absurd to me). Maybe I've missed
something here...

Oscar

Re: Beowulf clusters Oscar Benjamin Python 0 01-14-2013 02:30 AM
Re: Beowulf clusters Mark Janssen Python 0 01-14-2013 02:22 AM
Re: Beowulf clusters Oscar Benjamin Python 0 01-14-2013 02:19 AM
Beowulf clusters Mark Janssen Python 0 01-14-2013 02:10 AM
Beowulf clusters Kenneth P. Turvey Java 9 07-03-2006 07:51 PM

Advertisments