Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Jessops UK photo store in recievership

Reply
Thread Tools

Jessops UK photo store in recievership

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On Jan 10, 8:31*am, Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thought it worth mentioning here.
>
> Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UKand employs about 2,000 staff.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659


Another victim of European "tax rape" (goods and property) goes down
the tubes. No wonder internet purchasing is growing faster there than
in the U.S.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
: >wrote:
: >:
: >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
: >:
: >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
: >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
: >:
: >:
: >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
: >
: >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
: >
: >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
: >
: What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?

Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
both American.

Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:08:32 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>: On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>:
>: >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
>: >wrote:
>: >:
>: >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
>: >:
>: >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
>: >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>: >:
>: >:
>: >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
>: >
>: >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
>: >
>: >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
>: >
>: What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
>
>Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
>site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
>CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
>both American.


Actually, both were truly international and both have their original
roots in the UK. Samuel Price started his firm in London and
Waterhouse came in later. They were in business for 40 years before
they expanded to the US.

Cooper also started out as a UK accountancy firm. Lybrand was added
when the firm expanded to the US.

It's hard to say either firm, before the merger, was "American". As
LLPs, the American firm and the UK firm were autonomous entities. The
present amalgamation is also an LLP construction.






--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On 10/01/2013 13:31, Whisky-dave wrote:
>
> Thought it worth mentioning here.
>
> Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659


Yes, very sad. I think that leaves just Currys/Dixons as our photo
stores in the centre of Edinburgh now.

I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving 5 by buying on
the Internet.

Sorry for the staff.
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On 12/01/2013 15:12, RichA wrote:
> "David Taylor" <david- I'm not one of these people
>> who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving 5 by buying on the
>> Internet.
>>
>> Sorry for the staff.

>
> Everyone seems to say that here, yet the store is gone. So I presume Mr.
> and Ms. Joe Average don't value the up front items and service the same way?


They just use their mobile phone to take snaps and computer to print
them. No need for camera dealers any more to process film or prints.

Joe public doesn't notice that inkjet ink costs more per g than heroin.

Basically bricks and mortar photo stores like Jessops with limited stock
are neither fish nor fowl. Insufficient high end gear to get experts to
go and insufficient market share with the general public.

They have been limping along as a zombie for about three years now.

I fully expect HMV or Smiths to be next to vanish off the high street.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2013
On 1/11/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> :
> : >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
> : >wrote:
> : >:
> : >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
> : >:
> : >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
> : >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
> : >:
> : >:
> : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
> : >
> : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
> : >
> : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
> : >
> : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
>
> Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
> site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
> CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
> both American.
>
> Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?
>


Coopers & Lybrand was the result of a merger of Coopers, With Lybrand,
Ross Brothers, & Montgomers. Coopers was a British firm, Price
Waterhouse, was also basically a British firm.


--
PeterN
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2013
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 13:42:19 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 1/11/2013 9:08 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: > On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 21:10:50 +1300, Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > wrote:
: > : On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > :
: > : >On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
: > : >wrote:
: > : >:
: > : >: Thought it worth mentioning here.
: > : >:
: > : >: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
: > : >: the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
: > : >:
: > : >:
: > : >: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
: > : >
: > : >Thank you, Mr Cameron.
: > : >
: > : >And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
: > : >
: > : What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?
: >
: > Like all of the major participants in the New World Order, they have a Web
: > site that tries to blur their nationality. But they're an amalgamation of two
: > CPA firms, Price-Waterhouse and Coopers & Lybrand, that I'm pretty sure were
: > both American.
: >
: > Or are you referring to a British company that makes barrels?
: >
:
: Coopers & Lybrand was the result of a merger of Coopers, With Lybrand,
: Ross Brothers, & Montgomers. Coopers was a British firm, Price
: Waterhouse, was also basically a British firm.

So several people have told me. I didn't know that and sure wouldn't have
guessed it from their U.S. persona. Oh, well, the New World Order ignores all
national boundaries anyway.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2013
On 13/01/2013 10:02, Neil Ellwood wrote:
[]
> You have never been to a jessops shop by the sound of it. Service was non-
> existent and the displays of dslrs were the most inconvenient you have
> ever seen. Staff were a rare commodity that were had to find as well.
>
> Here in Peterborough we now have NO dedicated camera shops but I will not
> miss Jessops.


Sorry to hear of your experiences.

Not the case in Edinburgh. The Jessops staff I spoke to were
knowledgeable and helpful, and if something was outside their scope they
would get someone who did know. They had an excellent range of Canon
and Nikon lenses and, at one time, would match Internet prices.

The Leicester store I visited a couple of times was also without problem.

They will be sadly missed here, as will be the Jacobs which opened next
door but one...
--
Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
 
Reply With Quote
 
D.M.Chapman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2013
In article <kcr82t$51j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
>could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
>who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving 5 by buying on
>the Internet.



I try not to, but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for a memory card that
I can get from Amazon for 18.

I was willing to buy my new camera from them - couldn't decide 650d or
60d so went in knowing Jessops prices were 30 quid more than amazon, but
willing to pay that to get some hands on experience.

Except they had none in stock, two weeks before Christmas.

Closest 60d they had in stock to Folkestone was in South London. Realised
then that they hadn't got long left...

Still not got the camera, but it's looking like it'll be another sale to
amazon tbh.

Darren

 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2013
On 13/01/2013 11:18, D.M.Chapman wrote:
> In article <kcr82t$51j$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> David Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I supported Jessops as much as possible, and bought from them when I
>> could (when they had the items available). I'm not one of these people
>> who spends 30 minutes viewing in store and then saving 5 by buying on
>> the Internet.

>
> I try not to, but I can't bring myself to pay 60 quid for a memory card that
> I can get from Amazon for 18.


Or across the road at PCW/Maplins for some price inbetween.

> I was willing to buy my new camera from them - couldn't decide 650d or
> 60d so went in knowing Jessops prices were 30 quid more than amazon, but
> willing to pay that to get some hands on experience.
>
> Except they had none in stock, two weeks before Christmas.
>
> Closest 60d they had in stock to Folkestone was in South London. Realised
> then that they hadn't got long left...


I had to travel to Leeds to get the camera I bought from them last year.
Local branches did not have any stock (again at Xmas).
>
> Still not got the camera, but it's looking like it'll be another sale to
> amazon tbh.


Check at least a couple of the other decent online photo dealers first.
Amazon is not always the best price for specialist gear.

Oh and I wouldn't order high end gear from Amazon just at the start of a
major winter snowstorm. I made that mistake buying my K-5 and it
languished in a big pile of unsorted mail for best part of a month!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JESSOPS GLASGOW UK tbm Digital Photography 5 01-25-2005 10:32 PM
Jessops sale - pathetic. Si Digital Photography 42 01-03-2005 07:54 AM
Jessops Printing Facilty Edward Holt Digital Photography 1 07-21-2004 07:16 PM
Jessops - you may wish to know Freddie Cooke Digital Photography 3 06-28-2004 06:58 PM
Jessops Dark Prints Chris Digital Photography 1 10-16-2003 09:38 PM



Advertisments