Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Jessops UK photo store in recievership

Reply
Thread Tools

Jessops UK photo store in recievership

 
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2013

Thought it worth mentioning here.

Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2013
Whisky-dave wrote:

>
> Thought it worth mentioning here.
>
> Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659


Been on the cards for ages. I don't think they will be missed, to be
honest. I used Jessops occasionally when their influx forced the
closing of all the independant camera and photographic outlets. I used
them even less once internet shopping became a whole lot easier.
Jessops has never been cheap, either. Don't get me wrong, I do not
mind paying a little extra if I know I am going to get good customer
service ( like I used to get at the independents) but Jessops customer
service has never been the best it could have been and has even been
appalling on occasion.

MC
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Coe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
: Thought it worth mentioning here.
:
: Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
:
:
: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Thank you, Mr Cameron.

And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

Bob
 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On 11/01/2013 02:58, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-10 18:21:12 -0800, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : Thought it worth mentioning here.
>> :
>> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
>> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>> :
>> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
>>
>> Thank you, Mr Cameron.


They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/for...172757216.html

I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.

>> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
>>
>> Bob

>
> This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".


Post Christmas I doubt if there are any worthwhile assets to carve up.
You won't get much if anything for empty shop premises when there are so
many already to choose from on the high street. And a fire sale of what
little old stock they have won't raise much. I noticed in a Manchester
branch last week that there was some Canon ink in old packaging on the
racks with about two years dust on it.

I still used my local Jessops for small sizes of printing where they
were price competitive overnight on large runs. Sad to see them go. I
have bought several cameras from them over the years.

But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Malcolm
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
MC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Whisky-dave wrote:


>>
>> Thought it worth mentioning here.
>>
>> Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in
>> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>>
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659


> Been on the cards for ages. I don't think they will be missed, to be
> honest. I used Jessops occasionally when their influx forced the
> closing of all the independant camera and photographic outlets. I used
> them even less once internet shopping became a whole lot easier.
> Jessops has never been cheap, either. Don't get me wrong, I do not
> mind paying a little extra if I know I am going to get good customer
> service ( like I used to get at the independents) but Jessops customer
> service has never been the best it could have been and has even been
> appalling on occasion.


Whereas the reason I've bought a few lenses at Jessops has been that
their prices were only a little above the prices on the web, and I
valued being able to collect it in person and if necessary being able
to hand it back in person if there was something amiss.

I found their customer service ok, just suffering a bit sometimes from
the ignorance of cheap employees. When necessary being polite but
insistent always got me up to the Person Who Knows About Photography.

The people I really don't like are those who visit real shops to try
things out and then buy it online. It's their greed which has killed
local camera shops.

--
Chris Malcolm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Whisky-dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On Friday, January 11, 2013 7:53:12 AM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 11/01/2013 02:58, Savageduck wrote:
>
> > On 2013-01-10 18:21:12 -0800, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>
> >

>
> >> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave

>
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>
> >> wrote:

>
> >> :

>
> >> : Thought it worth mentioning here.

>
> >> :

>
> >> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in

>
> >> the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.

>
> >> :

>
> >> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

>
> >>

>
> >> Thank you, Mr Cameron.

>
>
>
> They have looked doomed for some time. The bank already owns them after
>
> the previous rescue in 2009 and this year their greed and consumer
>
> apathy finally killed the company. I expect it is the suppliers who will
>
> take most of the hit. Former chairman blames HSBC:



A friend of mine worked there back in 2001 they weren;t very good employers adn the managment were rather petty well her managment was.

>
>
>
> http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/for...172757216.html
>
>
>
> I expect he is merely out of the frying pan into the fire at HMV. HMV is
>
> probably doomed too since online digital download sales of music and
>
> video is even more of a threat to bricks and mortar physical stores.


Last I heard the mangment were pressuring the staff to cover up tattoes/peircings and to not look to 'differnt' Gettign rid of anyone that cares about the music people want to buy doesn't seem like a good idea to me.


> >> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.

>
> >>

>
> >> Bob

>
> >

>
> > This sounds like the typical prey of Bain Capitol and "Stealth Mitt".

>
>
>
> Post Christmas I doubt if there are any worthwhile assets to carve up.
>
> You won't get much if anything for empty shop premises when there are so
>
> many already to choose from on the high street.


The one in new oxford street might make a niced Apple store, they seem to be doping OK havign the largest sales per unit of floor area.


> And a fire sale of what
>
> little old stock they have won't raise much. I noticed in a Manchester
>
> branch last week that there was some Canon ink in old packaging on the
>
> racks with about two years dust on it.
>
>
>
> I still used my local Jessops for small sizes of printing where they
>
> were price competitive overnight on large runs. Sad to see them go. I
>
> have bought several cameras from them over the years.
>
>
>
> But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
>
> more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.


A friend needed one instantly and argos were closer and cheaper.

>
>
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin Brown


 
Reply With Quote
 
AnthonyL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 07:53:12 +0000, Martin Brown
<|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>
>But even I buy photo kit online now. I last bought a camera at Jessops
>more than a year ago and only then because I needed it instantly.
>



I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.

Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.

I think in all the years I've had a choice I've never bought from
Jessops even though I've popped in more than once.

--
AnthonyL
 
Reply With Quote
 
AnthonyL
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:12:57 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d (AnthonyL)
wrote:
>
>I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
>in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.
>
>Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
>London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
>and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.
>


Whilst I was in store one of the salesmen was reassuring a customer on
the phone that their order was safe. Hearing now that all stores are
closing down maybe I should have hung on for an houir or two to see
what price I could have got for the tripod.


--
AnthonyL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Cooper
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:12:10 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)d (AnthonyL)
wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:12:57 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)d (AnthonyL)
>wrote:
>>
>>I called in today to see what bargains they had, in particular I was
>>in the market for a decent (Manfrotto or similar) tripod.
>>
>>Their reduced value was well above internet. Popped in at the nearest
>>London Camera Exchange and saved myself quite a few quid, got a head
>>and a 50mm lens which they discounted for me to make a round number.
>>

>
>Whilst I was in store one of the salesmen was reassuring a customer on
>the phone that their order was safe. Hearing now that all stores are
>closing down maybe I should have hung on for an houir or two to see
>what price I could have got for the tripod.


When Ritz closed their local stores they had huge sales. But, the
sale items were store-brand items that had been over-priced for the
quality offered. Some larger items like umbrellas and light stands
were priced right, but it seemed like Ritz shipped all of the smaller
items back to headquarters. If there was a "real deal", it had to be
something odd that just happened to be what someone needed at the
time.


--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joe Kotroczo
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2013
On 11/01/2013 09:10, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:21:12 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 05:31:17 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> :
>> : Thought it worth mentioning here.
>> :
>> : Jessops, which was founded in Leicester in 1935, has 192 stores in the UK and employs about 2,000 staff.
>> :
>> :
>> : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659
>>
>> Thank you, Mr Cameron.
>>
>> And American capitalists are assigned to carve up the carcass. Alackaday.
>>

> What makes you think Price Waterhouse Coopers are American?


It's actually more complicated than that. PwC is not a single company,
it's a collection of companies with the same name and owners. There is
an US firm, but the headquarters for the whole group of firms in London.



--
audentes fortuna iuvat
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JESSOPS GLASGOW UK tbm Digital Photography 5 01-25-2005 10:32 PM
Jessops sale - pathetic. Si Digital Photography 42 01-03-2005 07:54 AM
Jessops Printing Facilty Edward Holt Digital Photography 1 07-21-2004 07:16 PM
Jessops - you may wish to know Freddie Cooke Digital Photography 3 06-28-2004 06:58 PM
Jessops Dark Prints Chris Digital Photography 1 10-16-2003 09:38 PM



Advertisments