Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > HTTP thread limit

HTTP thread limit

Roedy Green

Is there some limit in Java on how many HTTP GET probes you can have
going at once on different threads? How many waits you can have for a
response from some website out on the web?

If so, what happens when you go over the limit? Do you just wait to
do your send or do you abort? Can you configure this limit? What is
it called?

Steven Simpson

<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/net/http-keepalive.html>

--
ss at comp dot lancs dot ac dot uk

Roedy Green

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:04:20 +0000, Steven Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)>

><http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/net/http-keepalive.html>

What I am doing is probing various online bookstores and online stores
to find out which products they have in stock. Some stores have a
SOAP interface. Others I have to screenscrape.

I might be probing something like 30 different stores at once. I
suppose each one could have a persistent connection.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 08:04:20 +0000, Steven Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)>

><http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/net/http-keepalive.html>

http.maxConnections=<int>
default: 5

Indicates the maximum number of connections per destination to be kept
alive at any given time

But is there an overall limit?