Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SI Comments - Cooper

SI Comments - Cooper

Peter

On 1/13/2013 8:56 PM, Peter wrote:
> On 1/13/2013 8:48 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Unless I continue it after my reincarnation.

>> So, you are a Buddhist-Christian then?
>>

> No! A Descatian: (Cogito ergo sum )

Oops: that should have been "Descartian."

--
PeterN

Peter

On 1/13/2013 9:17 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2013-01-13 18:01:46 -0800, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

<snip>

>> Oops: that should have been "Descartian."

> Aah! A thinking, coordinated worshipper of map projections. That make
> sense.
>

> I think of myself as a "Dudist" leaning atheist.
> < http://dudeism.com/whatisdudeism/ >

I tried that. But my wife had it confused with Aslongasyur Doism.

"As long as you have nothing to do, do this, and while yur attit, do that.

--
PeterN

Rob

On 10/01/2013 3:48 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/street_photography
>
> Good to see "Street" shots elevated to the same importance as the
> letter "M".
>
> I really wish people would give a title to their images so that when
> we discuss an image we can be clear about which image we're
> discussing. I'll assign titles where there are none.
>
> Bowser - "Streetsweeper" lacks anything of interest but the processing
> it good for what it is. Even in "Street", we want something that is
> self-identifying as the subject. The "Sunkist Man" has more going for
> it, but I can't really point at the reason "Why". Maybe it's that the
> figure is dominant in the image.
>
> I'm probably going to take more flak about my cropping preferences,
> but here goes:
>
> Bowser's "Man on the corner" is the most interesting of his three
> takes, but would work better as a vertical with most of the scene to
> the right cropped out.
>
> That brings up something that, to me, is interesting. For "Street", I
> prefer the cropped view, but I also see this corner as the setting for
> another photograph with wide view but without an interesting
> character. The perspective, the diagonals, and all those angles and
> textures and shapes are a scene that doesn't need a central character.
>
> Rob - "Mak'in a Quid" is a good capture. That bare foot is great.
> "On ya bike" is an interesting view of recurring shapes, but not what
> I'd call "Street" even with the bike rider to the top left.
>
> I'm often criticized in the "Street" forum I participate in for
> too-bright colors when I submit in color. Too much vibrancy in
> processing, I guess. But, when it's a color image then I think you
> let the colors show.
>
> Rob didn't hold back in color in "SVP", and it's one of my favorites
> in this SI. Good thing Rob didn't pay attention to the "No
> photography" symbol on the easel. If there's one thing I'd like to
> see that isn't there it's a little more of the pipe. It explains the
> smoke.

these were all taken in Montreal on the same day.

SVP although I don't speak French didn't want to intrude too much into
his space. - and I was sure he wasn't going to turn around and smile.

The bikes fascinated me and the way they hire. Bulk bikes everywhere.

Mak'in a quid thought he was doing it hard, basic tools etc.

> SavageDuck - "Cowboy Hat Man" is just kinda flat. The Duck should've
> waited until the "Man on a Bench" turned a bit to the camera.

I would have liked more of a story with this much room around the man.

> profile could've worked. The "Juggler" is a good catch, but I'd bring
> out the yellow of the object in the air. The image needs one of the
> three objects up in the air, and the one that is kinda gets lost in
> the background.

I thought the background was too busy and more emphases should have gone
into the juggler.

> DanP - When people hear that I like to do "Street", they think that
> all I shoot are bums and down-and-outers. People think that "Street"
> means black and white, gritty shots of the seamy side. Not so.

I tend to see lots of this sort of stuff becomes a bit repetitive after
a while.

> "Street" is what we see on the street. This is what Dan saw, and it
> works well for "Street".

I look more at vibrancy in street scenes instead of doom and gloom