Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals?

How do you clean a Nikon SLR and strap covered in toxic chemicals?

Danny D.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:00:09 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> If you are handling seriously nasty chemicals it is wise to have the
> antidote, cleaning materials and remedial treatments close at hand.

Given urushiol is a specifically nasty toxic biochemical ...

Here is my newly created urushiol antidote kit:

I used it just now on my neck, cheek, ear, wrist, & ankle rashes.

The only thing missing is a non-oily spermicide.

I will go to the drugstore tomorrow to see if I can find it there.

Danny D.

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 09:34:09 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> One way to detox urushiol contamination is described
> in US Patent 4,594,239

> Glad it helps. I would still be inclined to put a sacrificial plastic
> bag outer skin on your camera next time or use a throw away one.

I guess I could tape a bag around the camera, but I don't mind cleaning
the SLR once I know what the trick is. The strap will go in the wash
tomorrow since it's what infected my neck rash.

However, I must thank you again for finding that wonderful patent for
cleaning urushiol. It explained how/why the oxidizer worked, and how to
lower the surface tension, and how to remove the oil altogether.

When I coupled that patent with the ability to read the Zanfel/Technu
ingredients on the box, I came up with this inexpensive, yet hopefully
effective home-grown field kit for detoxifying urushiol sap soaked skin!

I just tried it in the shower on my neck, ear, cheek, wrist, and ankle
rash. It gave a pleasant cool "menthol" feeling on my skin, probably from
a combination of the alcohol and toothpaste.

My last task is to find a non-oily spermicide, if it exists.

Kwincay Ercolinowitz

On 10-Jan-13 05:48, Danny D. wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 10:00:09 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:
>
>> If you are handling seriously nasty chemicals it is wise to have the
>> antidote, cleaning materials and remedial treatments close at hand.

> Given urushiol is a specifically nasty toxic biochemical ...
>
> Here is my newly created urushiol antidote kit:
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11926557.jpg
>
> I used it just now on my neck, cheek, ear, wrist, & ankle rashes.
>
> The only thing missing is a non-oily spermicide.
>
> I will go to the drugstore tomorrow to see if I can find it there.

Negroes often used this chemical whilst riding on the underground
railroad during the Civil War to mask their distinctive odor from eating
loads of collared greens and watermelon. Too bad for them General Lee
caught them when they farted up their porch monkey diet.

Danny D.

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 05:22:12 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

> The Nikon camera and strap are slathered in toxic urushiol:
> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11917747.jpg

I just found out from patent litigation reviews that "Mean Green" might
also clean the Nikon D5000 camera as well as the tremendously more
expensive Zanfel does.

According to the MSDS:
http://www.meangreendegreaser.com/msds-information
Mean Green contains a glycol ether, i.e., 2-butoxyethanol
(spermicide equivalent) and Tetrasodium EDTA (surfactant).

Interestingly, the MSDS says to avoid strong oxidizing agents
(e.g., bleach), so I need to find out why as I plan on
adding an oxidizing agent to my home-made camera cleansing solution.

Danny D.

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 07:46:22 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

> You ask a difficult question. One way to detox urushiol contamination is
> described in US Patent 4,594,239 (a statement of the blindingly obvious
> IMHO and not at all worthy of a patent).

That suggestion is paying off big time as it helped me find this recent
patent application:

http://tinyurl.com/5b78ua
Urushiol induced contact dermatitis solution

The secret ingredient is apparently the ethoxylate (i.e., spermicide).

Here is their summary (verbatim) of the action:

The composition comprises at least one ethoxylate in combination with a
supporting agent. It is believed that this combination binds to the
available urushiol receptors rendering it inactive. The affinity of the
receptors for the ethoxylates also appears to cause a release of the
urushiol from its epidermal bonds for bonding to the composition. An
inert scrubbing agent, such as polyethylene beads, can also be included
to assist in the release of the urushiol.

So, we have the first patent saying the secret ingredient is the
chloramine oxidizer, while this one says it's the non-ionic surfactant.

Point is, combined, that might just make the winning mixture!

Danny D.

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 05:22:12 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

> Since urushiol is known to remain toxic for over 100 years,
> and since it takes only a nanogram to infect a person,
> I ask you experts how YOU clean your SLR cameras and straps without
> destroying them?

UPDATE:

Picture of the results:

Thanks for all the advice.

The Nikon D500 has been swabbed down with the 1:1:1 mixture of oxidizer,
wetting agent, and surfactant (battery & memory card were removed prior).

Surprisingly, the Nikon strap came out of the bleach wash wholly
unscathed! It is in amazing condition, far better than it went into the
wash, as it had never been washed before and it has gone camping,
kayaking, skiing, trailblazing, climbing, cross-country trekking, and
poison oak eradicating.

Thanks again for all your help.

Danny D.

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 02:50:40 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

> Surprisingly, the Nikon strap came out of the bleach wash wholly
> unscathed! It is in amazing condition, far better than it went into the
> wash, as it had never been washed before and it has gone camping,
> kayaking, skiing, trailblazing, climbing, cross-country trekking, and
> poison oak eradicating.

Amazing stuff - whatever that Nikon camera strap is made out of!

I should mention that I used pool liquid chlorine, which is 12% (i.e.,
double strength over household bleach), and that I had placed the camera
strap in with the whites (socks, underwear, towels, sheets, etc.) for a
90 minute hot wash.

I had fullyy expected the camera strap to turn white (or brown), and for
the faux leather to peel off - but it all looks like it's brand new!

Danny D.

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013 19:45:52 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> It is also worth considering using a double glove method which would
> leave your hands protected once the contaminated outer glove layer is
> removed.

I think I'll triple glove next time!

I'm still reading all the patents but they make the stunning observation
that the sap is one to two orders of magnitude more potent than the
leaves!

That dripping sap you saw in my pictures is almost pure urushiol!

So, it turns out that my Nikon D5000 was exposed to a tremendous amount
of very potent urushiol!

REFERENCE: http://tinyurl.com/5b78ua
U.S. Pat. Nos. 5,620,527, 5,011,689 4,499,086, 4,259,318, 4,002,737,
3,862,331, 3,875,301, and 3,922,342.