Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java software naming question

java software naming question

Joshua Cranmer

On 1/8/2013 2:26 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:58:17 -0600, Joshua Cranmer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
> who said :
>
>> hate sentences ending in prepositions

> This is the kind of arrant pedantry I will not up with put!
> ~ Winston Churchill

It's "up with which I will not put", actually. This kind of phrasing is
actually incorrect grammar (so people who would force you into that kind
of situation are hypercorrective), since the verb is not "to put" but
rather "to put up with", so "up" and "with" are actually particles and
not prepositions.

Also, on a side note, I will point out that French requires you to make
"quel" (which) agree with number and gender, whereas English does not.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Joshua Cranmer

On 1/8/2013 9:12 AM, Lew wrote:
> Roedy Green wrote:
>> To boldly go where no man has gone before.
>>
>> I can't think of a better place to put an adverb to make it perfectly
>> clear which verb/adjective it is attached to.

> Boldly to go where no man has gone before.
> To go boldly where no man has gone before.
>
> All are equally clear.

Then how would you render this sentence without splitting an infinitive:
We expect profits to more than double this year.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Joshua Cranmer

On 1/8/2013 9:07 AM, Lew wrote:
> The point is that contrary to your claim of "English" having an obsession,
> English has had a gender-neutral pronoun in use for centuries.

It's called "it".

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth

Lew

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Roedy Green wrote:
>>> To boldly go where no man has gone before.
>>>
>>> I can't think of a better place to put an adverb to make it perfectly
>>> clear which verb/adjective it is attached to.

>> Boldly to go where no man has gone before.
>> To go boldly where no man has gone before.
>>
>> All are equally clear.

Do you deny this assertion?

> Then how would you render this sentence without splitting an infinitive:
> We expect profits to more than double this year.

That infinitive is not split.

The verb is "more than double".

--
Lew

Lew

Joshua Cranmer wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> English has had a gender-neutral pronoun in use for centuries.

> It's called "it".

Funny. The smiley tells me you're joking, and realize that "gender-neutral"
and "neuter gender" are not the same.

--
Lew

johnjagu25@gmail.com

s but content is a matter

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 00:22:41 -0800, Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:58:17 -0600, Joshua Cranmer
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone
>who said :
>
>>well as gender too, and it wouldn't surprise me if it became more
>>prevalent in singular third-person in 400 years.

>English is beginning to use "they" as a singular gender-unspecified
>pronoun. Unless some replacement singular catches on, the number

It has been used for centuries.

>distinction will disappear. "he" is supposed to play that role, but
>you won't find many people defending that view any more.

Because "he" is also used for the masculine. I use "he" for
neuter, because it is the correct form, but I do not like that there
is no differentiation between neuter and masculine.

>Maybe we could borrow the new hen from Swedish.

"hen" being a female bird, we need a different word. I thought
of "per" (short for person):
I - me - my - mine
per - per - per - pers

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Gene Wirchenko

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:27:46 -0600, Joshua Cranmer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 1/8/2013 9:12 AM, Lew wrote:
>> Roedy Green wrote:
>>> To boldly go where no man has gone before.
>>>
>>> I can't think of a better place to put an adverb to make it perfectly
>>> clear which verb/adjective it is attached to.

>> Boldly to go where no man has gone before.
>> To go boldly where no man has gone before.
>>
>> All are equally clear.

HA!

He said boldly to go where no man has gone before.
He said to go boldly where no man has gone before.

Different meanings.

>Then how would you render this sentence without splitting an infinitive:
>We expect profits to more than double this year.

The rule against splitting infinitives comes from
prescriptionists who were trying to make English more Latin-like.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Stuart

On 01/08/2013 Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> "hen" being a female bird, we need a different word. I thought
> of "per" (short for person):
> I - me - my - mine
> per - per - per - pers

What do you think of Gene's suggestion, folks? Hasn't per had a good idea?

See, we are already using it.

Regards,
Stuart

Lew

Stuart wrote:
>Roedy Green wrote:
>>> Maybe we could borrow the new hen from Swedish.

> Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> "hen" being a female bird, we need a different word. I thought
> > of "per" (short for person):
>> I - me - my - mine
>> per - per - per - pers

> What do you think of Gene's suggestion, folks? Hasn't per had a good idea?
>
> See, we are already using it.

The royal "we" is in use there.

I doubt it will fare better than "te/ter" did.

Apparently the English-speaking is so used to having a gender-neutral pronoun already
that it refused to adopt a redundant one.

--
Lew