Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java software naming question

java software naming question

mcheung63@gmail.com

Hi
My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?

thanks
from Peter

Aryeh M. Friedman

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:11:44 AM UTC-5, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi
>
> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
>
> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?
>

> thanks
>
> from Peter

No we just like making stuff plural (I don't but marketing people seem to like it)

Aryeh M. Friedman

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:11:44 AM UTC-5, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi
>
> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
>
> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?

Also note that there are plenty of programs that are not pluralized like most java based applications (tomcats ikkkk!!)

Muco

On 2013-01-07 20:11:44 +1100, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said:

> Hi
> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name
> their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If
> my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is
> hard to say that word?

Most definitely correct. People in western internet love to name their
software with 's' ending. Apart from it being easier to pronounce,
ending a word with 's' helps prevent saliva being ejected from
speaker's mouth into the face of listener. For example, ending a word
with 'p' results in much saliva being ejected. Saliva spray can spread
disease.

Aryeh M. Friedman

> I think the general rule is that if the software named for something
>
> user visible for which the user will see multiple instances it is likely
>
> to have a plural name.

Simpler explanation marketing people are clueless

Gene Wirchenko

On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:03:09 -0800, Patricia Shanahan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 1/7/2013 1:11 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi
>> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
>> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?

>An MS Windows system does not just have one window. Google Documents did
>not just support one document. Google switched to singular for Google
>Drive, presumably because all of a given user's documents appear to be
>on one virtual drive.
>
>I think the general rule is that if the software named for something
>user visible for which the user will see multiple instances it is likely
>to have a plural name.

True in general.

Counterexample: Microsoft Word.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Magnus Warker

On 01/07/2013 05:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jan 2013 07:03:09 -0800, Patricia Shanahan<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/7/2013 1:11 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending, suchs as : windows, google docs.
>>> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound? If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?

>> An MS Windows system does not just have one window. Google Documents did
>> not just support one document. Google switched to singular for Google
>> Drive, presumably because all of a given user's documents appear to be
>> on one virtual drive.
>>
>> I think the general rule is that if the software named for something
>> user visible for which the user will see multiple instances it is likely
>> to have a plural name.

> True in general.
>
> Counterexample: Microsoft Word.

Cool! Is it java software?

Magnus

markspace

On 1/7/2013 9:26 AM, Magnus Warker wrote:

> On 01/07/2013 05:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
>> Counterexample: Microsoft Word.

> Cool! Is it java software?

I prefer to call it Javas. Because the s makes it easier to say. Also
I use softwares, because there's more than one. Also I say Microsoft
Words, because it's easier to say and there's more than one words.

Honestly, I think we're being trolled, but the point is if you don't
know English, hire a translator.

Lew

On Monday, January 7, 2013 1:11:44 AM UTC-8, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My name is Peter, Asisn, In internet, western people love to name their software with a "s" ending,
> suchs as : windows, google docs.
> What is the reason? Is it easier to pronounce with a "s" sound?

"Windows" and "Google Docs" are trademarked names, so that's why we pronounce the "s".

If the product names were "Window" and "Google Doc" we wouldn't.

If my name were "James", you'd pronounce the "s" at the end. My name is "Lew", so you don't.

> If my software doesn't end with a "s", will western people think it is hard to say that word?

Which peoples do you include as "Western"?

I have no problem pronouncing words that do not end in "s", and I'm from the United States.
For example, I find "Lew" very easy to pronounce.

--
Lew

Lew

Muco wrote:
> Most definitely correct. People in western internet love to name their

Muco here is lying to you. Do not believe him.

Muco, us here do not think your post was amusing.

--
Lew