Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Good Python IDE

Good Python IDE

Sourabh Mhaisekar

Hello All,
I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.

Features I am looking for
* Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
* Support for PyGtk and PyQt
* Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS

Thanks !

- Sourabh

Tetsuya

On 01/06/2013 05:45 AM, Sourabh Mhaisekar wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK
> and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which
> gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.
>
> Features I am looking for
> * Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
> * Support for PyGtk and PyQt
> * Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS
>
> Thanks !
>
> - Sourabh

I develop only under GNU/Linux (using Vim, with some plugins like
python-jedi and supertab for autocompletion, Gundo for undo management
in a *very* smart way, etc..), but in the recent past I tried various
IDEs. They're all ugly and/or cumbersome, but it seemed to me that the
less ugly maybe is PyCharm, you could try that.

Colin J. Williams

On 06/01/2013 7:48 AM, Tetsuya wrote:
> On 01/06/2013 05:45 AM, Sourabh Mhaisekar wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK
> > and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which
> > gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.
>>
>> Features I am looking for
>> * Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
>> * Support for PyGtk and PyQt
>> * Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS
>>
>> Thanks !
>>
>> - Sourabh
>>

> I develop only under GNU/Linux (using Vim, with some plugins like
> python-jedi and supertab for autocompletion, Gundo for undo management
> in a *very* smart way, etc..), but in the recent past I tried various
> IDEs. They're all ugly and/or cumbersome, but it seemed to me that the
> less ugly maybe is PyCharm, you could try that.

I would suggest that you look at PyScripter for Windows or Linuz when
Wine is available.

See: http://www.decalage.info/en/python/tutorial

Colin W.

Monte Milanuk

Lots of good options out there... currently I'm liking spyder or eclipse
a lot.

Tim Johnson

* Sourabh Mhaisekar <(E-Mail Removed)> [130106 07:11]:
> Hello All,
> I am recently started couple of projects in Python, one in Python GTK and one in Python Qt. I want a good IDE (For Windows ) for Python which gives support for Python as well as PyGtk and PyQt.
>
> Features I am looking for
> * Support for Core Python Auto-completion.
> * Support for PyGtk and PyQt
> * Support for either Bazaar (preferred) or CVS

I haven't developed on windows in over 10 years, but as I recall,
pythonwin worked well for me at the time. I don't recall whether
the 2nd and 3rd features you refer to were available, but the
first was. It is easy enough to try.

Now I use vim for all of my work. I pretty-much hand-rolled my own
IDE, which is typical of vimmers.
--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com

Almar Klein

IEP has support for integrating the event loops of both GTK and Qt:
https://code.google.com/p/iep/ No version control support though.

- Almar

On 6 January 2013 19:06, Monte Milanuk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Lots of good options out there... currently I'm liking spyder or eclipse a
> lot.

Almar Klein, PhD
Science Applied
phone: +31 6 19268652
e-mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Tetsuya

On 01/06/2013 11:13 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> Now I use vim for all of my work. I pretty-much hand-rolled my own
> IDE, which is typical of vimmers.

I did like you, too.
I use vim for everything: coding in python, django, js, html, C/C++,
bash, even email (inside mutt, of course).
Start with an empty ~/.vimrc, and then build up the configuration day by
day, adding one single plugin at a time, driven by your daily needs,
it's the better thing to do IMHO.
Thus vim becomes a full fledged IDE for everything, and it does it
*your* way, not *its* way.

BTW, vim is available also under Windows.

Tim Johnson

* Tetsuya <(E-Mail Removed)> [130106 14:43]:
> On 01/06/2013 11:13 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
> > Now I use vim for all of my work. I pretty-much hand-rolled my own
> > IDE, which is typical of vimmers.

> I did like you, too.
> I use vim for everything: coding in python, django, js, html, C/C++,
> bash, even email (inside mutt, of course).

Yes, Yes...

> Start with an empty ~/.vimrc, and then build up the configuration day by
> day, adding one single plugin at a time, driven by your daily needs,
> it's the better thing to do IMHO.
> Thus vim becomes a full fledged IDE for everything, and it does it
> *your* way, not *its* way.

Great minds run in the same gutter ...

> BTW, vim is available also under Windows.

Where I started using it.

--
Tim
http://www.akwebsoft.com

Eclipse best/good or bad IDE for Python? seberino@spawar.navy.mil Python 29 12-07-2005 05:18 PM
Python IDE like NetBeans/Delphi IDE fowlertrainer@anonym.hu Python 5 04-06-2005 05:56 AM
A good IDE for Python Hellas Python 3 09-28-2004 10:27 AM
FW: Good IDE for Python Fred Allen Python 3 06-16-2004 07:11 PM
Good IDE for Python Kamilche Python 13 06-16-2004 06:51 PM

Advertisments