Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Windows Installer Error

Windows Installer Error

matttwall@gmail.com

I am running on Windows 7 Professional x64 with latest service pack and I cannot get Python to install. I run the python-3.2.1.msi, and after I selectthe installation directory, I get a popup that says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". 2.7.3, amd64, and older packages all do the exact same thing.

matttwall@gmail.com

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:30:39 AM UTC-6, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am running on Windows 7 Professional x64 with latest service pack and Icannot get Python to install. I run the python-3.2.1.msi, and after I select the installation directory, I get a popup that says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". 2.7.3, amd64, and older packages all do the exact same thing.

NVM, I solved it just this very moment. I found this topic http://superuser..com/questions/4786...msi-installers. It turns outI had to go to my Temp directory and give Full Control to the Everyone group. No idea why the MSI wouldn't have admin rights.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 06:35:50 -0800 (PST), http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) declaimed
the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

> On Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:30:39 AM UTC-6, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I am running on Windows 7 Professional x64 with latest service pack and I cannot get Python to install. I run the python-3.2.1.msi, and after I select the installation directory, I get a popup that says "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor". 2.7.3, amd64, and older packages all do the exact same thing.

> NVM, I solved it just this very moment. I found this topic http://superuser.com/questions/47863...msi-installers. It turns out I had to go to my Temp directory and give Full Control to the Everyone group. No idea why the MSI wouldn't have admin rights.

It's Windows 7... Not even an admin account has full admin rights
(but doesn't need a password to elevate privileges).

I'd have expected a "global" Temp directory to have rights for
everyone in the first place; perhaps something removed that access
earlier -- and since the MSI expected the access, it didn't force
elevated privileges.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
(E-Mail Removed) HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/