Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Can't seem to start on this

Re: Can't seem to start on this

Mitya Sirenef

On 01/02/2013 11:32 PM, Kene Meniru wrote:
> This sounds so simple but being new to python I am finding it hard to get
> started. I want to create a module which I will call "B". There will be
> other modules called "C", "D", etc, which will most likely be

imported in
> "B". Then I want the user to import "B" ONLY into another file I will

call
> "A" in which commands such as the following will be entered:
>
> snap_size = 10
> LinearMark(name)
> LinearMark.put(name, length, rotation, (x,y,z))
>
> The file "A" allows the user to enter commands that provide global

variables
> as well as to use classes provided in modules "C", "D", etc, in the

manner
> shown in the sample above. For example snap_size is a global setting.
> LinearMark(name) creates a linear mark of the provided name.
> LinearMark.put(...) places the LinearMark object using the provided
> parameters, etc.
>
> How can I make this possible? I am guessing I have to instantiate the
> classes in file "B" but typing LinearMark(name) in file "A" generates an
> error. Eventually I will provide a gui but I want to separate usage

so there
> is no dependence on the gui to run this application.
>
> Please help.

Where is snap_size from? Where is LinearMark from? You don't need to
instantiate LinearMark in B, do it in A.

What error do you get when you instantiate LinearMark in A? Please
paste.

If LinearMark is imported in from C, you can do:

B.py
from C import LinearMark

A.py
from B import LinearMark

lmark = LinearMark(name)
lmark.put(...)

Or do you want to use class method of LinearMark?

Since you don't provide any code, it's really hard to tell what you're
doing....

HTH, -m