Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > style guide checker

style guide checker

Philipp Kraus

Hello,

I have got a project written in C++ and I need a "style guide" checker
which can be used by SVN or Git hooks. I would like to add also custom
rules.
The checker must be run under Linux, OSX and Windows and I preferre a
GPL or similar licence.

Does anybody know a good tool? I have found Vera++ but it is not under
devopling anymore.

Thanks

Phil

Ian Collins

Philipp Kraus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have got a project written in C++ and I need a "style guide" checker
> which can be used by SVN or Git hooks. I would like to add also custom
> rules.
> The checker must be run under Linux, OSX and Windows and I preferre a
> GPL or similar licence.
>
> Does anybody know a good tool? I have found Vera++ but it is not under
> devopling anymore.

Why do you need a tool? Just setup your editor to match the required
guidelines.

--
Ian Collins

Jorgen Grahn

On Fri, 2013-01-04, Ian Collins wrote:
> Philipp Kraus wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have got a project written in C++ and I need a "style guide" checker
>> which can be used by SVN or Git hooks. I would like to add also custom
>> rules.
>> The checker must be run under Linux, OSX and Windows and I preferre a
>> GPL or similar licence.
>>
>> Does anybody know a good tool? I have found Vera++ but it is not under
>> devopling anymore.

> Why do you need a tool? Just setup your editor to match the required
> guidelines.

I get the feeling his "style guide" covers more than what an editor
can. Exactly *what* he expects is hard to tell -- it could be
anything from whitespace-related things to naming schemes to
spellchecking of comments.

We are going to use Uncrustify as a commit hook for C code here, but
we haven't started yet so I don't know how well it will turn out. It's
supposedly very configurable. We'll use it for pure whitespace/
indentation issues.

(I would have preferred editor settings + written rules + human
feedback in review, but I was outvoted.)

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .

Bertwim

You could try 'uncrustify' It is excellent.

http://uncrustify.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Bertwim