Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Re: voipconnect.com software

Re: voipconnect.com software

Graham.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 13:26:33 -0000, "Stephen Hammond"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there a way of running two copies of voipconnect software at the same
>time. I'm using dialnow.com and they have higher rates if you use sip based
>software.
>
>Stephen

The provided softphone will, of course, use the SIP protocol too,
despite the implication to the contrary.

I've taken a look at dialnow.com
The business model is different to the other usual Betamax suspects,
as they don't have any concept of included minutes (Freedays)
although calls to Canada are 0p/min

Instead, as you say, they have two tariffs
the first:
http://www.dialnow.com/en/rates
for use with the geographic dial-through numbers and their softphone
0.5p/min to call a UK mobile, very nice

and the second
http://www.dialnow.com/en/sip_rates

for use with BYOD, and also those destinations marked "superdeal" the
unspecified FUP is exceeded. I assume these so-called SIP rates are
the "default rates" mentioned in the footnote on the tariff page.
3.8p/min to call a UK mobile, not so nice

To answer your specific question, it has always been the case that the
logging on a second instance of the Betamax softphone with the same
account will cause the first one to go off line. Generic soft phones
like x-Lite don't do that, but I see your dilemma in this matter.

One other thing. As you say, the softphone you download from
dialnow.com has been branded "VoipConnect" and is universal an as much
that it can be used with other Betamax/Dellmont Sarl brands, such as
voipcheap.co.uk. Up till now, the softphone was specific to it's own
particular clone.

Now, here is my question to you.
If I forward all calls directed to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) to a UK
mobile number using the call forwarding feature within options - call
settings in VoipConnect,
will the call be charged according to

http://www.dialnow.com/en/rates
or
http://www.dialnow.com/en/sip_rates ?

There is some help text that says
(!)each forwarded call to a standard phone number will be charged
VoipConnect credit at <normal rates>. Forwarded calls to other
usernames are free.
<click here> to learn more about call forwarding.

The words in angle brackets are hyperlinks but unhelpfully they just
take you to the VoipConnect download page.

I have the above forwarding scinario currently running on
voipcheap.co.uk for about 3p/min so 0.5p/min would be a no-brainer,
but I suspect we will discover that
SIP rates
Default rates
and Normal rates
all mean the same thing. The Higher rate.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Graham.

>Now, here is my question to you.
>If I forward all calls directed to (E-Mail Removed) to a UK
>mobile number using the call forwarding feature within options - call
>settings in VoipConnect,

snip

>I can't get the voipconnect phone to ring by using sip.

Here is the way I use to get incoming calls, and get 10 consecutive
local numbers into the bargain.

Sign up with www.ukddi.com
and get your free DDIs
Edit the route of one of the numbers to read

sip:(E-Mail Removed)

Now anyone dialling the ddi will ring your dialnow device, including
your voipconnect software.

If you do set this up, I would be grateful if you would divert all
calls immediately to a mobile and make a call, then tell me if the
diverted leg was charged at the lower or higher rate.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%