Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Basic photo question

Basic photo question

Peter

On 1/1/2013 4:10 PM, Steve B wrote:
> Let's say that I change my setting for either aperture, speed, or manual
> priority.
>
> I set the aperture for depth of focus, and the camera selects the speed.
> I set the speed to freeze motion, and the camera selects the aperture.
> I put it on manual, and can set both, even intentionally off if I want to.
>
> Now, the question. I turn on the flash.
>
> Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control of the
> camera, and change any of the settings? I have taken many photos of the
> same thing at many various settings, and I do know the photos come out
> differently. I was just wondering about this part of the camera's actual
> functioning.
>
> I apologize for the basic question, but I want to learn this from the ABC's
> up, and I have a few missing letters.
>
> Steve

See this bawic discussion of flash modes:
<http://www.scantips.com/lights/flashbasics5.html>

--
PeterN

Peter

On 1/2/2013 11:53 AM, Steve B wrote:
> "DanP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> <I agree with your proposition to take lots of test pics.>
>>
>> If you add flash the light distribution in the scene will be different, ie
>> the background will have less light and foreground will be bright but
>> overall the exposure should be right. Check histogram.
>>

>> DanP

> I have decided on the SB-910, and yes, I probably will take a lot of test
> pictures. I also want to investigate an umbrella, as I take hummer photos
> on a davit that swings 8' out from the patio, so that I can get the sky
> behind, and use sun angles. I take about 100 pictures of hummers for one
> that I keep. Good thing it's not film.
>
> Steve

I wish my keeper ratio with hummers was that high.

--
PeterN

Mort

Steve B wrote:
> Let's say that I change my setting for either aperture, speed, or manual
> priority.
>
> I set the aperture for depth of focus, and the camera selects the speed.
> I set the speed to freeze motion, and the camera selects the aperture.
> I put it on manual, and can set both, even intentionally off if I want to.
>
> Now, the question. I turn on the flash.
>
> Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control of the
> camera, and change any of the settings? I have taken many photos of the
> same thing at many various settings, and I do know the photos come out
> differently. I was just wondering about this part of the camera's actual
> functioning.
>
> I apologize for the basic question, but I want to learn this from the ABC's
> up, and I have a few missing letters.
>
> Steve

Hi,

A bit of spare time spent on some tests will save you much grief later
on. Try taking pictures at various settings, then view them, or print
them and view the prints side by side. See what works for you, and what
does not. Although you can check the exif data, I found it easier to
make a written flow sheet to refer to, while comparing the pictures.
What works for one of us might not work for you, so be your own tester.
You won't regret it. As a bonus, you can then delete all the test
exposures from your memory card.

I did this with a new camera regarding the settings for in-camera
sharpening, color, contrast, etc., and was surprised with some of the
results.

Good luck.

Mort Linder

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 17:15:41 -0500, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 1/1/2013 5:32 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
>> On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 17:17:29 -0500, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 14:10:24 -0700, "Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> : Let's say that I change my setting for either aperture, speed, or manual
>>> : priority.
>>> :
>>> : I set the aperture for depth of focus, and the camera selects the speed.
>>> : I set the speed to freeze motion, and the camera selects the aperture.
>>> : I put it on manual, and can set both, even intentionally off if I want to.
>>> :
>>> : Now, the question. I turn on the flash.
>>> :
>>> : Does the camera use the settings I put in, or does it go into control of
>>> : the camera, and change any of the settings? I have taken many photos of
>>> : the same thing at many various settings, and I do know the photos come out
>>> : differently. I was just wondering about this part of the camera's actual
>>> : functioning.

>> On my Nikon, it's even simpler. Just look at the LCD on the back
>> after each shot and read the numbers.
>>
>> I just set it at M, picked a speed and aperture, and fired it with no
>> flash, built-in flash, and external flash. Each photograph was taken
>> at the same speed and aperture that I set.

>I only use manual for high speed synch, so I will only eliminate the
>background. I think you meant to say that while varying the aperture
>will give the same exposure, naturally the depth of field will vary.

I didn't say anything about varying the aperture. All I did was set
speed and aperture in M on my camera and shoot a frame with no flash,
built-in flash, and my external flash. I was looking to see if the
flash affected these two settings. It didn't, and that was the answer
with my camera to the OP's question.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Steve B

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> My external flash (sb700) has solved this problem by firing several times
> during
> the shutter travel time, and can do 1/4000 or faster.

Do you know if that is a feature of the sb910 also?

Steve

Rob

On 4/01/2013 1:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>

>> My external flash (sb700) has solved this problem by firing several times
>> during
>> the shutter travel time, and can do 1/4000 or faster.

> Do you know if that is a feature of the sb910 also?
>
> Steve

Do you have the SB910, if so have you checked the manual.

Steve B

news:kc5khf$445$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 4/01/2013 1:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>

>>> My external flash (sb700) has solved this problem by firing several
>>> times
>>> during
>>> the shutter travel time, and can do 1/4000 or faster.

>> Do you know if that is a feature of the sb910 also?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> Do you have the SB910, if so have you checked the manual.

Am considering it to go with a D7000.

Steve

me

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 15:07:10 +1100, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 4/01/2013 1:26 PM, Steve B wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>

>>> My external flash (sb700) has solved this problem by firing several times
>>> during
>>> the shutter travel time, and can do 1/4000 or faster.

>> Do you know if that is a feature of the sb910 also?
>>
>> Steve
>>

>Do you have the SB910, if so have you checked the manual.

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...ail/a_id/17628

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The problem is that lots of cameras suck and have minimum exposure times
> of 1/160s or 1/250s with the flash on, i.e. you can't for instance shoot
> at 1/1000s or 1/2000s if you are using the flash.

Couple solutions:
- Use an ND filter
- Use a lower ISO setting (if available)
- Set the flash to a say 70kHz flicker. Called FP with Canon.
Costs some light (the more the faster the shutter is) and ---
of course --- doesn't flash freeze any more.

> This is a problem for instance if you are shooting at wide apertures in
> bright light and are using the flash for fill-in. The damned cameras
> instead of allowing 1/2000s will force 1/160s and this will result in
> huge overexposures.

The cameras can even do 1/4000s and 1/8000s.

> This problem apparently comes from the mechanical shutter which is still
> in use in many cameras, especially DSLRs. Could be solved if camera
> makers finally got rid of mechanical shutters and used electronic
> shutters instead.

Have you ever considered that there may be drawbacks to an
electronic 'shutter' which are much greater than the advantages
you get from a higher sync speed? Sensor and camera makers
would switch immediately to electronic shutter for DSLRs,
if that was advantageous. Instead they prefer a mechanical
shutter which needs space and high-tech engineering for a usable
life span ... so basically either they *all* are braindead or
they know something you don't.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

David Dyer-Bennet <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Generally, if a modern camera is set in a half-automatic mode (aperture
> priority or shutter priority), the thing you set will remain as you set
> it, and the overall exposure chosen by the camera will be primarily
> based on the flash.

Really? Last I read, Canon is claimed to use fill flash mode
over LV 10 ('dreary London overcast outside light levels').
Which makes sense ...

-Wolfgang