Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > n-dimensional raytracer

n-dimensional raytracer

Thorsten Kiefer

Hi,
this is an example program :

https://github.com/toki78/RayMultiDim.git
https://github.com/toki78/CPURootBeer.git

Needs at least an 8-core cpu.

Best Regards
Thorsten

Lew

Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
> this is an example program :

For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
the body of the post proper.

> https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
> https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git
>
> Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
(it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

Care to share?

But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

--
Lew

Joerg Meier

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:21:40 -0800 (PST), Lew wrote:

> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>> this is an example program :

> For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
> the body of the post proper.
>> https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
>> https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git

>> Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

> Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

> What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

> I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
> (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

> Care to share?

> But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,
everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.

I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
and probably never programmed for a living.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

ungelesen.

Lew

Joerg Meier wrote:
> Lew wrote:
>> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>>> this is an example program :

>> For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
>> the body of the post proper.
>>> https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
>>> https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git

>>> Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

>> Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

>> What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

>> I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
>> (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

>> Care to share?

>> But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

> It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

Good news. Then it's on topic.

> everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
> look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
> old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.
>
> I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
> of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
> port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
> and probably never programmed for a living.

So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
your post?

Are you looking for comments? Advice?

--
Lew

Thorsten Kiefer

Am 01.01.2013 23:17, schrieb Lew:
> Joerg Meier wrote:
>>> For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
>>> the body of the post proper.

>>> Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

>>> What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

>>> I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
>>> (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

>>> Care to share?

>>> But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

>> It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

> Good news. Then it's on topic.
>
>> everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
>> look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
>> old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.
>>
>> I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
>> of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
>> port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
>> and probably never programmed for a living.

> So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
> your post?
>
> Are you looking for comments? Advice?

Yes, I would like some comments
The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
realtime.

Regards
Thorsten

Lew

Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
> schrieb Lew:
>> Joerg Meier wrote:

[snip]

> [snip]
>
>>> It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

>> Good news. Then it's on topic.

>>> everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
>>> look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
>>> old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.

>>> I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
>>> of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
>>> port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
>>> and probably never programmed for a living.

>> So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
>> your post?
>> Are you looking for comments? Advice?

> Yes, I would like some comments

Be careful what you wish for.

> The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
> realtime.

How did you relate that to number of cores?

Your code needs an awful lot of work. You've got source that does nothing, Swing GUIs
started off the EDT, non-conventional variable names and indentation, and the issues Joerg
mentioned.

Check out the Java online tutorials at oracle.com and snoop around there for the Java
coding conventions.

If you make a request to the newsgroup, you have to actually state what the request is.

Thank you for responding to our questions.

--
Lew

Arne Vajhøj

On 1/2/2013 5:04 AM, Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
> Am 01.01.2013 23:17, schrieb Lew:
>> Joerg Meier wrote:

> The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
> realtime.

So it will render in realtime with 8 core no matter
the speed of those core or what ISA they are?

How do you achieve that in Java? Test on number
of cores?

Arne

bob smith

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 10:09:53 AM UTC-6, Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is an example program :
>

> https://github.com/toki78/RayMultiDim.git
>
> https://github.com/toki78/CPURootBeer.git
>

> Needs at least an 8-core cpu.
>

> Best Regards
>
> Thorsten

If it is n-dimensional, what values of n make sense other than 3?

Stefan Ram

bob smith <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>If it is n-dimensional, what values of n make sense other than 3?

»We demonstrate our method on scenes with a 3 to 5
dimensional space«

hachisuka08multidimensional.pdf

Lew

Stefan Ram wrote:
> bob smith writes:
>> If it is n-dimensional, what values of n make sense other than 3?

> »We demonstrate our method on scenes with a 3 to 5
> dimensional space«
>
> hachisuka08multidimensional.pdf

We should google for this, eh?

--