Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sizedportions for burning?

Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sizedportions for burning?

nospam

In article <5fWEs.982008$(E-Mail Removed)4>, DanP <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >> That's the way of this group, Brian. If you are not doing things the
> >> way certain other people do them, they will tell you how wrong you are.
> >> SavageDuck will tell you, but in a polite and informative way. nospam
> >> will rudely tell you that you are a foolish Luddite who will not let
> >> the computer do the work for you.

> > tony will let you do stupid things that will end up hurting you in the
> > long run. he doesn't actually care if you lose data.

> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.

nope. tony said the person wants to back up to dvd so don't tell him to
change.

nospam

In article <ZPXEs.17832$(E-Mail Removed)>, gordo <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Has anyone addressed the problem of storing your backups offsite?

i mentioned it several times.

> Your house
> could be destroyed by natural or man-made disaster; fire, earthquake, gas
> explosion, etc. I have only around 12000 photos. I do back up to DVDs and
> store them in a bank safety deposit box.
>
> Of course, this is not the only way, you could have a friend store a hard
> drive and you could store his.
>
> My point is that you should consider a different location for your backups.

not only consider, but actually do it.

nospam

In article <kc1hg5$kgv$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> | > What are you doing to deserve such bad luck?
> |
> | I'm an old man. Lost much data.
> | Over time, all electronics go kaput.
> | And, at the worst time.
> |
> I'm with you. USB is good and external hard drives are
> OK. RAID arrays are good in a corporate situation where
> all data is critical. But one close lightning strike, power
> surge, or short circuit that blows the power supply will
> fry both RAID drives.

only if you have a crappy raid. a surge might fry the power supply if
it's cheap, but it will rarely, if ever, fry the drives.

i've had a few surges, one caused by a squirrel outside my window who
climbed a pole and electrocuted himself, taking out the power to the
neighborhood. you could smell the burnt meat for many hours. anyway,
one of my hard drives fried in the surge, so i took the drive mechanism
out and put it in a new enclosure and was back in business.

not that it really matters since there's always multiple backups.

also, raid is *not* a backup.

> I've experienced the two latter
> cases.

get a surge suppressor.

> In 2001 there was a massive power failure in the
> Northeast US and I didn't have a UPS. There was apparently
> a giant surge as the Massachusetts power grid auto-
> disconnected from the rest of the country. My PC was
> running at the time. It rebooted by itself and everything
> was gone.

if it rebooted, then everything was *not* gone.

that means that the data was likely still there and could easily be
recovered with a recovery utility.

> I like to back up work and settings to partitions on a
> second hard disk, then write that periodically to CD. Nothing
> I do is so critical that it needs instant RAID backup. I prefer
> to just have a second hard disk with partitions that I can use.
> ANNEX and STORAGE are on drive #1. CLOSET, ATTIC and
> BACK 40 are on drive #2. C drive is only a 3GB partition
> with software installed, so that if I lose Windows I can restore
> a disk image and be back up quickly without affecting data. In
> these times of 100+ GB hard disks it makes no sense to have
> a single partition.

it makes no sense to have multiple partitions anymore unless you need
to boot off different system versions for development.

another problem is you can't predict how much space you will need on a
given partition, which means you will run out of space on one partition
and have wasted space on another. plus it's a pain to manage for
backups.

> I also use DVDs but don't have nearly the
> volume of data you're talking about. My first reaction would be,
> "Why do you save so many photos, and why at such large
> resolution?" But that's none of my business.

1 terabyte of photos is not that many photos especially these days with
40 megabyte raw files.

he said he has kids and takes lots of photos and videos. it's not
surprising he can fill a terabyte drive with just photos, nevermind
videos.

> If you want to write it all to DVDs, the re-organizing
> could be done with a script. I'd be surprised if there's
> software specifically for that. I'd be more surprised if
> there's software that will sort your folders *and* set up
> a DVD queue.

then be surprised, since there is.

> But I wonder how you find your photos after you've shuffled
> them around. And if you don't mind shuffling them around
> then why not just store them in DVD-size folders in the first
> place?

that was the problem he had, managing dvd size folders. he wants to
automate it.

unfortunately, dvd backup is a dumb idea. buy a backup drive and just
clone it. done. better yet, buy two and keep one off site.

Mayayana

| I do back up to DVDs and
| store them in a bank safety deposit box.

I do the same, but I usually don't admit to it publicly.

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 06:49:09 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-01-02 05:04:01 -0800, DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 03:35:45 -0500, nospam wrote:

>>> tony will let you do stupid things that will end up hurting you in the
>>> long run. he doesn't actually care if you lose data.

>> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.
>>
>> If you care if he loses his data you have to get your point across and
>> antagonising will never help.
>>
>> DanP

>The issue is, not whether Tony, or any of us care if Brian loses his
>data, it is Brian's outright rejection of good advice, given in the
>various expressions of sincerity each of us have been able to muster.

Why is there anything wrong with Brian rejecting advice? Brian
evidently has a system that he's comfortable with that works for him.
He didn't ask for suggestions for a better system; he asked if there
is software around that would make one step in his present system a
bit easier.

There were a few suggestions about what software might do this, but
the discussion turned to suggestions about another system. It wasn't
just a discussion, either. nospam, in his usual bullying bombastic
style, insulted the man six ways from the middle for not seeing the
wisdom of nospam's way of doing things.

For Christ's sake...if the man wants to do it his way, let him.

He isn't necessarily going to lose any data his way. There's a
possibility, but there's a possibility of loss of data in any system.

>Right or wrong, I try to give whatever advice I can in good faith, and
>all I ask is the recipient consider it. I believe Tony feels the same.
>Brian used the most feeble of reasons, in this of all groups, to tell
>us he was never going to listen to us because his age justified his
>position.

That's his prerogative.

>He was determined to use the most time consuming, least convenient, and
>most unreliable backup method, in the face of good advice.

Yeah, but so what? They're his images. It's his time. He can utilize
it any way he wants.

>All he does is splutter on about being an "old man" without even saying thanks for
>our efforts to provide good information.

After the comments made about him, including your reference to his
spluttering old man feeble responses, why should he be grateful? He
came asking a specific question and was pilloried for not doing what
some of think is the best way to do things. He didn't get a good
answer to his specific question. What does he have to be thankful
about?

>With that attitude,

Who has the "attitude" here? Brian, who is comfortable in doing
things the way he's doing them, or the people who ridicule and insult
Brian for not doing things in what they consider to be the right way?

>several
>hundred DVD's as a backup, and little guaranty that the full set would
>be intact if the need to access his archive should ever arise, why
>should any of us care when he obviously does not?

Exactly.

I think you, and others, did the right thing in bringing up other ways
to back-up his images. That could have been helpful to him. It
stopped being the right thing, though, when it became an insulting
dialog because Brian wasn't interested in following the suggestions.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Tony Cooper

On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 09:55:45 -0500, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> > tony will let you do stupid things that will end up hurting you in the
>> > long run. he doesn't actually care if you lose data.

>> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.

>nope. tony said the person wants to back up to dvd so don't tell him to
>change.

I said that I back-up on external hard drives and in the Lightroom
back-up function, but that if Brian wants to continue to use his
present system that that's Brian's decision to make.

You, or I, have no business *telling* him to change. You can suggest
an alternative system, and discuss the benefits of an alternative
system, but it's Brian's decision to make.

Just in case you don't understand, yes, I do feel that if he wants to
continue to back-up on DVD that we should not tell him to change.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Wally

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 06:49:09 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-01-02 05:04:01 -0800, DanP <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Jan 2013 03:35:45 -0500, nospam wrote:

>>> tony will let you do stupid things that will end up hurting you in the
>>> long run. he doesn't actually care if you lose data.

>> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.
>>
>> If you care if he loses his data you have to get your point across and
>> antagonising will never help.
>>
>> DanP

>The issue is, not whether Tony, or any of us care if Brian loses his
>data, it is Brian's outright rejection of good advice, given in the
>various expressions of sincerity each of us have been able to muster.
>
>Right or wrong, I try to give whatever advice I can in good faith, and
>all I ask is the recipient consider it. I believe Tony feels the same.
>Brian used the most feeble of reasons, in this of all groups, to tell
>us he was never going to listen to us because his age justified his
>position.
>
>He was determined to use the most time consuming, least convenient, and
>most unreliable backup method, in the face of good advice. All he does
>is splutter on about being an "old man" without even saying thanks for
>our efforts to provide good information. With that attitude, several
>hundred DVD's as a backup, and little guaranty that the full set would
>be intact if the need to access his archive should ever arise, why
>should any of us care when he obviously does not?
>
>It is certainly no skin off this old fart's nose, regardless of
>whatever unreliable backup method that old fart uses.

You go into a bar and say, Give me a whisky. The bartender replies,
No, a milk would be much better for you.

But it's none of the bartender's business, even if he is right!

You can certainly provide the advice you think you should, but it's
the OP's decision, not yours, whether to follow it.

Wally

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.

> >nope. tony said the person wants to back up to dvd so don't tell him to
> >change.

> I said that I back-up on external hard drives and in the Lightroom
> back-up function, but that if Brian wants to continue to use his
> present system that that's Brian's decision to make.
>
> You, or I, have no business *telling* him to change. You can suggest
> an alternative system, and discuss the benefits of an alternative
> system, but it's Brian's decision to make.

yes it is his decision, but by posting in a public forum, he is going
to get criticism for bad decisions.

> Just in case you don't understand, yes, I do feel that if he wants to
> continue to back-up on DVD that we should not tell him to change.

that's where we disagree.

he is headed for disaster if he doesn't change his ways. he will lose
photos if he continues with what he's doing.

i'd rather not see him lose his precious photos, ones that cannot be
replaced.

you obviously don't care if he loses photos.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Tony just told him to go the HDD way but he knows that it not happen.
> >>
> >> If you care if he loses his data you have to get your point across and
> >> antagonising will never help.
> >>
> >> DanP

> >The issue is, not whether Tony, or any of us care if Brian loses his
> >data, it is Brian's outright rejection of good advice, given in the
> >various expressions of sincerity each of us have been able to muster.

> Why is there anything wrong with Brian rejecting advice? Brian
> evidently has a system that he's comfortable with that works for him.

it's obviously *not* working for him, otherwise he wouldn't have asked
how to burn hundreds of dvds.

> He didn't ask for suggestions for a better system; he asked if there
> is software around that would make one step in his present system a
> bit easier.

which was answered.

unfortunately, his system is just asking for trouble. it needs to
change.

> There were a few suggestions about what software might do this, but
> the discussion turned to suggestions about another system. It wasn't
> just a discussion, either. nospam, in his usual bullying bombastic
> style, insulted the man six ways from the middle for not seeing the
> wisdom of nospam's way of doing things.

i didn't insult him at all. i criticized his choice of backup method.
not him.

i also said his claims about nonstandard connectors and hard drives
being unreliable were bogus, which they most definitely are. that's not
a matter of opinion.

> For Christ's sake...if the man wants to do it his way, let him.

if he wants to do meth, let him. hey it's his choice.

he's playing with fire and he will get burned. you obviously don't care
what he does.

> He isn't necessarily going to lose any data his way. There's a
> possibility, but there's a possibility of loss of data in any system.

wrong. very wrong.

there is a *significant* probability he will lose data if he does it
his way. in fact, it's nearly guaranteed, if for no other reason that
keeping track of which photos are where is near impossible and he could
easily skip something and not realize it.

then there's dvd failure, plus he'll have to replace his dvd burner
fairly frequently if he regularly burns that many dvds.

on the other hand, the likelihood of losing data with multiple hard
drive backup is almost zero. for that to happen, *all* hard drives
would have to fail at the same time, and with one drive off site, the
chances of that is *so* close to zero that it can be considered zero.

if a natural disaster takes out his house *and* a hard drive many miles
away, then there's going to be a lot more to worry about than the hard
drives.

> >Right or wrong, I try to give whatever advice I can in good faith, and
> >all I ask is the recipient consider it. I believe Tony feels the same.
> >Brian used the most feeble of reasons, in this of all groups, to tell
> >us he was never going to listen to us because his age justified his
> >position.

> That's his prerogative.
> >
> >He was determined to use the most time consuming, least convenient, and
> >most unreliable backup method, in the face of good advice.

> Yeah, but so what? They're his images. It's his time. He can utilize
> it any way he wants.

he can, but as has been said, there are much better ways.

> >All he does is splutter on about being an "old man" without even saying
> >thanks for our efforts to provide good information.

> After the comments made about him, including your reference to his
> spluttering old man feeble responses, why should he be grateful? He
> came asking a specific question and was pilloried for not doing what
> some of think is the best way to do things. He didn't get a good
> answer to his specific question. What does he have to be thankful
> about?

he got an answer to his question, but he should be thankful that people
pointed out that his backup method is deeply flawed. he *will* lose
images if he continues, something he doesn't want to happen.

as i said, he might as well save the time and money because it's not
really a backup at all. it's really a waste of time.

> >With that attitude,

> Who has the "attitude" here? Brian, who is comfortable in doing
> things the way he's doing them, or the people who ridicule and insult
> Brian for not doing things in what they consider to be the right way?

you, for ridiculing those who don't want to see him lose photos.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wally
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You go into a bar and say, Give me a whisky. The bartender replies,
> No, a milk would be much better for you.

bartenders cut people off all the time.

if you've had dozens of drinks and can barely stand up, they might say
no more drinks for you.

> But it's none of the bartender's business, even if he is right!

actually, it is.

bartenders have been held responsible for injuries or deaths from
having served the person booze.