Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sizedportions for burning?

Freeware that will split large picture databases into DVD-sizedportions for burning?

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 00:16:23 -0500, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >which means non-image files are at risk plus any images you didn't burn
>> >immediately after processing (you said 'some').

>> What "non-image files"? Text and spreadsheets?

>anything else you have on your computer.

What is "anything else"?

>> Nothing in those that
>> I worry about risking,

>seriously? do you not use your computer for anything but photos?

All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
what is *done* with the computer. For example, I do all of my banking
activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
to your silly-ass arguments.

One only backs-up what is retained.

>> but they can be backed-up on a CD.

>just one cd for all your non-image files? you must not do a whole lot
>with that computer.

A few spread sheets. A few letters. All would fit on one CD. I
don't download movies or other stuff.

>> Programs?
>> I have the original install disks or I'm registered at any site that
>> I've downloaded for-pay stuff.

>so when (not if) your hard drive crashes,

I thought you were maintaining that hard drives don't crash. Is there
a difference between the hard drive in the computer and an external
hard drive?

> My first computer was an Archives CP/M with no internal drive at all.
> Programs were inserted on 8" disks in A drive, and data was saved on a
> disk in the B drive.

>that's nice. what does that have to do with today's computers?

People like me who have been using computers since the CP/M days (and
some here probably go further back than I do) get a pretty good idea
of what the perils are and how to minimize them.

>> I finally threw out all my floppy disks and ZIP drive disks, but I may
>> still have some diskettes in the closet. I started on those when I
>> bought an IBM PS/2.

>probably not readable anyway.

Dunno. I don't have a diskette bay. Be interesting to see if the
data is still there. I expect it would be.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> What "non-image files"? Text and spreadsheets?

> >anything else you have on your computer.

> What is "anything else"?

how would i know what you have on your computer?

> >> Nothing in those that
> >> I worry about risking,

> >seriously? do you not use your computer for anything but photos?

> All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
> what is *done* with the computer.

wrong. if you do something on the computer you will want to retain that
work, otherwise, why bother taking the time to do it?

> For example, I do all of my banking
> activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
> regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
> retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
> to your silly-ass arguments.

once again, you are assuming how *you* do things is how everyone else
does things.

first of all, many people keep their email on their computer. many
people keep their financial records on the computer, both their
personal finance as well as income taxes. many people use their
computers for work, including software development, writing books,
designing web sites, composing music, accounting, cad/cam, etc.

second, there are all your apps and their settings (including license
codes, browser bookmarks & cookies, etc.) as well as music, movies and
books.

to say nothing is retained is sheer idiocy. you couldn't be more wrong.

> One only backs-up what is retained.

maybe you do, but those who know better back up whatever is necessary
to restore the system to the same condition it was before disaster
struck in the least amount of time.

they're not interested in some long drawn out convoluted multi-step
process that requires installing all of their apps one by one and then
match it up with their data and even then they might have lost stuff.

they want to just swap a clone drive or click restore and be back in
business.

> >> but they can be backed-up on a CD.

> >just one cd for all your non-image files? you must not do a whole lot
> >with that computer.

> A few spread sheets. A few letters. All would fit on one CD. I
> don't download movies or other stuff.

it's blatantly obvious that you don't do much with your computer. you
say you keep nothing important on it, other than photos. you probably
don't even need a traditional computer. get an ipad. backups are
automatic.

> >> Programs?
> >> I have the original install disks or I'm registered at any site that
> >> I've downloaded for-pay stuff.

> >so when (not if) your hard drive crashes,

> I thought you were maintaining that hard drives don't crash.

i never said that. stop lying about what i say.

> Is there
> a difference between the hard drive in the computer and an external
> hard drive?

yes. one's internal and one isn't. what kind of stupid question is
that?

the hard drive mechanism is likely similar, probably differing in
capacity, and possibly also size and/or interface. maybe the
manufacturer is different too. who cares.

> > My first computer was an Archives CP/M with no internal drive at all.
> > Programs were inserted on 8" disks in A drive, and data was saved on a
> > disk in the B drive.

> >that's nice. what does that have to do with today's computers?

> People like me who have been using computers since the CP/M days (and
> some here probably go further back than I do) get a pretty good idea
> of what the perils are and how to minimize them.

based on what you've written, you sure as hell do not. you haven't a
clue about how to minimize any perils. you're actually increasing them.

> >> I finally threw out all my floppy disks and ZIP drive disks, but I may
> >> still have some diskettes in the closet. I started on those when I
> >> bought an IBM PS/2.

> >probably not readable anyway.

> Dunno. I don't have a diskette bay. Be interesting to see if the
> data is still there. I expect it would be.

for the zips maybe, but for the floppies more than likely not.

Mayayana

| >seriously? do you not use your computer for anything but photos?
|
| All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
| what is *done* with the computer. For example, I do all of my banking
| activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
| regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
| retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
| to your silly-ass arguments.
|
| One only backs-up what is retained.

Interesting point.

I'm surprised by how many people really don't need any
backup. They use webmail, print out their docs, and never
regarded their PC as dependable in the first place. It
often happens that I try to help someone salvage their
crashed PC and it turns out that they only care about
getting it working: "There was nothing important on there."

| >> but they can be backed-up on a CD.
| >
| >just one cd for all your non-image files? you must not do a whole lot
| >with that computer.
|
| A few spread sheets. A few letters. All would fit on one CD. I
| don't download movies or other stuff.

I easily back up everything to a single CD. That includes
all programming code and website work for 10 years. It
also includes some photos, exotic software installers, fonts,
business docs, all program settings, all email and newsgroups,
all current things I've got on my Desktop, and much more.
800 MB is a *very* big volume when the files are not video
and sound recordings, or 25 MB photos.

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 02:28:19 -0500, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> >anything else you have on your computer.

>> What is "anything else"?

>how would i know what you have on your computer?

>> >seriously? do you not use your computer for anything but photos?

>> All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
>> what is *done* with the computer.

>wrong. if you do something on the computer you will want to retain that
>work, otherwise, why bother taking the time to do it?

You mean why should I bother paying my bills? Why should I take the
time to pay bills when I don't retain anything on my computer in
regard to online banking?

Why should I bother reading my email and sending email because I don't
retain email?

Do you not understand how online banking or email works?

Do you not understand how internet forums on photography work where
nothing is retained on the computer? Or maintaining a photo-hosting
website like SmugMug?

> For example, I do all of my banking
>> activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
>> regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
>> retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
>> to your silly-ass arguments.

>once again, you are assuming how *you* do things is how everyone else
>does things.

Yes, but all of it is in response to your comments about my back-up
protocol. What other people do is irrelevant.

>second, there are all your apps and their settings (including license
>codes, browser bookmarks & cookies, etc.) as well as music, movies and
>books.

Nothing to do with back-up. When I re-install something that has
either disappeared or needs to be re-installed on a new computer any
passwords or license codes are simply re-entered from physical notes
not on the computer. It would be foolish to keep that information
only on the computer because it's not known what will fail.

>it's blatantly obvious that you don't do much with your computer. you
>say you keep nothing important on it, other than photos. you probably
>don't even need a traditional computer. get an ipad. backups are
>automatic.

Yeah, I'm going to use Photoshop on an iPad. Why not on a mobile
phone?

>> >so when (not if) your hard drive crashes,

>> I thought you were maintaining that hard drives don't crash.

>i never said that. stop lying about what i say.

Oh, yeah...you've maintained that all along in your defense of
external drives over disks.

>> Is there
>> a difference between the hard drive in the computer and an external
>> hard drive?

>yes. one's internal and one isn't. what kind of stupid question is
>that?
>
>the hard drive mechanism is likely similar, probably differing in
>capacity, and possibly also size and/or interface. maybe the
>manufacturer is different too. who cares.

Mechanically the same doing the same functions in the same way and
subject to the same potential problems.

More silly-ass arguments from you.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

nospam

In article <kc6qj2$90f$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> | >seriously? do you not use your computer for anything but photos?
> |
> | All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
> | what is *done* with the computer. For example, I do all of my banking
> | activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
> | regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
> | retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
> | to your silly-ass arguments.
> |
> | One only backs-up what is retained.
> |

> Interesting point.
>
> I'm surprised by how many people really don't need any
> backup. They use webmail, print out their docs, and never
> regarded their PC as dependable in the first place. It
> often happens that I try to help someone salvage their
> crashed PC and it turns out that they only care about
> getting it working: "There was nothing important on there."

that's the exception and you know it.

one reason for that is they have their stuff in the cloud, although
it's unlikely that *everything* they do would be in the cloud.

> | >just one cd for all your non-image files? you must not do a whole lot
> | >with that computer.
> |
> | A few spread sheets. A few letters. All would fit on one CD. I
> | don't download movies or other stuff.
>
> I easily back up everything to a single CD. That includes
> all programming code and website work for 10 years. It
> also includes some photos, exotic software installers, fonts,
> business docs, all program settings, all email and newsgroups,
> all current things I've got on my Desktop, and much more.
> 800 MB is a *very* big volume when the files are not video
> and sound recordings, or 25 MB photos.

if 10 years of programming fit on a single cd, including websites and
installers, you don't write very much code and certainly nothing
complicated, if you write any at all, that is. you also don't get much
email either.

nospam

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> All that's at question here is what is *retained* on the computer, not
> >> what is *done* with the computer.

> >wrong. if you do something on the computer you will want to retain that
> >work, otherwise, why bother taking the time to do it?

> You mean why should I bother paying my bills? Why should I take the
> time to pay bills when I don't retain anything on my computer in
> regard to online banking?
>
> Why should I bother reading my email and sending email because I don't
> retain email?
>
> Do you not understand how online banking or email works?

much more than you do.

> Do you not understand how internet forums on photography work where
> nothing is retained on the computer? Or maintaining a photo-hosting
> website like SmugMug?

every single photo you've ever taken is on smugmug? is that what you
call a backup???

do you not understand that people who actually use their computers for
real work (which you clearly do not) will want to keep their work?
accountants, web designers, software developers, book authors, etc.,
will all have a *lot* of stuff they will *not* want to lose because you
say nothing needs to be retained. in many cases, they're required by
law to keep it.

the level of ignorance you display is staggering.

> > For example, I do all of my banking
> >> activity on the computer. Nothing is retained on the computer
> >> regarding this. Email is not retained on the computer. Nothing is
> >> retained on the computer to show all of the posts I've made replying
> >> to your silly-ass arguments.

> >once again, you are assuming how *you* do things is how everyone else
> >does things.

> Yes, but all of it is in response to your comments about my back-up
> protocol. What other people do is irrelevant.

i was talking about burning to dvds in general, not you specifically.

you happen to be among those who do that.

> >second, there are all your apps and their settings (including license
> >codes, browser bookmarks & cookies, etc.) as well as music, movies and
> >books.

> Nothing to do with back-up.

it has everything to do with backup. if you don't restore everything,
you've lost data, possibly rendering the apps unusable.

is the tony method of music backup to re-encode every cd all over again?

> When I re-install something that has
> either disappeared or needs to be re-installed on a new computer any
> passwords or license codes are simply re-entered from physical notes
> not on the computer. It would be foolish to keep that information
> only on the computer because it's not known what will fail.

what's foolish is having to reinstall everything from scratch.

if you reinstall the app and reenter the license code, you still don't
have its settings. plus, it's a shitload of time to do all that anyway.

and you keep codes on physical notes?? seriously?? wow. you *really*
like doing things the hard way.

> >it's blatantly obvious that you don't do much with your computer. you
> >say you keep nothing important on it, other than photos. you probably
> >don't even need a traditional computer. get an ipad. backups are
> >automatic.

> Yeah, I'm going to use Photoshop on an iPad. Why not on a mobile
> phone?

not only is there photoshop for ipad but there are hundreds of other
image editing apps, many of them quite good and some of them work on an
iphone too. certainly adjusting the common stuff such as exposure and
colour balance is well within the realm of a tablet and even a phone.

an ipad is also ideal for mobile banking, email as well as continuing
to make a fool out of yourself on usenet.

> >> I thought you were maintaining that hard drives don't crash.

> >i never said that. stop lying about what i say.

> Oh, yeah...you've maintained that all along in your defense of
> external drives over disks.

i did not maintain any such thing. you're lying again.

what i said was that hard drives are significantly more reliable than
dvds, and they are. i never said they don't crash. stop twisting
things.

nothing is perfect, and drives do sometimes fail, which is why you make
backups in the first place.

i also said that it's important to have multiple backups with one copy
off site. now why would i say that if hard drives never crashed?

further proof you haven't a clue and are twisting things solely to
argue just for the sake of arguing.

> >> Is there
> >> a difference between the hard drive in the computer and an external
> >> hard drive?

> >yes. one's internal and one isn't. what kind of stupid question is
> >that?
> >
> >the hard drive mechanism is likely similar, probably differing in
> >capacity, and possibly also size and/or interface. maybe the
> >manufacturer is different too. who cares.

> Mechanically the same doing the same functions in the same way and
> subject to the same potential problems.

so what's your point?

any hard drive can fail, which is why you have multiple backups. the
more important the data the more copies you should have at any given
moment.

> More silly-ass arguments from you.

the only silly ass arguments is your babble from a lack of
understanding about proper backup protocols.

Mayayana

| > I'm surprised by how many people really don't need any
| > backup. They use webmail, print out their docs, and never
| > regarded their PC as dependable in the first place. It
| > often happens that I try to help someone salvage their
| > crashed PC and it turns out that they only care about
| > getting it working: "There was nothing important on there."
|
| that's the exception and you know it.

Again, I'm talking about my experience and not your
fantasy of my experience.

| if 10 years of programming fit on a single cd, including websites and
| installers, you don't write very much code and certainly nothing
| complicated, if you write any at all, that is. you also don't get much
| email either.

And my grandmother wears army boots, I suppose?
I think we can all at least agree that you'd do well
not to look for work in the hospitality industry.

nospam

In article <kc74km$avp$(E-Mail Removed)>, Mayayana
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> | > I'm surprised by how many people really don't need any
> | > backup. They use webmail, print out their docs, and never
> | > regarded their PC as dependable in the first place. It
> | > often happens that I try to help someone salvage their
> | > crashed PC and it turns out that they only care about
> | > getting it working: "There was nothing important on there."
> |
> | that's the exception and you know it.
>
> Again, I'm talking about my experience and not your
> fantasy of my experience.

nope, you're projecting your limited experience onto the world. you're
very out of touch with typical users.

the vast majority of computer users would *not* say 'there's nothing
important on there.' they'd be in a panic wanting their precious files
back because they, like most computer users, don't have a good backup.

nospam

In article <2013010410552841594-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> Yeah, I'm going to use Photoshop on an iPad. Why not on a mobile
> >> phone?

> > not only is there photoshop for ipad but there are hundreds of other
> > image editing apps, many of them quite good and some of them work on an
> > iphone too. certainly adjusting the common stuff such as exposure and
> > colour balance is well within the realm of a tablet and even a phone.
> >
> > an ipad is also ideal for mobile banking, email as well as continuing
> > to make a fool out of yourself on usenet.

> While I have Photoshop Touch installed on my iPad, and it is quite
> capable, uses layers, and is probably the best of the iOS/Android photo
> editors, it is not quite at the same level as CS5/6, but far superior
> to work with than PSE. It is fun to noodle about with and would be
> acceptable in a pinch.

not just in a pinch, but much of the time. very few people need the
full capabilities of cs6 on a day to day basis (or ever for that
matter).

for the usual tweaks done to images, any of a number of image editing
apps on an ipad will be perfectly adequate. nobody expects photoshop
touch, an app that's been out for less than a year, to be on the level
of cs6 anyway.

Tony Cooper

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:48:43 -0500, "Mayayana"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>| > I'm surprised by how many people really don't need any
>| > backup. They use webmail, print out their docs, and never
>| > regarded their PC as dependable in the first place. It
>| > often happens that I try to help someone salvage their
>| > crashed PC and it turns out that they only care about
>| > getting it working: "There was nothing important on there."
>|
>| that's the exception and you know it.
>|

> Again, I'm talking about my experience and not your
>fantasy of my experience.

nospam is incapable of thinking that other people don't do, or need to
do, or want to do, what he thinks should be done. He'd like to be the
tin pot dictator of the group, but comes across more as the guy
wearing the tin foil hat.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL