Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Infant newbie question ......

Infant newbie question ......

Steve B

What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?

Steve

Steve B

> On 2012-12-30 09:03:19 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2012-12-30 08:55:23 -0800, "Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> alt.binaries.photos.original

> There is also nothing wrong with using one of the image sharing sites, or
> "cloud" storage sites, such as Dropbox, Google drive, or PogoPlug, to post
> examples of your work to the non-binary sites.
>
> Something like this.
> < http://db.tt/6SuM0WTp >
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Apologies, guys. My computer has a glitch, and it is time to take it to the
shop. Things are hanging in the outbox, and this is a duplicate of a
similar post that I sent yesterday, and did not see posted. I checked a
little, and it looks like the aioe.org I currently have does not have much
in binaries. We recently moved to rural ranch land, and there is a limited
amount of anything available here. So, I'll need to check with my computer
guy and have him set it to what's available here, as well as look at a
couple of other issues I've been having with it.

Didn't mean to post duplicates.

Sorry.

Steve

Steve B

> On 2012-12-30 09:03:19 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
> said:
>
>> On 2012-12-30 08:55:23 -0800, "Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>>
>>> What photography NG is it where binaries are posted?
>>>
>>> Steve

>> alt.binaries.photos.original

> There is also nothing wrong with using one of the image sharing sites, or
> "cloud" storage sites, such as Dropbox, Google drive, or PogoPlug, to post
> examples of your work to the non-binary sites.
>
> Something like this.
> < http://db.tt/6SuM0WTp >
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.

Steve

Kwincay Ercolinowitz

On 30-Dec-12 19:53, Savage**** wrote:

>> Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
>> Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.
>>
>> Steve

> If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
> Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
> had my father flying escort for him.

Your father spent most of his time sucking off pilots and massaging Jap
balls whilst letting the gooks cornhole him.

Mayayana

| > Awesome picture. My dad was a flight engineer on a B-24M in the Pacific
| > Theater. He got four bronze stars. Never ever spoke a word about it.
|
| If your dad flew in that B24 in the SW Pacific, New Guinea, Rabaul,
| Bismark Archipelago, Borneo, Philippines, 1943-44, he might well have
| had my father flying escort for him.

Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
He never used to talk about it (and we never
cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
his memory. I think for many in that generation
WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

Steve B

"Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
> He never used to talk about it (and we never
> cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
> As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
> his memory. I think for many in that generation
> WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

I did not have to go to Viet Nam because of a heart condition. Most of the
guys I talked to said the thing that was in the forefront of their mind was
staying alive for XXX more days until their departure date, and never
knowing if the guy who was going to get you was going to be in uniform, or
some twelve year old that just got walked away from a bike bomb with a
timer.

I have PTSD from various career work situations. Being in a situation where
you can die at any moment, and being there for months at a time is an
attitude adjustment that may or may not go away.

Thanks to your dad for his service to our country.

Steve

Mayayana

| Here is my father's squadron, the 9th Fighter Sq. 49th Fighter Group,
| in New Guinea in 1944. He is 5th from the left.
| < http://db.tt/1i11XB3H >

That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.

I guess we know we're getting old when we
start waxing sentimental about WWII.

| ...and Dad in his P-38L, also somewhere in New Guinea in 1944.
| < http://db.tt/TIkmcOpu >
|
| He is 89, 90 in July, and in good health.
| < http://db.tt/sOCXRlPs >
|

| --
| Regards,
|
| Savageduck

Robert Coe

:
: That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.
:
: I guess we know we're getting old when we
: start waxing sentimental about WWII.

You've got that right. WW II is very sentimental to me. I was four years old
when the Pearl Harbor attack occurred and eight when the war ended. Those
pictures the Savage Duck posted the other day were taken on my brother's fifth
birthday. I remember the day the war ended as vividly as if it were last week.

I was too young (obviously) to fight in the war, and my father too old. But
many of my schoolmates' fathers fought in it, and at least one was killed.
When I was in high school, several kids who were slightly older tried to pick
up a few extra $$ by joining the Naval Reserve. Imagine their surprise when
the U.S. decided to bail out the Korean dictatorship, and they found
themselves on active duty. Later when we stupidly intervened in Viet Nam, it
pleased the Government to decide that my "critical skills" made it
inappropriate for me to be part of it. (I knew how to program a computer, a
relative rarity at the time.) But Martha's brother had a ROTC commission from
college, so we sweated every day of his year in combat there.

In the years since, we've fought more unnecessary wars, large and small, than
I can remember. We are, quite simply, the most bellicose nation on earth. My
fondest hope is that my grandchildren won't get sucked in, but common sense
tells me that it's probably a forlorn wish. My only consolation is that, given
my age and theirs, I probably won't be around to see it.

All that aside, the worst thing about getting old is how fast time appears to
pass. (I guess it's because each successive day is a smaller percentage of the
time we've been alive.) There was a time when my artistic idol would have been
Ansel Adams or Alfred Eisenstaedt or Henri Cartier-Bresson. Now it's Anna
Robertson Moses. :^|

Bob

Robert Coe

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:06:13 -0600, George Kerby <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
:
: On 12/31/12 9:40 AM, in article kbsbk5$t2k$(E-Mail Removed), "Mayayana"
: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: > | Here is my father's squadron, the 9th Fighter Sq. 49th Fighter Group,
: > | in New Guinea in 1944. He is 5th from the left.
: > | < http://db.tt/1i11XB3H >
: >
: > That's a nice picture. Very atmospheric.
: >
: > I guess we know we're getting old when we
: > start waxing sentimental about WWII.
: >
:
: The numbers of the participants in WWII are rapidly shrinking as the months
: and years pass by. TRULY the "Greatest Generation"!
:
: Duck, tell your Dad "thanks" for his service to the Country. I bet you are a
: proud "young" son!
:
: Happy New Year to one and all (with the possible exception of "Tonto" the
: bugman - if he still is trolling in here)!!!

You too, George, and to everyone else in the group!!

I've wondered whether the recently arrived Kwin, the sexually preoccupied
racist, might be the second coming of Tonto. If so, I guess he'll be back on
his meds (or back in the hatch) soon enough.

Bob

nick c

On 12/30/2012 10:28 PM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> "Steve B" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> "Mayayana" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>

>>> Interesting. My father was a test pilot on Guam.
>>> He never used to talk about it (and we never
>>> cared to ask him but he talks about it now.
>>> As he approaches the end, that time stands out in
>>> his memory. I think for many in that generation
>>> WW2 was the most alive they ever felt.

>> I did not have to go to Viet Nam because of a heart condition. Most of the
>> guys I talked to said the thing that was in the forefront of their mind was
>> staying alive for XXX more days until their departure date, and never
>> knowing if the guy who was going to get you was going to be in uniform, or
>> some twelve year old that just got walked away from a bike bomb with a
>> timer.

> And in WWII, they didn't have "tours" of specific duration, so there
> wasn't that clear date to look forward to, even.

Since no one knew how long the war would last, those who entered the
service signed up for the duration. The duration was whatever congress
said it was to be and (I think) in 47 (circa November) congress finally
declared the end to the war's duration. The war ended in 45 yet
occasional scattered fighting continued throughout many of the Pacific
islands, diminishing until sometime in early 47. For example, in 46,
Japanese troops would often infiltrate the perimeter of Clark Field (on
the island of Luzon) and machine-gun American fighter aircraft as they
were landing, then they would quickly retreat. Japanese troops were told
Japan would never surrender and that US troop announcements about Japans
surrender were just propaganda ploys and were to be disregarded.

The POW camp where we housed captured Japanese troops before shipping
them home to Japan was about 4 or 5 miles southeast of Manila. Across
the road from the Japanese POW camp was the American stockade. There was
another much smaller stockade nearby where we placed soldiers who went
AWOL or were convicted of other minor military regulation infringements.
As usual, that stockade was generally run by a Master Sergent named
Tiny, who was in reality an Ape in uniform and liked to have ****call's
about 2am and then have prison barracks floors (around a prisoner's cot)
scrubbed with old worn-out toothbrushes.

In today's Army, mother wouldn't like that.