Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anyone with Lightroom 3 experience?

Anyone with Lightroom 3 experience?

nospam

In article <kbosi2$hmf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have never been attracted to Lightroom tried it when there was free
> pre release editions on the Adobe site. But others swear by it.

seriously? free pre-release? that was over 7 years ago.

nevertheless, even then it was quite good. it's just that much better
now.

Tony Cooper

On Sun, 30 Dec 2012 00:06:40 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>> A date sequence file name (2012-12-28-001) and keywording works for
>> me, but may not work for him. The Duck's system sounds excessively
>> complicated to me, but it works for him. Where he uses folders I use
>> keywords within keywords.

>Not complicated at all. When I import to LR, it creates a date labeled
>folder with all the imports for a particular shoot. I then rename that
>folder leaving the date intact, but adding an additional identifier. So
>I might have two folders with the same date with different location
>information. For example "2012-12-01 Pismo" & "2012-12-01 Morro Bay".
>Then I get specific with keywords and sets of keywords.

I handle it by naming all photos by date and then keywording the trip
itself with a name and then a keyword within that one attached to the
Morro Bay photos and another keyword for the Pismo photos if I want to
be able to bring up only those photos for Morro Bay or Pismo.

I don't see an advantage to either system. Yours just seemed more
complicated when I read the post.

The point is that either of us can quickly find a particular set of
photos if we follow the system we've set up.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Rob

On 30/12/2012 7:20 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-12-30 00:04:15 -0800, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>>> ...or you could learn a little from somebody who knows how to wring the
>>> most out of LR.
>>> < http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html >
>>>

>> I have never been attracted to Lightroom tried it when there was free
>> pre release editions on the Adobe site. But others swear by it.

> LR4 is a very different beast to the LR-beta.
> It is well worth exploring for reasons beyond its cataloging strengths.
>
> ...and there is a trial version of LR4.

Had a scratch around and found a PDF and eBook on the web.

Photoshop CS6 and Lightroom 4 by Stephen Laskevitch

Reading some of the contents has given me some understanding. Bit of an
eye opener you could say.

5. Organizing & Archiving Images
> Rating systems and methods
> keywords & other Metadate
> labels: Workflow Landmarks
> File Management

So now if I can get my head around that, my images may get into some
sort of organised chaos.

Peter Jason

On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
>> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
>> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
>> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
>> straightforward for this?

>yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
>seamlessly with photoshop.

Thanks for all replies. I'll start on this.

Bror Johansson

Peter Jason skrev 2012-12-29 23:59:
> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
> straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
> old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
> is the sort of thing I need.
> Peter

"The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter
Krogh is a book very well worth reading. It covers most everything with
respect to workflows, methods and tools for managing digital photos. One
of the tools covered is Adobe Lightroom.

Peter Jason

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:18:57 +0100, Bror Johansson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter Jason skrev 2012-12-29 23:59:
>> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
>> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
>> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
>> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
>> straightforward for this? I was impressed by the
>> old MS "Digital Image Suite 9" in its day and this
>> is the sort of thing I need.
>> Peter
>>

>"The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" by Peter
>Krogh is a book very well worth reading. It covers most everything with
>respect to workflows, methods and tools for managing digital photos. One
>of the tools covered is Adobe Lightroom.

Thanks, I'm downloading a copy now.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Jason
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I want to get thousands of images in some sort of
>> order via an easy-to-use database. I already
>> have photoshop, so it's the database I really
>> need. Is Lightroom the best and most
>> straightforward for this?

>yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
>seamlessly with photoshop.

Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
painter" which works great, but I can't find the
boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
"andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
after keywording, like when seeking an individual
when associated with another in a certain decade
etc. I need something like the Google
search-entry fields.

Tony Cooper

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-12-31 20:14:38 -0800, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
>>> seamlessly with photoshop.

>> Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
>> and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
>> painter" which works great, but I can't find the
>> boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
>> "andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
>> after keywording, like when seeking an individual
>> when associated with another in a certain decade
>> etc. I need something like the Google
>> search-entry fields.

>OK!
>In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
>Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_102.jpg >
>
>Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_105.jpg >
>
>Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
>search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
>example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_104.jpg >
>
>I hope that helps some.

A couple of points, Duck...you've written back-slash but used
forward-slash. I don't know if that makes a difference or not on a
Mac.

However, a slash going either direction doesn't work. What does work
is a space between the words. (Maybe Macs are special. I use
Windows)

What does work for me using your example is:

Thanksgiving 2011 Aunt Martha's (or just "Aunt" unless there's more
than one Aunt in which case you could just use "Martha's".

Here's the Help page for this. The space rule, not a slash, is under
"Contains All".

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroo...8D3D49CC3.html

What is also helpful if you keyword within keywords is excluding a
sub-keyword's images.

For example, if you have the keyword of 2011 and Thanksgiving, Easter,
and Christmas as keywords within the keyword 2011, then

Opening 2011 brings up all images keyworded 2011, but searching for
2011 !Easter brings up all 2011 images except the Easter images.
Putting ! before a word excludes it.

I use this because of my particular breakdown of "street" shots.

--
Tony Cooper, Orlando FL

Peter Jason

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-12-31 20:14:38 -0800, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 23:30:58 -0500, nospam
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> yes. lightroom will definitely do what you need, and it works
>>> seamlessly with photoshop.

>> Lightroom is looking good. I have downloaded it
>> and keyworded many photos with the "keyword
>> painter" which works great, but I can't find the
>> boolean thing that allows selection "and", "or",
>> "andnot" etc. to allow more detailed selection
>> after keywording, like when seeking an individual
>> when associated with another in a certain decade
>> etc. I need something like the Google
>> search-entry fields.

>OK!
>In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
>Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_102.jpg >
>
>Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_105.jpg >
>
>Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
>search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
>example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
>< https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_104.jpg >
>
>I hope that helps some.

I have a PC, and I found a way.

In the library mode at the top there are four
selections: Text/Attribute/Metadata/None.

Then press "Metadata".

A Keyword column appears and this can be
duplicated by clicking on the serrations to
produce an adjacent identical column, and so on
for several columns.

Ctrl clicking one or more keywords in the first
column gives the Boolean "OR".

Ctrl clicking one or more keywords one in each of
the several identical columns gives the Boolean
"AND".

Or so it seems so far...

I'll check out your way now.

Peter Jason

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 16:11:16 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2013-01-01 15:46:18 -0800, Peter Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:18:37 -0800, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> OK!
>>> In Lightroom, go to the menu; Library-->Find (command-F on Mac or
>>> Control-F Windows) This will Open a text search/find line.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_102.jpg >
>>>
>>> Go to the first drop down menu on that line and select "keywords":
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_105.jpg >
>>>
>>> Then go to the next drop down, and select the control criteria for your
>>> search and enter keyword or keywords separated by back-slashes. For
>>> example: family/Thanksgiving_2011/Aunt Martha's.
>>> < https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/Fil...enshot_104.jpg >
>>>
>>> I hope that helps some.

>> I have a PC, and I found a way.
>>
>> In the library mode at the top there are four
>> selections: Text/Attribute/Metadata/None.
>>
>> Then press "Metadata".
>>
>> A Keyword column appears and this can be
>> duplicated by clicking on the serrations to
>> produce an adjacent identical column, and so on
>> for several columns.
>>
>> Ctrl clicking one or more keywords in the first
>> column gives the Boolean "OR".
>>
>> Ctrl clicking one or more keywords one in each of
>> the several identical columns gives the Boolean
>> "AND".
>>
>> Or so it seems so far...
>>
>> I'll check out your way now.

>Yup! All legitimate methods to the same end in Lightroom.

Regarding the keywords, is it advisable to have
one for "unknown" for anonymous photos?