Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > laptops ... HP vs Samsung? And would you spend 250 extra and get it from Ascent over a boxing day special?

laptops ... HP vs Samsung? And would you spend 250 extra and get it from Ascent over a boxing day special?

Frank Williams

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 01:19:04 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <ke4cjt$6rh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz says...
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>
>> >If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
>> >Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
>> >Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
>> >breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
>> >Any thoughts?

>> Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free.
>>
>> Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
>> of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
>> Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
>> responsibilities.
>> Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
>> them.
>>
>> HTH.

>As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
>they had the best price of the lot.
>The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
>spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
>for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
>was pleasantly surprised.
>
>Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
>already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
>them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...
>
>-P.

Yes but Stationery Warehouse, is the same shop..?

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <ke4cjt$6rh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) nz says...
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>
>> >If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
>> >Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
>> >Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
>> >breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
>> >Any thoughts?

>> Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free.
>>
>> Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
>> of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
>> Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
>> responsibilities.
>> Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
>> them.
>>
>> HTH.

>As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
>they had the best price of the lot.
>The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
>spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
>for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
>was pleasantly surprised.
>
>Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
>already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
>them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...

The shed wanted their brands IIRC. The aquisition can only be good for NZ
consumers.

Gib Bogle

On 29/01/2013 1:19 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <ke4cjt$6rh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> (snip)
>>
>>> If I get it today from the Lemmings, I can save 250 bucks on the
>>> Samsung. Just not sure if I should buy from the box store or go with
>>> Ascent ... I've no idea how good Leeming would be at support if anything
>>> breaks (i.e. replacing it, and how fast they'd be).
>>> Any thoughts?

>> Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free.
>>
>> Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
>> of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
>> Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
>> responsibilities.
>> Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
>> them.
>>
>> HTH.

> As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
> they had the best price of the lot.
> The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
> spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
> for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
> was pleasantly surprised.
>
> Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
> already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
> them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...
>
> -P.

I bought an HP laptop from the Warehouse Stationary recently, at a big
discount. No complaints so far.

William Brown

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 13:12:56 +1300, Gib Bogle <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On 29/01/2013 1:19 a.m., Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article <ke4cjt$6rh$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> (snip)

>>> Don't buy anything from the bonds/lemmings. Ever. Even if it's free.
>>>
>>> Personal experience says they are crooks and shysters, with no understanding
>>> of customer service or their obligations when things go wrong.
>>> Alternatively, they understand very well and actively avoid their
>>> responsibilities.
>>> Anywhere else *must* be better ... at least until the warehouse absorbs
>>> them.
>>>
>>> HTH.

>> As it happens I ended up buying a Samsung one from Stationery Warehouse,
>> they had the best price of the lot.
>> The first one I got had a busted key in the numpad (was sometimes
>> spamming 7s, other times the key would not respond) and they changed it
>> for another one without giving me any grief. Very friendly service, I
>> was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>> Lemmings, I believe, has recently been swallowed by the Red Sheds
>> already! Heh. And yes, I was very hesitant about buying a computer from
>> them. A kettle or a vacuum cleaner, maybe ...
>>
>> -P.
>>

>I bought an HP laptop from the Warehouse Stationary recently, at a big
>discount. No complaints so far.

You could not even give me a HP there support in Nil and they are
highest failing Laptop out.

Gib Bogle

On 29/01/2013 2:15 p.m., William Brown wrote:

>> I bought an HP laptop from the Warehouse Stationary recently, at a big
>> discount. No complaints so far.

> You could not even give me a HP there support in Nil and they are
> highest failing Laptop out.

It would not occur to me to give you an HP, or anything else for that
matter.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <ke7b9i$5ru$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>On 29/01/2013 2:15 p.m., William Brown wrote:
>>> I bought an HP laptop from the Warehouse Stationary recently, at a big
>>> discount. No complaints so far.

>> You could not even give me a HP there support in Nil and they are
>> highest failing Laptop out.

>It would not occur to me to give you an HP, or anything else for that
>matter.

To be fair, HP reliability (to return to the sort of point ) is not an
easy question. Apparently there are some laptop models known to be truly
awful in this area (expected lifetime of months), while other models are
energiser bunny-like and just keep on going.

EMB

On 29/01/2013 6:09 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>>> You could not even give me a HP there support in Nil and they are
>>> highest failing Laptop out.

>> It would not occur to me to give you an HP, or anything else for that
>> matter.

> To be fair, HP reliability (to return to the sort of point ) is not an
> easy question. Apparently there are some laptop models known to be truly
> awful in this area (expected lifetime of months), while other models are
> energiser bunny-like and just keep on going.

The 1000 or so HP laptops (and 2000 HP desktops) in our fleet are just
fine thanks. The laptop failure rate is so low as to be effectively
zero, and the only failure in the desktops we have seen more than one of
is hard drives (and that's Seagate's problem so is really hardware brand
agnostic).

A similar number of Lenovo machines have a higher failure rate, but
still so low as to not be an issue.

We're currently buying Dell (cheap, cheap, cheap) and other than a
handful of DOA desktops have seen no failures over 18 months during
which we have deployed 600 or so laptops and about 1500 desktops.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
> On 29/01/2013 6:09 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <ke7b9i$5ru$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> It would not occur to me to give you an HP, or anything else for
>>> that matter.

>> To be fair, HP reliability (to return to the sort of point ) is
>> not an easy question. Apparently there are some laptop models known to be
>> truly awful in this area (expected lifetime of months), while other
>> models
>> are energiser bunny-like and just keep on going.

> The 1000 or so HP laptops (and 2000 HP desktops) in our fleet are just
> fine thanks. The laptop failure rate is so low as to be effectively
> zero, and the only failure in the desktops we have seen more than one
> of is hard drives (and that's Seagate's problem so is really hardware
> brand agnostic).
>
> A similar number of Lenovo machines have a higher failure rate, but
> still so low as to not be an issue.
>
> We're currently buying Dell (cheap, cheap, cheap) and other than a
> handful of DOA desktops have seen no failures over 18 months during
> which we have deployed 600 or so laptops and about 1500 desktops.

.... which reinforces my belief that, if you want a reliable computer from
one of the big companies you need to buy from their corporate range.

Cheers,
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Bruce Sinclair

In article <kekqen$lkb$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
>> On 29/01/2013 6:09 p.m., Bruce Sinclair wrote:

>>> To be fair, HP reliability (to return to the sort of point ) is
>>> not an easy question. Apparently there are some laptop models known to be
>>> truly awful in this area (expected lifetime of months), while other
>>> models
>>> are energiser bunny-like and just keep on going.

>> The 1000 or so HP laptops (and 2000 HP desktops) in our fleet are just
>> fine thanks. The laptop failure rate is so low as to be effectively
>> zero, and the only failure in the desktops we have seen more than one
>> of is hard drives (and that's Seagate's problem so is really hardware
>> brand agnostic).
>>
>> A similar number of Lenovo machines have a higher failure rate, but
>> still so low as to not be an issue.
>>
>> We're currently buying Dell (cheap, cheap, cheap) and other than a
>> handful of DOA desktops have seen no failures over 18 months during
>> which we have deployed 600 or so laptops and about 1500 desktops.

>.... which reinforces my belief that, if you want a reliable computer from
>one of the big companies you need to buy from their corporate range.

Exactly so.
IIRC, the price difference between the "cheap" (fail in months) models and
the "enterprise" (reliable) models was less than 10 %. Remember that this
was a few years ago now (maybe 5 ?).
What amazed me was that HP continued to sell the proven awful ones to the
unsuspecting.

<sigh>