Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Problem with a Garmin Direction Finder

Problem with a Garmin Direction Finder

JD

Hello Experts,

I have spent most of an hour trying to work a local area code into an
address. The product is a Garmin Nüvi, 1300 Series. The area code is
BT5-6LW and, every time I finish it, it drops the LW.

Is anyone here an expert in Garmin leaks?

TIA and Happy Holidays

Jeff Strickland

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Experts,
>
> I have spent most of an hour trying to work a local area code into an
> address. The product is a Garmin Nüvi, 1300 Series. The area code is
> BT5-6LW and, every time I finish it, it drops the LW.
>
> Is anyone here an expert in Garmin leaks?
>
> TIA and Happy Holidays

Your area code does not conform to what is used in the States, but you
should not need it if you know the city.

The States use 5 numerals, 90210 for example, so if your unit is dropping
after the 5th digit then you might have trouble with it. What happens if you
just put in the city name, then the street address?

Loony

On 26/12/2012 19:01, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> I have spent most of an hour trying to work a local area code into an
>> address. The product is a Garmin Nüvi, 1300 Series. The area code is
>> BT5-6LW and, every time I finish it, it drops the LW.
>>
>> Is anyone here an expert in Garmin leaks?
>>
>> TIA and Happy Holidays

> Your area code does not conform to what is used in the States, but you
> should not need it if you know the city.
>
> The States use 5 numerals, 90210 for example, so if your unit is
> dropping after the 5th digit then you might have trouble with it. What
> happens if you just put in the city name, then the street address?

Oppss! Apologies Jeff for being late.

I bought the Garmin in USA a few years back and my code was 95401. Now
I'm stuck here in UK and my code is BT5-6LW and it gets stuck after the
BT5. I'm still searching for an escape.

Loony

On 03/01/2013 21:11, Loony wrote:
> On 26/12/2012 19:01, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hello Experts,
>>>
>>> I have spent most of an hour trying to work a local area code into an
>>> address. The product is a Garmin Nüvi, 1300 Series. The area code is
>>> BT5-6LW and, every time I finish it, it drops the LW.
>>>
>>> Is anyone here an expert in Garmin leaks?
>>>
>>> TIA and Happy Holidays

>> Your area code does not conform to what is used in the States, but you
>> should not need it if you know the city.
>>
>> The States use 5 numerals, 90210 for example, so if your unit is
>> dropping after the 5th digit then you might have trouble with it. What
>> happens if you just put in the city name, then the street address?

> Oppss! Apologies Jeff for being late.
>
> I bought the Garmin in USA a few years back and my code was 95401. Now
> I'm stuck here in UK and my code is BT5-6LW and it gets stuck after the
> BT5. I'm still searching for an escape.

I forgot to mention that the city name is Belfast. The street address is
66 Balmoral and the code is BT12-6QL. The address was ok but the code
did not work. The problem could be my ignorance so I'll keep trying.

Jeff Strickland

"Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 03/01/2013 21:11, Loony wrote:
>> On 26/12/2012 19:01, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>>
>>> "JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Your area code does not conform to what is used in the States, but you
>>> should not need it if you know the city.
>>>
>>> The States use 5 numerals, 90210 for example, so if your unit is
>>> dropping after the 5th digit then you might have trouble with it. What
>>> happens if you just put in the city name, then the street address?

>> Oppss! Apologies Jeff for being late.
>>
>> I bought the Garmin in USA a few years back and my code was 95401. Now
>> I'm stuck here in UK and my code is BT5-6LW and it gets stuck after the
>> BT5. I'm still searching for an escape.

> I forgot to mention that the city name is Belfast. The street address is
> 66 Balmoral and the code is BT12-6QL. The address was ok but the code did
> not work. The problem could be my ignorance so I'll keep trying.

I am not certain, but I do not think your USA (North America) GPS will work
in Europe. I believe you need a different unit, or you need to at least
download something for the other part of the world where you are now.

Me thinks you can find the answer at garmin.com.

Loony

On 04/01/2013 01:54, Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Oppss! Apologies Jeff for being late.
>>>
>>> I bought the Garmin in USA a few years back and my code was 95401. Now
>>> I'm stuck here in UK and my code is BT5-6LW and it gets stuck after the
>>> BT5. I'm still searching for an escape.

>> I forgot to mention that the city name is Belfast. The street address
>> is 66 Balmoral and the code is BT12-6QL. The address was ok but the
>> code did not work. The problem could be my ignorance so I'll keep trying.
>>

> I am not certain, but I do not think your USA (North America) GPS will
> work in Europe. I believe you need a different unit, or you need to at
> least download something for the other part of the world where you are now.
>
> Me thinks you can find the answer at garmin.com.

Just had an answer Jeff :

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am happy to help with your enquiry. Looking into this for you,
normally if you have North American maps loaded to the device, you would
need to first change the country within the address feature and you will
then be able to search for addresses fine. Now looking at the serial
number of the device, I cannot see any North American maps pre loaded to
the device which would most likely be the reason why you are not able to
find this information. To confirm this, I would like to check the map
section on your device. Please find below a step by step guide on doing
this.

1. Turn the unit on without it being plugged into any power cables.
2. Once loaded if you could then click on the spanner icon, followed by
the settings icon.
3. When the next page loads, you will then need to scroll down the page
and click on the map icon.
4. You will then need to click on map info located at the bottom of the
screen. In here is where all the maps are currently stored on the unit.
If you could let me know what is written in here and also if there is or
is not a tick in the box next to the writing.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
Alternatively you can search for a solution here:
http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

=======================

Now, how about that???

Loony

On 06/01/2013 10:10, Loony wrote:
> On 04/01/2013 01:54, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>
>> "Loony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I forgot to mention that the city name is Belfast. The street address
>>> is 66 Balmoral and the code is BT12-6QL. The address was ok but the
>>> code did not work. The problem could be my ignorance so I'll keep
>>> trying.
>>>

>> I am not certain, but I do not think your USA (North America) GPS will
>> work in Europe. I believe you need a different unit, or you need to at
>> least download something for the other part of the world where you are
>> now.
>>
>> Me thinks you can find the answer at garmin.com.
>>

> Just had an answer Jeff :
>
> Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.
>
> I am happy to help with your enquiry. Looking into this for you,
> normally if you have North American maps loaded to the device, you would
> need to first change the country within the address feature and you will
> then be able to search for addresses fine. Now looking at the serial
> number of the device, I cannot see any North American maps pre loaded to
> the device which would most likely be the reason why you are not able to
> find this information. To confirm this, I would like to check the map
> section on your device. Please find below a step by step guide on doing
> this.
>
> 1. Turn the unit on without it being plugged into any power cables.
> 2. Once loaded if you could then click on the spanner icon, followed by
> the settings icon.
> 3. When the next page loads, you will then need to scroll down the page
> and click on the map icon.
> 4. You will then need to click on map info located at the bottom of the
> screen. In here is where all the maps are currently stored on the unit.
> If you could let me know what is written in here and also if there is or
> is not a tick in the box next to the writing.
>

> If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know.
> Alternatively you can search for a solution here:
> http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

> Now, how about that???

It was not easy. The routes were not well described nor chosen.

Help Nikon D200 and Garmin 76C SeaDragon Digital Photography 28 06-05-2009 04:50 AM
Re: Help Nikon D200 and Garmin 76C Patrick Digital Photography 22 03-10-2008 12:28 AM
Garmin Nuvi 360 Alasdair Computer Support 1 07-03-2006 08:57 AM
Garmin i3 maps Cub Computer Support 0 01-04-2006 07:46 PM
garmin maps used for magellan devices? psion Computer Support 0 10-14-2004 06:10 PM

Advertisments