Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can't edit dynamically created textbox

Can't edit dynamically created textbox

=?Utf-8?B?bXdoYWxlbg==?=

Hi All,

I've dynmaically created a textbox, but I can't edit it. When I click on
it, the cursor flashes for a second, but then goes away and I can't enter any
text or do anything with the value in the box.

Here's the code I've used to create the control. It's within a datagrid
that is bound to a dataTable so the action happens in the ItemDataBound event.

Private Sub dgItems_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles dgItems.ItemDataBound
ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
Dim dtItems As New DataTable
dtItems = CType(Session("ItemsDT"), DataTable)

'this is what I can't edit
Dim txtQty As New TextBox
Page.Controls.Add(txtQty)
e.Item.Cells(0).Controls.Add(txtQty)
txtQty.ID = "txtQty" & e.Item.ItemIndex
txtQty.EnableViewState = True
txtQty.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(0)
txtQty.Width = WebControls.Unit.Pixel(30)

Dim lblDesc As New Label
lblDesc.EnableViewState = True
lblDesc.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(1)
e.Item.Cells(1).Controls.Add(lblDesc)

Dim lblUnitPrice As New Label
lblUnitPrice.EnableViewState = True
lblUnitPrice.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(2)
e.Item.Cells(2).Controls.Add(lblUnitPrice)

End If
End Sub

Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?bXdoYWxlbg==?=

I figured out what was causing it. In the body tag of the page it had
onblur="self.focus();".

So, now I can edit the textbox, but as per my directive from above, the page
is a popup window and needs to stay on top and that's the code that was doing
that.

Can anyone think of any alternative ways of making that happen?

"mwhalen" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've dynmaically created a textbox, but I can't edit it. When I click on
> it, the cursor flashes for a second, but then goes away and I can't enter any
> text or do anything with the value in the box.
>
> Here's the code I've used to create the control. It's within a datagrid
> that is bound to a dataTable so the action happens in the ItemDataBound event.
>
> Private Sub dgItems_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
> System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItemEventArgs) Handles dgItems.ItemDataBound
> If e.Item.ItemType = ListItemType.Item Or e.Item.ItemType =
> ListItemType.AlternatingItem Then
> Dim dtItems As New DataTable
> dtItems = CType(Session("ItemsDT"), DataTable)
>
> 'this is what I can't edit
> Dim txtQty As New TextBox
> Page.Controls.Add(txtQty)
> e.Item.Cells(0).Controls.Add(txtQty)
> txtQty.ID = "txtQty" & e.Item.ItemIndex
> txtQty.EnableViewState = True
> txtQty.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(0)
> txtQty.Width = WebControls.Unit.Pixel(30)
>
> Dim lblDesc As New Label
> lblDesc.EnableViewState = True
> lblDesc.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(1)
> e.Item.Cells(1).Controls.Add(lblDesc)
>
> Dim lblUnitPrice As New Label
> lblUnitPrice.EnableViewState = True
> lblUnitPrice.Text = dtItems.Rows(e.Item.DataSetIndex)(2)
> e.Item.Cells(2).Controls.Add(lblUnitPrice)
>
> End If
> End Sub
>
> Thanks.

MWells

I believe there is a way in javascript to open a new window as a modal
dialog, meaning that you can't push it behind the parent window or interact
with the parent window until the dialog is closed.

news(E-Mail Removed)...