Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Dotcom titan funds 'Mark Cuban Chair To Eliminate Stupid Patents'

Re: Dotcom titan funds 'Mark Cuban Chair To Eliminate Stupid Patents'

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Specially for Wolfgang

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...form_donation/

Happily some forces are there that try to limit the damage
done by overbroad intellectual property.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:10:56 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Specially for Wolfgang

>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...form_donation/

>>Happily some forces are there that try to limit the damage
>>done by overbroad intellectual property.

> " .... the suggestion that software patents should last for no more
> than five years, and that applicants must provide a running piece
> of code to receive a patent for it, and that a commission should
> investigate whether software patents have any economic benefit at
> all. ®"

> I suspect you will approve of the last part of the above.

Obviously. I don't see anyone not approve. Unless they're
fine with getting their money to the detriment of everyone
else --- which is theft from everyone else.

Oh, and I love the second part. Show that your invention works.
Clearly teach anyone who uses the patent, either now (with
licence fees) or after it's expired. That's the IDEA of a
patent over a trade secret.

-Wolfgang

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 22:45:27 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
>>Eric Stevens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 15:10:56 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg

>>> " .... the suggestion that software patents should last for no more
>>> than five years, and that applicants must provide a running piece
>>> of code to receive a patent for it, and that a commission should
>>> investigate whether software patents have any economic benefit at
>>> all. ®"

>>> I suspect you will approve of the last part of the above.

>>Obviously. I don't see anyone not approve. Unless they're
>>fine with getting their money to the detriment of everyone
>>else --- which is theft from everyone else.

>>Oh, and I love the second part. Show that your invention works.
>>Clearly teach anyone who uses the patent, either now (with
>>licence fees) or after it's expired. That's the IDEA of a
>>patent over a trade secret.

> That's what is supposed to happen.

The "supposed to happen" instead of "happening" clearly marks
the difference between an ideal and the reality.

-Wolfgang