Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java servlet on browsers: dying or kicking ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Java servlet on browsers: dying or kicking ?

 
 
Twirlip of the Mists
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:07:14 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 1/6/2013 1:21 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>> On 06/01/13 17:53, Lew wrote:
>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom" wrote
>>>>>>>> On 12/29/2012 09:43 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:

>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> It's a conclusion based on the stated evidence. Your use of imprecise
>>> language,
>>> hand-waving and misstatement of others' points does not provide
>>> evidence that
>>> you are in a position, or possess the knowledge, to discuss the problem.

>>
>> And here we are again.
>>
>> In my many years of experience working in software teams using many
>> different languages, methodologies and processes,

>
> Do you think anyone is impressed by posters that post
> anonymously and claim experience?


You mean, like you? (What's that you say? "Arne Vajhøj" is your real name?
It's just as opaque an identification token to me as if you'd called
yourself "Gurmax the Conqueror" or "User23125" -- you have exactly as much,
or as little, reputation when I first see your newsposts. So I'd have had
the same prior probability distribution regarding your techie expertise
with any name you'd used. Higher than average for the wider population,
because you a) use usenet and b) post routinely to a comp.* group. Elevated
more when I see your posts where you seem to know a fair bit about Java.
Somewhat lowered when I see you take a sometimes arrogant and overbearing
tone, which may mean you're puffing yourself up some, and lowered further
if you make a serious mistake or a particularly silly argument on a
technical matter. Quiet, non-overweening confidence without arrogance would
have the opposite effect and mistakes are made up for by accurate technical
material later (as judged either against superior knowledge, official
reference materials, or because when it's tested it works, with the latter
being the final court of appeal for either side).)

--
Hexapodia is the key insight.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Arne Vajhøj
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On 1/6/2013 9:18 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:07:14 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> On 1/6/2013 1:21 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>> On 06/01/13 17:53, Lew wrote:
>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom" wrote
>>>>>>>>> On 12/29/2012 09:43 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>>> It's a conclusion based on the stated evidence. Your use of imprecise
>>>> language,
>>>> hand-waving and misstatement of others' points does not provide
>>>> evidence that
>>>> you are in a position, or possess the knowledge, to discuss the problem.
>>>
>>> And here we are again.
>>>
>>> In my many years of experience working in software teams using many
>>> different languages, methodologies and processes,

>>
>> Do you think anyone is impressed by posters that post
>> anonymously and claim experience?

>
> You mean, like you? (What's that you say? "Arne Vajhøj" is your real name?
> It's just as opaque an identification token to me as if you'd called
> yourself "Gurmax the Conqueror" or "User23125" -- you have exactly as much,
> or as little, reputation when I first see your newsposts. So I'd have had
> the same prior probability distribution regarding your techie expertise
> with any name you'd used.


If you say so - I can not argue against you when it comes to how
you think.

But most people have better information seeking skills.

Arne



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Twirlip of the Mists
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:28:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 1/6/2013 9:18 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:07:14 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/6/2013 1:21 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>>> On 06/01/13 17:53, Lew wrote:
>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom" wrote
>>>>>>>>>> On 12/29/2012 09:43 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>>>
>>>> [snip]
>>>>
>>>>> It's a conclusion based on the stated evidence. Your use of imprecise
>>>>> language,
>>>>> hand-waving and misstatement of others' points does not provide
>>>>> evidence that
>>>>> you are in a position, or possess the knowledge, to discuss the problem.
>>>>
>>>> And here we are again.
>>>>
>>>> In my many years of experience working in software teams using many
>>>> different languages, methodologies and processes,
>>>
>>> Do you think anyone is impressed by posters that post
>>> anonymously and claim experience?

>>
>> You mean, like you? (What's that you say? "Arne Vajhøj" is your real name?
>> It's just as opaque an identification token to me as if you'd called
>> yourself "Gurmax the Conqueror" or "User23125" -- you have exactly as much,
>> or as little, reputation when I first see your newsposts. So I'd have had
>> the same prior probability distribution regarding your techie expertise
>> with any name you'd used.

>
> If you say so - I can not argue against you when it comes to how
> you think.
>
> But most people have better information seeking skills.


What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That there's a bunch of stuff out there findable with Google saying "Arne
Vajhøj is the bee's knees"? Why should I consider that especially credible?
Or presume that someone posting to some newsgroup as "Arne Vajhøj" from a
public NNTP server is the same Arne Vajhøj? First of all, it could be a
fake. I could post from there as "Albert Einstein" and not magically be an
expert on relativity physics, but hope to fool someone into thinking I was.
Secondly, maybe "Arne Vajhøj" is the "John Smith" of your country and every
third person there is named that. So there's no need to even assume bad
faith. Oh, are you still a bit sore that I insinuated that maybe you might
be someone trying to ride on someone else's reputation, before saying I
don't actually think so? Well, that ought to make up for your insinuating
that I have poor google-fu then.

--
Hexapodia is the key insight.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arne Vajhøj
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On 1/6/2013 9:58 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:28:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>
>> On 1/6/2013 9:18 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
>>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:07:14 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>>
>>>> On 1/6/2013 1:21 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>> On 06/01/13 17:53, Lew wrote:
>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>>>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom" wrote
>>>>>>>>>>> On 12/29/2012 09:43 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> [snip]
>>>>>
>>>>>> It's a conclusion based on the stated evidence. Your use of imprecise
>>>>>> language,
>>>>>> hand-waving and misstatement of others' points does not provide
>>>>>> evidence that
>>>>>> you are in a position, or possess the knowledge, to discuss the problem.
>>>>>
>>>>> And here we are again.
>>>>>
>>>>> In my many years of experience working in software teams using many
>>>>> different languages, methodologies and processes,
>>>>
>>>> Do you think anyone is impressed by posters that post
>>>> anonymously and claim experience?
>>>
>>> You mean, like you? (What's that you say? "Arne Vajhøj" is your real name?
>>> It's just as opaque an identification token to me as if you'd called
>>> yourself "Gurmax the Conqueror" or "User23125" -- you have exactly as much,
>>> or as little, reputation when I first see your newsposts. So I'd have had
>>> the same prior probability distribution regarding your techie expertise
>>> with any name you'd used.

>>
>> If you say so - I can not argue against you when it comes to how
>> you think.
>>
>> But most people have better information seeking skills.

>
> What the hell is that supposed to mean?
>
> That there's a bunch of stuff out there findable with Google saying "Arne
> Vajhøj is the bee's knees"? Why should I consider that especially credible?
> Or presume that someone posting to some newsgroup as "Arne Vajhøj" from a
> public NNTP server is the same Arne Vajhøj? First of all, it could be a
> fake. I could post from there as "Albert Einstein" and not magically be an
> expert on relativity physics, but hope to fool someone into thinking I was.
> Secondly, maybe "Arne Vajhøj" is the "John Smith" of your country and every
> third person there is named that. So there's no need to even assume bad
> faith. Oh, are you still a bit sore that I insinuated that maybe you might
> be someone trying to ride on someone else's reputation, before saying I
> don't actually think so? Well, that ought to make up for your insinuating
> that I have poor google-fu then.


I think you just proved that.

Arne


 
Reply With Quote
 
Twirlip of the Mists
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 22:04:59 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

> On 1/6/2013 9:58 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:28:23 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>
>>> On 1/6/2013 9:18 PM, Twirlip of the Mists wrote:
>>>> On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 21:07:14 -0500, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> On 1/6/2013 1:21 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>> On 06/01/13 17:53, Lew wrote:
>>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>>> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>>>>>>>>> lipska the kat wrote:
>>>>>>>>>> Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom" wrote
>>>>>>>>>>>> On 12/29/2012 09:43 PM, Arne Vajh�j wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> [snip]
>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It's a conclusion based on the stated evidence. Your use of imprecise
>>>>>>> language,
>>>>>>> hand-waving and misstatement of others' points does not provide
>>>>>>> evidence that
>>>>>>> you are in a position, or possess the knowledge, to discuss the problem.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> And here we are again.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> In my many years of experience working in software teams using many
>>>>>> different languages, methodologies and processes,
>>>>>
>>>>> Do you think anyone is impressed by posters that post
>>>>> anonymously and claim experience?
>>>>
>>>> You mean, like you? (What's that you say? "Arne Vajhøj" is your real name?
>>>> It's just as opaque an identification token to me as if you'd called
>>>> yourself "Gurmax the Conqueror" or "User23125" -- you have exactly as much,
>>>> or as little, reputation when I first see your newsposts. So I'd have had
>>>> the same prior probability distribution regarding your techie expertise
>>>> with any name you'd used.
>>>
>>> If you say so - I can not argue against you when it comes to how
>>> you think.
>>>
>>> But most people have better information seeking skills.

>>
>> What the hell is that supposed to mean?
>>
>> That there's a bunch of stuff out there findable with Google saying "Arne
>> Vajhøj is the bee's knees"? Why should I consider that especially credible?
>> Or presume that someone posting to some newsgroup as "Arne Vajhøj" from a
>> public NNTP server is the same Arne Vajhøj? First of all, it could be a
>> fake. I could post from there as "Albert Einstein" and not magically be an
>> expert on relativity physics, but hope to fool someone into thinking I was.
>> Secondly, maybe "Arne Vajhøj" is the "John Smith" of your country and every
>> third person there is named that. So there's no need to even assume bad
>> faith. Oh, are you still a bit sore that I insinuated that maybe you might
>> be someone trying to ride on someone else's reputation, before saying I
>> don't actually think so? Well, that ought to make up for your insinuating
>> that I have poor google-fu then.

>
> I think you just proved that.


OK, it's obvious you have little else to offer tonight but childish
name-calling.

TTFN.

--
Hexapodia is the key insight.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Arved Sandstrom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-07-2013
On 01/06/2013 10:03 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/6/2013 12:10 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
>> On 06/01/13 15:34, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> On 1/6/2013 5:27 AM, lipska the kat wrote:
>>>> On 05/01/13 00:22, Richard Maher wrote:
>>>>> "Arved Sandstrom"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>>> news:nUoEs.1$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> In a SOA world each service will be responsible for its
>>> own business logic.

>>
>> One definition of an SOA is that
>>
>> Services are unassociated, loosely coupled units of functionality that
>> have no calls to each other embedded in them <wikipedia>
>>
>> This being the case then it will be even more important to manage the
>> possible combinations of what will effectively be calls on your business
>> logic. You can't simply allow your various departments to publish a
>> random collection of services and let anyone combine them in any way
>> they like. As I see it a SOA while providing maximum flexibility
>> clientside will be even more dependent on some central repository of
>> rules that will need to be applied at some stage in the interaction
>> lifecycle. Allowing different interpretations of critical business
>> process will surely be an invitation to chaos and disaster.

>
> It is definitely not SOA if the service provider want to
> dictate how the service consumer uses the service.
>
> Arne
>

I know where you are coming from, Arne, but in practise there are truly
public services and there are controlled ones. As an example of the
latter, a web service exposed through an ESB (abstraction layer), with a
real service in Java, and the entire kit and kaboodle is an API for
renewing vehicle permits and related vehicle/driver information, for a
government MV registry.

This WS/service requires pre-payment, and a larger system which manages
notifications.

In practise such a service will always be called in a controlled
fashion, usually via a website, or by vetted applications.

AHS
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2nd wireless signal kicking user off network =?Utf-8?B?emFnbmV3?= Wireless Networking 3 09-18-2005 10:43 PM
kicking a list to visible into IE windandwaves HTML 3 08-05-2005 04:00 AM
Datagrids are kicking my ass!! Please help =?Utf-8?B?SSBhbSBTYW0=?= ASP .Net 2 03-14-2005 04:15 PM
Servlet question(Tomcat, web.xml, servlet-class, servlet-name) circuit_breaker Java 2 04-04-2004 03:26 AM
OnLoad kicking off process Matt Java 2 02-25-2004 04:28 PM



Advertisments