Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > server gs vs workstation gs

server gs vs workstation gs

Zeng

I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes: server
gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing the
mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's using
server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.

-zeng

Karl Seguin

Zeng:
Take a look at:
http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/arc...07/15/323.aspx

You'll see some information about how to figure out which your web server is
currently using as well as some info about how to swtich it.

Hope this helps
Karl
--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:

server
> gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing the
> mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's using
> server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.
>
> -zeng

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Zeng,
In addition to the other comments.

The following site provides some further info on the Server GC verses the
Workstation GC.

http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...10/228104.aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...08/226981.aspx

Hope this helps
Jay

"Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:
> server
> gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing the
> mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's using
> server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.
>
> -zeng

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

The two mode of GC are 'Concurrent' and 'Preemptive' (also called serial).
There are two run-time versions "server" and "workstation".
The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses the
"preemptive GC" mode.
The workstation version of the runtime is loaded per default on both single
and multi-proc. machines, the default GC mode being 'preemptive'.
To enable 'Concurent GC' on multi-proc machines for the workstation version,
you need to add:

<RUNTIME>
<GCCONCURRENT enabled="true" />
</RUNTIME>

To your config file.

Willy.

"Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:
> server
> gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing the
> mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's using
> server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.
>
> -zeng

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Willy,
> The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses the
> "preemptive GC" mode.

The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config

<configuration>
<runtime>
<gcServer enabled="true" />
</runtime>
</configuration>

http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...08/226981.aspx

Hope this helps
Jay

"Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The two mode of GC are 'Concurrent' and 'Preemptive' (also called serial).
> There are two run-time versions "server" and "workstation".
> The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses the
> "preemptive GC" mode.
> The workstation version of the runtime is loaded per default on both
> single and multi-proc. machines, the default GC mode being 'preemptive'.
> To enable 'Concurent GC' on multi-proc machines for the workstation
> version, you need to add:
>
> <RUNTIME>
> <GCCONCURRENT enabled="true" />
> </RUNTIME>
>
> To your config file.
>
> Willy.
>
> "Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:
>> server
>> gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing
>> the
>> mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's
>> using
>> server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.
>>
>> -zeng

Willy Denoyette [MVP]

"Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Willy,
>> The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses
>> the "preemptive GC" mode.

> The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config
>
> <configuration>
> <runtime>
> <gcServer enabled="true" />
> </runtime>
> </configuration>
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...08/226981.aspx
>
> Hope this helps
> Jay

Absolutely right Jay, I always forget about v1.1 SP1, I wonder why!

Willy.

Zeng

I added this node parallel to <system.web> node in my web.config of the
application and it gave me error (parsing error), both <system.web> and
<runtime> are under <configuration> node. What am I missing? Thanks!

<RUNTIME>
<GCSERVER enabled="true" />
</RUNTIME>

"Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Willy,
> >> The server version can only be loaded when hosted (v1.x) and only uses
> >> the "preemptive GC" mode.

> > The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config
> >
> > <configuration>
> > <runtime>
> > <gcServer enabled="true" />
> > </runtime>
> > </configuration>
> >
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...08/226981.aspx
> >
> > Hope this helps
> > Jay
> >

> Absolutely right Jay, I always forget about v1.1 SP1, I wonder why!
>
> Willy.

Zeng

I'm running window 2000 server, I don't have the command tasklist that was
mentioned in the article, is there anything else I can do to get find out
which .dll an executable is loading? Thanks!

> Zeng:
> Take a look at:
> http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/arc...07/15/323.aspx
>
> You'll see some information about how to figure out which your web server

is
> currently using as well as some info about how to swtich it.
>
> Hope this helps
> Karl
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > I just realized that there are 2 modes for garbage collection modes:

> server
> > gs and workstation gs. Would someone know how I can go about changing

the
> > mode for my web application written in C#? I want to make sure it's

using
> > server gs mode. Thank you for any comment or advice.
> >
> > -zeng

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

Zeng,
Be certain to get the case correct.

Also be certain to read:

http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...10/228104.aspx

Specifically the second paragraph:

<quote>
If the server OS is running on a single-proc machine then the runtime will
have to load the Workstation GC, since Server GC doesn't work on a single
proc, so we're down to just the multi-proc issue.
</quote>

Further I don't believe the setting is needed under ASP.NET, as ASP.NET is a
hosted environment that already automatically loads the server GC if
allowed.

Chris Lyon's Weblog (http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/) has a number of useful
entries on the GC:

http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/category/7091.aspx

Hope this helps
Jay

"Zeng" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I added this node parallel to <system.web> node in my web.config of the
> application and it gave me error (parsing error), both <system.web> and
> <runtime> are under <configuration> node. What am I missing? Thanks!
>
> <RUNTIME>
> <GCSERVER enabled="true" />
> </RUNTIME>
>

> "Willy Denoyette [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Willy,
>> > The server version can be loaded in V1.1 SP1 via the app.config
>> >
>> > <configuration>
>> > <runtime>
>> > <gcServer enabled="true" />
>> > </runtime>
>> > </configuration>
>> >
>> > http://blogs.msdn.com/clyon/archive/...08/226981.aspx
>> >
>> > Hope this helps
>> > Jay
>> >

>> Absolutely right Jay, I always forget about v1.1 SP1, I wonder why!
>>
>> Willy.

Henning Krause [MVP]

Hello,

you could use the Process Explorer from Sysinternals (www.sysinternals.com).