Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Acronis or something similar?

Acronis or something similar?

Robert Baer

Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
present versions)?
Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
Ansible).

Paul Drahn

On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
> Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
> Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
> stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
> present versions)?
> Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
> flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
> Ansible).

Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.

It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
want to do for the entire hard drive.

I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
long time, but was 100% effective.

The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.

I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
bootable CD.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Robert Baer

Paul Drahn wrote:
> On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
>> Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
>> Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
>> stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
>> present versions)?
>> Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
>> flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
>> Ansible).
>>

> Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
>
> It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
> want to do for the entire hard drive.
>
> I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
> from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
> long time, but was 100% effective.
>
> The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
>
> I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
> bootable CD.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Paul

Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made,
the em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap
covering AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc,
ad-nauseum.
I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in
either direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.

If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap
by using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then
get off the tit of Win7).

What version of Acronis,and how much?

Paul Drahn

On 12/20/2012 1:11 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul Drahn wrote:
>> On 12/19/2012 11:03 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
>>> Once upon a time there Acronis could make a COPY or CLONE a hard drive.
>>> Where can i get/buy a copy of such a program that preferably runs
>>> stand-alone, like Ghost 2001 does (ie does not demand a given OS like
>>> present versions)?
>>> Am looking for something different and more "modern",meaning more
>>> flexible WRT data transmission methods (serial, parallel, USB, Ethernet,
>>> Ansible).
>>>

>> Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
>>
>> It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
>> want to do for the entire hard drive.
>>
>> I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
>> from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
>> long time, but was 100% effective.
>>
>> The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
>>
>> I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
>> bootable CD.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Paul

> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
>
> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
> off the tit of Win7).
>
> What version of Acronis,and how much?

I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.

Also look at:

http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm

This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.

The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
the parity error is gone.

I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any folders.

So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.

Paul

Robert Baer

Paul Drahn wrote:
> On 12/20/2012 1:11 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
>> Paul Drahn wrote:
>>>>
>>> Got my copy directly from Acronis. Purchased via the WWW.
>>>
>>> It allows you to make a bootable CD or DVD copy so you can do what you
>>> want to do for the entire hard drive.
>>>
>>> I used mine to copy an entire hard drive to a USB hard disk. Then copy
>>> from the USB drive to a newly installed hard drive in my laptop. Takes a
>>> long time, but was 100% effective.
>>>
>>> The stand alone CD/DVD doesn't care about or use an operating system.
>>>
>>> I did get the Acronis Win 7 version in order to be able to create the
>>> bootable CD.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
>> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
>> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
>> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
>> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
>> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
>> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
>> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
>> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
>>
>> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
>> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
>> off the tit of Win7).
>>
>> What version of Acronis,and how much?

> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
>
> Also look at:
>
> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
>
> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
>
> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
> the parity error is gone.
>
> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
> folders.
>
> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
>
> Paul

Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
or BACKUP.
LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
hoopla about g*ddamn image.
Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup,
scheduled backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
So,with that said..
Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
of those on a hard drive?

Thanks.

Paul

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul Drahn wrote:

>>> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
>>> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
>>> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
>>> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
>>> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
>>> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
>>> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
>>> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
>>> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
>>>
>>> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
>>> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
>>> off the tit of Win7).
>>>
>>> What version of Acronis,and how much?

>> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
>>
>> Also look at:
>>
>> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
>>
>> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
>>
>> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
>> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
>> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
>> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
>> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
>> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
>> the parity error is gone.
>>
>> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
>> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
>> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
>> folders.
>>
>> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
>>
>> Paul

> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
> or BACKUP.
> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup,
> scheduled backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
> So,with that said..
> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
> of those on a hard drive?
>
> Thanks.

There is a way to do that with a Linux LiveCD.

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb

As long as the disk "sdb" is bigger than "sda", that will do
a sector for sector copy. It doesn't matter the partition type,
as everything gets copied.

If the destination disk is smaller than the source, you'd have
to worry about the "bits down at the end". Using GPARTED, you could
move or shrink partitions until the only stuff of consequence
down at the end, can be safely lost.

sudo gparted

The Linux LiveCD can't deal with Windows Dynamic Disks. At least,
I was never able to get them mounted. Dynamic Disks may have some
info stored near the very end of the disk, in which case, the "sdb"
in the example should be bigger than "sda".

Similarly, RAID drives have some info about the RAID array, which is
stored near the end of the disk. The "dd" command may not deal well
with that. You'd test the setup first, to see what comes out.

But for more ordinary disk compositions, the "dd" is better than nothing.

By using the Linux LiveCD, the Windows pagefile should be idle. There
can be exceptions to that. At least a few distros have been clever enough,
to use the pagefile as a pagefile for Linux. In which case, you'd use
a "swapoff" type command to release the pagefile, before making your
copy.

If I was desperate for a means to copy files, I have a BartPE disk
with an NTBackup plugin for it. So I can run NTBackup from BartPE.
And that should be file-by-file based. I checked that at least
it would attempt to make a backup, but haven't actually done a full
backup-restore test to see that it works properly.

Some of the partition manager programs can be used to copy stuff from
one disk to another, but they can miss details like MBR boot code,
getting the destination partition number correct, correcting boot.ini
or BCD if the partition number changes, and so on. You can test
all of that. I did my testing, like tested the Easeus product,
using a virtual machine and a copy of Win2K. And then I can tell the
things it does well, and the things it doesn't do well. So if you
need to test any backup scenarios, something like VPC2007 is a good
place to do the testing, without getting your hands dirty. I've had
up to three virtual drives active in a single machine, while
testing backup scenarios. SRC_disk, Backup_disk, DEST_disk.

If you don't have something suitable for VPC2007 to run on, you
can use the free VirtualBox. The GUI control panel for that is a bit
harder to understand.

*******

I used this years ago, for a PC I set up for someone else.

You could check the description on this, and see if it matches your
needs. It took me about two days, to script things the way I wanted,
and the learning curve used to be steep, to make your first backup.
But after that, it can be relatively hands-free.

http://retrospect.com/

http://www.retrospect.com/en/products/win/versions

"Retrospect 8 Professional 5-Client

Protects a single non-server Windows PC and up to five additional
Windows, Mac, and Linux desktops and notebooks."

They list it here for $86, while another electronic copy of it was $117.

http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop...004&cac=Result

That should allow you to (indirectly) move stuff from one disk to another.
With a backup-restore intermediary step.

HTH,
Paul

Paul Drahn

On 12/23/2012 11:44 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul Drahn wrote:

>>> Well, the blurb does not exactly SAY that a true COPY can be made, the
>>> em-faa-sys is on dammed IMAGE (at least that is the way i read it).
>>> Also, there is a lot of blather about all the un-related crap covering
>>> AV, malware, active protection, active backup, etc, etc, ad-nauseum.
>>> I want ONLY COPY,no other BS.
>>> And if that bootable CD works from "scratch" and will copy ANY OS or
>>> combo of them from one HD to another HD,that is what i want.
>>> If it automatically can see an external (USB?) HD for a COPY in either
>>> direction (user selected, natch),that would be ideal.
>>>
>>> If all of that is true,then i can safely IGNORE the Win7 "only" crap by
>>> using Win 7 to load Acronis and then make that bootable CD (and then get
>>> off the tit of Win7).
>>>
>>> What version of Acronis,and how much?

>> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
>>
>> Also look at:
>>
>> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
>>
>> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
>>
>> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
>> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
>> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
>> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
>> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
>> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
>> the parity error is gone.
>>
>> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
>> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
>> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
>> folders.
>>
>> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
>>
>> Paul

> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
> or BACKUP.
> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
> backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
> So,with that said..
> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
> of those on a hard drive?
>
> Thanks.

Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.

Paul

Robert Baer

Paul Drahn wrote:
> On 12/23/2012 11:44 PM, Robert Baer wrote:
>> Paul Drahn wrote:

>>> I bought the 2013 version CD. I see they are on sale for a little while.
>>>
>>> Also look at:
>>>
>>> http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/create_cd.htm
>>>
>>> This will show the steps to create the CD and what it can do.
>>>
>>> The old HD on my laptop was reporting a parity error in the cache
>>> memory. I ran it for several months and never had an actual data error.
>>> With the Acronis CD, I copied the entire HD to an external HD on USB.
>>> Then removed the old HD and put in a new HD and used the CD, again, to
>>> copy all to the new HD. Took a LONG time, whole Sunday afternoon, but
>>> when completed, I could not tell any difference with the new HD, except
>>> the parity error is gone.
>>>
>>> I now use the Acronis scheduled backup to make a backup on the USB HD
>>> every Sunday night. I can look at the backup and see all the folders
>>> there that are on my system HD. I have not had occasion restore any
>>> folders.
>>>
>>> So, I think the current, 2013, Acronis product will do what you want.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
>> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
>> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
>> or BACKUP.
>> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
>> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
>> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
>> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
>> backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
>> So,with that said..
>> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
>> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
>> of those on a hard drive?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
> page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.
>
> Paul

Well,even that reference that mentions how to make a bootable CD
waves flags, has performers on the highwire, clowns, etc concerning
IMAGE: "..you could just pop the bootable CD in and run True Image from
the CD to restore the IMAGE that you made.." without a peep about CLONE
/ BACKUP.
What i do now,is boot my computer to DOS and use GhostPE to COPY my
working HD to a second HD (all are in removable HD plugin trays); when
done, shut down computer, unplug the COPY and reboot.
When the working HD dies, i can unplug it and plug the copy in, and i
am back in business in less than a minute.
No fiddling with some (must be bootable) image restore that can take
ages with lotza data to finally at last maybe have a bootable drive to use.

So, i will try Acronis True Image 2003 and see if it will make a COPY
using a stand-alone CD like mentioned in that article.
I certainly am not convinced that is possible.
If not, i will lose shipping and handling in both directions IF they
honor their "promise" of good customer service to that degree.
They certainly do NOT have any way to ask questions; their FAQ etc
are useless in regards to my concern; meaning that their flag-waving
about "superior" customer service is not as meaningful as that implied.

Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote:
> Paul Drahn wrote:

>>> Please forgive my ignorance and stupidity.
>>> Nowhere in the Acronis site (or any other site) is there any info if
>>> Acronis 2013 can make a (true) COPY, or even a stand-alone way to COPY
>>> or BACKUP.
>>> LOTS of waving flags, banners, brass bands, circus performers, etc
>>> hoopla about g*ddamn image.
>>> Now i can ignore image capability,as long as it can COPY.
>>> Am assuming i can also ignore cloud crap, incremental backup, scheduled
>>> backup etc (and not having any of that junk clandestine).
>>> So,with that said..
>>> Please, can a bootable program be made that will COPY any hard drive:
>>> DOS, any version of MS$ windoze, any version of Linux, any combination
>>> of those on a hard drive?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Trust me!!!! Famous last words! Yes, It will make a bootable CD. The web
>> page I sent the link to shows the exact steps I went thru.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Well,even that reference that mentions how to make a bootable CD waves
> flags, has performers on the highwire, clowns, etc concerning IMAGE:
> "..you could just pop the bootable CD in and run True Image from the CD
> to restore the IMAGE that you made.." without a peep about CLONE / BACKUP.
> What i do now,is boot my computer to DOS and use GhostPE to COPY my
> working HD to a second HD (all are in removable HD plugin trays); when
> done, shut down computer, unplug the COPY and reboot.
> When the working HD dies, i can unplug it and plug the copy in, and i am
> back in business in less than a minute.
> No fiddling with some (must be bootable) image restore that can take
> ages with lotza data to finally at last maybe have a bootable drive to use.
>
> So, i will try Acronis True Image 2003 and see if it will make a COPY
> using a stand-alone CD like mentioned in that article.
> I certainly am not convinced that is possible.
> If not, i will lose shipping and handling in both directions IF they
> honor their "promise" of good customer service to that degree.
> They certainly do NOT have any way to ask questions; their FAQ etc are
> useless in regards to my concern; meaning that their flag-waving about
> "superior" customer service is not as meaningful as that implied.

I must apologize; it dew work.
Secrets not divulged:
a) "backup" (within space constraints) makes an IMAGE in any selected
folder.
b) Must use "Tools & Utilities" and select "CLONE" there, and then one
is in business.

What i did not like (nitpick, nitpick) were the screens of the
Acronis program itself; they were larger than the CRT scan in both
directions, cutting off a fair part of the menus on top, and the "X"
close impossible to access - so one could not close the program; had to
do the 3-finger salute and use the OS Task Manager.
Some of the stuff on the left were also cut off due to that enlargement.

At least i did not have to pay for shipping or handling..

What the heck is that "Plus Pack" anyway?

clairexiang1@gmail.com

AOMEI Data Backuper – Free backup and restore software for home and commercial use. http://www.aomeitech.com/