Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > NetBeans and bundles: what are needed ?

NetBeans and bundles: what are needed ?

SL@maxis

I am trying to get Netbeans IDE for Linux (for Java and C/C++), but a bit
confused what the documentation.

On Netbeans web page, it says Java 6 is needed for C/C++ and PHP.

The next paragraph says JDK6 is needed for all bundles.

My question: do I need both Java6 and JDK6 ?

Thanks for tips (trying to cut down some headche.

Lew

SL@maxis wrote:
> I am trying to get Netbeans IDE for Linux (for Java and C/C++), but a bit
> confused what the documentation.
>
> On Netbeans web page, it says Java 6 is needed for C/C++ and PHP.
>
> The next paragraph says JDK6 is needed for all bundles.
>
> My question: do I need both Java6 and JDK6 ?

JDK 6 *is* Java 6.

But it's on the edge of obsolete:
"After February 2013, Oracle will no longer post updates of Java SE 6
to its public download sites. Existing Java SE 6 downloads already
posted as of February 2013 will remain accessible in the Java Archive
on Oracle Technology Network. Developers and end-users are encouraged
to update to more recent Java SE versions that remain available for
public download."
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So what you need is Java 7.

And to read the documentation.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...-6-141920.html

Substitute "7" for "6" in the content (not the URL) to get current.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ng-418744.html

From these sources we see that "JDK" means "Java™ SE Development Kit"
("Due to significant popularity within the Java developer community"
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ge-140185.html)
and "JRE" means "Java™ SE Runtime Environment". There is also "Oracle
Java SE Advanced and Oracle Java SE Suite",
http://www.oracle.com/us/technologie...iew/index.html,
not to mention versions from IBM and others.

They are all Java SE, be they JRE, JDK, Advanced or whatnot.

Since NetBeans is a Java program, it requires Java to run. Since you are
developing code, it needs the development kit for Java, in addition to
the runtime.

In your case, Java 7.

--
Lew

SL@maxis

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:50:56 +0800, Lew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> So what you need is Java 7.
>
> And to read the documentation.
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...-6-141920.html
>
> Substitute "7" for "6" in the content (not the URL) to get current.
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ng-418744.html
>
> From these sources we see that "JDK" means "Java™ SE Development Kit"
> ("Due to significant popularity within the Java developer community"
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ge-140185.html)
> and "JRE" means "Java™ SE Runtime Environment". There is also "Oracle
> Java SE Advanced and Oracle Java SE Suite",
> http://www.oracle.com/us/technologie...iew/index.html,
> not to mention versions from IBM and others.
>
> They are all Java SE, be they JRE, JDK, Advanced or whatnot.
>
> Since NetBeans is a Java program, it requires Java to run. Since you are
> developing code, it needs the development kit for Java, in addition to
> the runtime.
>
> In your case, Java 7.

Whew, the documentation is overwhelming, just like when I started with
"windoze".

Thanks, that should save me some head-banging.