Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > removing heat sink from memory modules

removing heat sink from memory modules

housetrained

Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will they
overheat?
housetrained

Paul

housetrained wrote:
> Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
> they overheat?
> housetrained

The easiest way to do this, is to look at the non-enthusiast modules
Kingston sells.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=1&srchInDesc=

No heatsinks.

And some are low profile, which helps if you have an overhead
clearance problem.

On enthusiast modules, the heatsinks are put there as much to
hide the chip numbers, as to provide necessary cooling. In fact,
with the heatsinks removed, there's more room in the channel
between modules, for cooling air. If four modules with heatsinks
sit side by side, some of the modules have no air channel to
either side. And then end up relying on the top fins for cooling.

Paul

Jeff Strickland

"housetrained" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kaejlm$ua8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
> they overheat?
> housetrained

No. Heatsinks don't do anything that is important. Just take it off if it
gets in the way.

Sheesh! Do you REALLY think they go through the trouble to put a heatsink on
stuff that doesn't need to have one? Memory modules create heat that needs
to be pulled away, that is why the manufacturers put heatsinks on.

Do not remove the heatsink, else prepare yourself for unreliable operation
if you do.

Paul

Jeff Strickland wrote:

> "housetrained" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:kaejlm$ua8$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone removed the heat sink from Corsair vengeance and if so will
>> they overheat?
>> housetrained

> No. Heatsinks don't do anything that is important. Just take it off if
> it gets in the way.
>
> Sheesh! Do you REALLY think they go through the trouble to put a
> heatsink on stuff that doesn't need to have one? Memory modules create
> heat that needs to be pulled away, that is why the manufacturers put
> heatsinks on.
>
> Do not remove the heatsink, else prepare yourself for unreliable
> operation if you do.

When they don't want you removing the heatsink, they use rivets
like this. This one is a RAMBUS module, which is prone to getting
hot spots, due to the serial interconnect and single chip access
method.

http://www.kitchentablecomputers.com...nents/rimm.gif

DDR/DDR2/DDR3 don't get hot spots. All the chips run at the same
temperature (normal operation, random data). Accesses to the chips
happen in parallel, with all chips in a rank, responding at the
same time.

DDR/DDR2/DDR3 don't use rivets. Instead, crappy double-sided tape
is used.

The fact Kingston makes so many of their ValueRAM modules without
any metal plates on top, should tell you something. They don't
need it.

The chips on my current Kingston module, have no heatsink,
and the surface temperature is similar to my body temperature.
A little below 40C.

Paul