Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: samba 4 release

Re: samba 4 release

Mark Lawrence

Awesome!!! But what the **** is it???

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.

Steven D'Aprano

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:40:47 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

> On 12/12/2012 17:39, peter wrote:
>> On 12/12/2012 02:38 PM, peter wrote:
>>> Hellou.
>>>
>>> Samba4 first release, with python interface for the internals api,
>>> and a implementation of the DC in python .
>>>
>>> Viva la python!!!!

>> I forgot to put the link of the good news
>>
>> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html
>>

> Awesome!!! But what the **** is it???

You don't have access to the web where you are?

Copied from https://www.samba.org/

[quote]
Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for
Linux and Unix.

Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the
Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.

Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print
services for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all
versions of DOS and Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.

Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix
Servers and Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind
daemon.
[end quote]

--
Steven

Terry Reedy

On 12/12/2012 7:18 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:40:47 +0000, Mark Lawrence wrote:

>>> I forgot to put the link of the good news
>>>
>>> https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.0.0.html

Which has the following:

Python Scripting Interface
==========================

A new scripting interface has been added to Samba 4, allowing
Python programs to interface to Samba's internals, and many tools and
internal workings of the DC code is now implemented in python.

which is indeed great news for Pythonistas who work with Samba.

> > Awesome!!! But what the **** is it???

> You don't have access to the web where you are?
>
> Copied from https://www.samba.org/
>
> [quote]
> Samba is the standard Windows interoperability suite of programs for
> Linux and Unix.
>
> Samba is Free Software licensed under the GNU General Public License, the
> Samba project is a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy.
>
> Since 1992, Samba has provided secure, stable and fast file and print
> services for all clients using the SMB/CIFS protocol, such as all
> versions of DOS and Windows, OS/2, Linux and many others.
>
> Samba is an important component to seamlessly integrate Linux/Unix
> Servers and Desktops into Active Directory environments using the winbind
> daemon.
> [end quote]

As I understand, Active Directory is the center, so to speak, of a
Windows server universe. The Wikipedia entry may be clearer than some of
Microsoft's pages.

--
Terry Jan Reedy

Re: samba 4 release Michael Torrie Python 2 12-13-2012 03:36 AM
Re: samba 4 release peter Python 0 12-12-2012 05:39 PM
samba 4 release peter Python 0 12-12-2012 05:38 PM
Samba PDC and PIX Firewall Mirek Cisco 0 02-19-2004 02:25 PM
Logging on a Samba PDC over Cisco Router Raffi Cisco 4 02-06-2004 07:35 PM

Advertisments