Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

Is Apple doomed, the way IBM ended up in the PC market?

nospam

In article <2012121214453979149-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> The 8GB iPhone 4, is a discontinued phone, basically a loss leader, and
> Verizon is offering it as a clearance item.

actually, it's not discontinued. it's still being made. it's just an
older model for those who don't want to spend $99 for a 4s or $199 for
a 5.

Rob

On 13/12/2012 8:45 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-12-12 13:32:15 -0800, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> Per Alfred Molon:
>>> Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
>>> minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
>>> expensive.

>> My Sam sung Note was close to $600: $520 for the device, $55 for
>> a sixty-gig SD card, plus a few bucks here-and-there for a cover,
>> screen protector, a few wires, and so-forth.

> My "Step-daughter from Hell" just got a $0 8GB Verizon iPhone 4,
> unlimited voice, unlimited text, 2GB $80/month data plan.
>
> She is a low data(for now), high text user who previously had a
> $54/month limited voice and text plan.
> ...and she is absolutely happy with the new toy.

And that would cost her about $2000 over the contract period - cheap toy!

How do you know if its cost effective when you are on a plan? (with
unlimited voice and text).

The way I read this, phone say $600 outright, which leaves $60/mth for
usage. Does she use all this?

nospam

In article <2012121216033911967-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> > I'm paying 20 Euro/month for a voice+data plan (and there are even
> > cheaper plans available). Not even in my wildest dreams I would think of
> > paying $80/month.

> E20= $61.20 and you still have to buy the phone.

there are smartphone plans for less than that, *with* a free phone.

Paul J Gans

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Per Anthony Polson:
>>In laptop and desktop computers, Apple had an advantage that other
>>manufacturers didn't: its operating system. Now Windows does most of
>>not all of the things that made Apple's OS distinctly different.

>I used tb a total MacIntosh chauvinist. Even wrote a little
>sales/inventory control application for my 7" Mac Plus to support
>a backyard windsurfing equipment business.

>That was a loooooong time ago.

>Since then I've been making a living writing MS Office
>applications that run under Window.

>A few years ago, somebody graduated from design school and just
>*had* to have a Mac. I bought her the biggest-baddest Mac I
>could find.

>Had about two weeks to fool around with it before graduation day.

>My take was that Windows and Mac OS's (from the user's
>perspective & plug/play) were about the same.

>I'd even go so far as to say I prefer Windows XP over whatever
>was running on that Mac. For one thing, there are multiple ways
>to resize a window under XP. With the Mac I was restricted to
>just one way.

>When somebody asks me which they should get, I tell them to count
>up the people they know well enough to ask for computer help and
>choose the system that the most of those people have.

That's probably the most useful advice anybody has given.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

tony cooper

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:49:18 -0500, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <kab1cc$i8i$(E-Mail Removed)>, Rob <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>> Why are you adding into the price free phones on contract.

>that's how nearly all cellphones are sold.
>
>> Its not bullshit at all. Just your way of justifying a contract.

>i'm not justifying anything. that's how the cellphone business works.
>
>> Who wants a contract I certainly don't.

>most people buy cellphones with a contract.

My son just got a brand-new *free* Toyota Camry. All he has to do is
make the monthly payments.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Per RichA:
>> IBM made huge mistakes that cost it a market they dominated.
>> Microsoft is struggling (sort of) to shore up against dropping demand
>> for PC's. But how about Apple's huge phone market?
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/20/open_and_shut/

> Had a doctor's appointment yesterday - where I discovered that
> both the doctor and one of his assistants were about to trade
> their iPhones for Samsung Note II's.
>
> Neither one impresses me as being very technweenieish.
>
> I'm looking forward to hearing how happy/unhappy they are with
> Android vs IOS.
>
> Seems to me like, without Jobs, Apple is in danger of becoming
> dominated by marketing and accounting people.

That is very common. The Galaxy Note/SII/III, or whatever those large Sammy
mobiles are called, seem more common along the streets and on the trains
nowadays.

The last iDevice that made me go wow was the iPad 2, and now we have had
three more iPads and three more iPhones released that were just meh.

tony cooper

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:23:13 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2012-12-12 18:02:30 -0800, Alan Browne
><(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 2012.12.12 14:26 , Anthony Polson wrote:
>>
>>> I had a difficult decision to stay with Apple for my laptop. In the
>>> end, it was the high resolution Retina display that convinced me.

>> Enjoy:
>> http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...Pro-Retina-scr
>> een-burn-in-ghost-images.html
>>
>> http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...Pro-Retina-scr
>> een-burn-in-followup.html
>>
>> http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major...cBook-Pro-with
>> -Retina-Display-277558.shtml

>Well your URL's seem to be a little fractured, so here they are reconstituted:
><
>http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...st-images.html
>>

><
>http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/...-followup.html
>>

><
>http://news.softpedia.com/news/Major...y-277558.shtml
>>

>So it seems that things might not be completely rosy in the for Retina
>Display owners.
>Fortunately with my iMac, MBP, PBP, iPad2, and iPhone4S, I only have
>one Retina display, that in the iPhone.
>BTW my current iPad, iMac, MBP, and PBP displays seem to perform pretty well.
>
>It will be interesting to see the Polson long term report on his new
>Retina Display devices.
>
>I would also expect some opinion on this subject from "nospam".

We know his answers:

1. Bullshit
2. Nonsense
3. Apple is not more expensive for comparable...
4. It's free if you agree to pay.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

RichA

On Dec 12, 1:50*pm, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
>
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > Had a doctor's appointment yesterday - where I discovered that
> > > both the doctor and one of his assistants were about to trade
> > > their iPhones for Samsung Note II's.

> > > Neither one impresses me as being very technweenieish.

> > > I'm looking forward to hearing how happy/unhappy they are with
> > > Android vs IOS.

> > Lsst year I was looking for a smartphone for my wife. I wouldn't have
> > minded buying an iphone for her, but they were so ridicolously
> > expensive.

> bullshit.
>
> iphones are the same price as any other comparable android smartphone
> or even windows phone. the iphone 5 is $200, which is the same price as
> a galaxy s3. the iphone 4 is *free* with contract.
>
> plus, the real price of a cellphone is not the price of the device, but
> the monthly contract you're locked into for 2 years. an extra $100 one
> way or the other for the phone itself is negligible in the grand scheme
> of things. that's a month or two of cell service, depending on the
> plan.

Cellphones and contracts are like speeding tickets, the cost comes in
the insurance increases, not the actual ticket. Some woman in England
just got a cellphone bill for $11,000 for one month. She did
something wrong.

RichA

On Dec 12, 6:36*pm, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <2012121213454580979-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>, Savageduck
> says...
>
> > My "Step-daughter from Hell" just got a $0 8GB Verizon iPhone 4,
> > unlimited voice, unlimited text, 2GB $80/month data plan.

> I'm paying 20 Euro/month for a voice+data plan (and there are even
> cheaper plans available). Not even in my wildest dreams I would think of
> paying $80/month.
> --

Don't come to Canada, land of the most expensive communications rates
on the planet.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Eric Stevens
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> That tells you nothing about the cost.
> >>
> >> It just tells you someone else paid for it.

> >it doesn't matter who paid for it, the fact is that iphones are not
> >more expensive than android or other similar smartphones.
> >
> >and actually, *she* did pay for the phone, it's just that the actual
> >price is part of the 2 year contract. if she cancels that contract
> >before the 2 years, the remaining balance of the phone will be due,
> >known as an early termination fee.
> >
> >the point is that iphones, android phones and windows phones all cost
> >about the same for similar devices, and that the bulk of the cost is
> >not the phone itself, but the 2 year contract.

> You may be right but so far you have produced absolutely no evidence.

go learn how the cellphone industry works. all of the evidence is there.