Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Anyone created an online slideshow from a few jpgs?

Anyone created an online slideshow from a few jpgs?

dorayme

I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

--
dorayme

richard

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

I juar have to say this:

TROLL POST!

Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
you could use.

www.dynamicdrive.com

try them out.

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-12-10 7:49, dorayme wrote:

> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself.

For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
to the next page. You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,

For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
with JavaScript too, of course.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

dorayme

In article <ka47do$a0f$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 2012-12-10 7:49, dorayme wrote:
>
> > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

> It's probably simplest (at least for an experienced person like you) to
> write your own code than to look for existing code, find something, and
> then find it wanting so that you need to tweak it, and eventually
> realize that it would have been faster to do it all yourself.

I am starting to think this is the only way. Seemed like a good idea
to ask in case anyone has come across any really good facility.

> For robustness and accessibility, you should probably create a set of
> pages, each containing an image, possibly a caption for it, and a link
> to the next page.

Which is what I have always in the past done, you are right. It makes
for rock solid.

> You could make the page autofocus on the link (as
> there is very little else on the page), so that the user can just hit Enter,
>
> For a smoother experience, on supporting browsers, you could use an
> application manifest to load all the images initially. You could do this
> with JavaScript too, of course.

Yes, thanks.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <tmw556w8xxh9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>
> > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

> I juar have to say this:
>
> TROLL POST!
>
> Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
> have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
> I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
> you could use.
>
> www.dynamicdrive.com

Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!

> try them out.

It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
happy to share.

--
dorayme

BootNic

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

Forget about tired old browsers?

http://<br /> https://docs.google.co...MjQyNTYy<br />

Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
display the double angle quotation marks.

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
content: '«';
}

#lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
content: '»';

• No javascript

• css3

• base64 encoded images

• modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

--
BootNic Mon Dec 10, 2012 09:09 am
Thirty-five is when you finally get your head together and your body starts

richard

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:31:14 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> In article <tmw556w8xxh9$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:
>>
>>> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
>>> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
>>> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

>> I juar have to say this:
>>
>> TROLL POST!
>>
>> Only because knowing that you've been around html quite a few years and
>> have a damned good knowledge of it, you need to ask?
>> I mean hell, like there must be a few thousand slideshow scripts out there
>> you could use.
>>
>> www.dynamicdrive.com
>>

> Like the first one that comes up in Image Slideshows as "DHTML slide
> show (manual) FF1+ IE5+ Opr7+". IE5? FF!
>
>> try them out.

> It never ceases to amaze me that usenet replies so often miss that
> sometimes a question is out of respect for the knowledge and
> experience of regular contributors and visitors who might have come
> across particularly good ways to do this or that lately and might be
> happy to share.

Ya know, I don't believe javascript cares which version the browser is.
The script was created to work in virtually any browser.
I pointed to dynamicdrive only as one possible source of the scripts.
With a little looking, you could find a few that fit your needs.

richard

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:49:25 +1100, dorayme wrote:

> I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> in a documents that validate or nearly validate.

www.1littleworld.net/brucie/slideshow.php

Simple, nice slideshow that works.

dorayme

In article <ka4h4a$d9o$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> dorayme wrote:
>
> > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are in
> > a documents that validate or nearly validate.

> Remember brucie?

Yes, he was just leaving when I came in.

> This may be useful. Here is his slideshow PHP script, which I think is
> elegant. Easily modifiable for repeat usage - simply type in a few
> variables for each show, save and upload. Best point: it is under 5 KB,
> unlike those zillion-megabyte JavaScripts that RtS mentions (because he
> can't write one).
>
> <http://tekrider.net/usenet/slideshow.php.txt>
>
> Naturally, you save it as a .php file. The .txt extension is added here so
> you can look at it.
>
> brucie was an excellent programmer...

Yes, I had a look at this as a result of your post and got a basic
show going after a fashion, will consider styling it to suit. Thanks.

--
dorayme

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
BootNic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am interested to hear about ways people have found that are good for
> > creating online slideshows from a few jpgs that look elegant and are
> > in a documents that validate or nearly validate.
> >

> Forget about tired old browsers?
>
> http://<br /> > https://docs.google....QyNTYy<br /> >
>
> Depending on the browser, google may muck up the encoding just a bit. May not
> display the double angle quotation marks.
>
> #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:first-child:before {
> content: '«';
> }
>
> #lightbox [id^='nav'] label:last-child:before {
> content: '»';
>
> • No javascript
>
> • css3
>
> • base64 encoded images
>
> • modern browsers only no IE 8 or less

Wanting but not *quite* willing to forget them! Thanks anyway.

--
dorayme