Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

Re: Which is best method of saving pdf files from web?

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <ka2m18$dfn$(E-Mail Removed)>,

> > > No Adobe Reader on this system either. I use Foxit, but regardless I'd
> > > rather receive light-weight HTML over bloated PDF.

> > Which is what I went on to say.

> Better is to send the URL rather than to send HTML to people who would
> not know what to do with it. But that is perhaps what you both mean.
>
> About relative sizes, it is true that a PDF that reflects many of the
> features available on an HTML page in a browser is way bigger. One
> 100K HTML page (including pics) I had was over 1MB in a PDF.

I had a look at a site saved with Safari's Save as. A bloody great big
unreadable XML file. But double-click it, and you get the original site
right back, with clickable links (at least the couple I tried). No
visible HTML in the file though.

--
Tim

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tim Streater <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > About relative sizes, it is true that a PDF that reflects many of the
> > features available on an HTML page in a browser is way bigger. One
> > 100K HTML page (including pics) I had was over 1MB in a PDF.

> I had a look at a site saved with Safari's Save as. A bloody great big
> unreadable XML file. But double-click it, and you get the original site
> right back, with clickable links (at least the couple I tried). No
> visible HTML in the file though.

Yes, that's right. Usually you can get to a live original via it by
seeing some home page navigation link.

--
dorayme

Andreas Prilop

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> You could use &#xfb01; and &#xfb03; for the ligature characters
> in HTML, but it is generally better not do that. Instead, you
> should use normal Ascii letters, fi and ffi, and possibly
> either suggest or forbid ligature behavior. (Modern browsers
> are able to replace such letter combinations by ligature glyphs,
> when a suitable font is used;

But which browser(s) will give use Armenian ligatures
other than writing U+FB13 U+FB17 directly?
http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtc...-alphabet.html

and insult of the Prophet.
Checked by Thinkpol anti-obscenity system v. 6.66.

Doug Miller

MrBean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed). au:

[...]
> The mail can be even compressed with winrar or winzip and put password
> there as well.

Thus almost guaranteeing that it will be intercepted by a corporate firewall...

Jukka K. Korpela

2012-12-11 21:04, Andreas Prilop wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2012, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> You could use &#xfb01; and &#xfb03; for the ligature characters
>> in HTML, but it is generally better not do that. Instead, you
>> should use normal Ascii letters, “fi” and “ffi”, and possibly
>> either suggest or forbid ligature behavior. (Modern browsers
>> are able to replace such letter combinations by ligature glyphs,
>> when a suitable font is used;

> But which browser(s) will give use Armenian ligatures
> other than writing U+FB13 … U+FB17 directly?
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtc...-alphabet.html

It does not depend on browser, except for the issue of general support
to ligatures. It depends on the font: the font needs to contain a
ligature glyph *and* OpenType information that maps a character pair to
the glyph. Most fonts don’t even contain those glyphs.

But the Sylfaen font, included in several versions of Windows,
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/....aspx?FMID=869
has both the glyphs and the information. So if you set the font to
Sylfaen and write just e.g. U+0574 ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER MEN (մ) and
U+0576 ARMENIAN SMALL LETTER NOW (ն), then Firefox will by default
render them using the ligature glyph that is the same as for the
character U+FB13 ARMENIAN SMALL LIGATURE MEN NOW (ﬓ).

Oops, please let me take back by first statement. On Chrome, you
normally get ligatures (when supported by the font in use) if you set
text-rendering: optimizeLegibility
or
-webkit-font-feature-settings: "liga"
in CSS. But for some odd reason, this does not work for the Armenian
ligatures, even though it works e.g. for “fi” when using Sylfaen.
(Sylfaen has a limited set of ligature mappings: for the Armenian
letters mentioned, and for fi, fl, IJ, and ij. They are all defined the
same way, as Standard Ligatures, "liga". Perhaps the reason is that all
of these mappings are defined as applying to script "latn", Latin, not
as applying to all scripts.)

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/