Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > NetBeans on Linux/Android: Java, C/C++

NetBeans on Linux/Android: Java, C/C++

SL@maxis

I am thinking of writing C/C++, java for Linux and Android, on desktop of
course.

Any problem with NetBeans. Trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.

Thanks.

SL@maxis

> I am thinking of writing C/C++, java for Linux and Android, on desktop
> of course.
>
> Any problem with NetBeans. Trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.
>
> Thanks.

Someone recommended that debugging should be done with GDB. Any comment ?

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/7/2012 2:08 AM, SL@maxis wrote:
> I am thinking of writing C/C++, java for Linux and Android, on desktop
> of course.
>
> Any problem with NetBeans. Trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.

No.

(Eclipse is a bit more widely used, but NB is fine)

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/7/2012 2:11 AM, SL@maxis wrote:
>> I am thinking of writing C/C++, java for Linux and Android, on desktop
>> of course.
>>
>> Any problem with NetBeans. Trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.

> Someone recommended that debugging should be done with GDB. Any comment ?

Use whatever NB provides.

I would assume that to be a GUI on top of GDB for C/C++.

Arne

Lew

SL@maxis wrote:
> I am thinking of writing C/C++, java [sic] for Linux and Android, on desktop of
> course.

Android on desktop? Interesting. I don't see the "of course" in that.

> Any problem with NetBeans. Trying to kill 3 birds with one stone.

Eclipse does Android screen layouts in a GUI model, although I am not so comfortable
with it personally. I do prefer Eclipse for Android development. Its ADK plugin is good,
albeit little more than a wrapper for command-line "android ..." commands.

NetBeans does Swing GUIs better than Eclipse, from what I've read. Its GUI programming
assistance is rather good, once you get used to the dance of property sheets for event
handlers and how to write your helper methods outside the protected areas.

I ignore SWT.

I like NetBeans better for C/C++ and general Java development (Java SE, EE). Both products work
well as dashboards for enterprise work, i.e., to monitor app servers, DBMSes, message
beans, queues, yada. I'm personally more comfortable with NetBeans's style options -
it doesn't have as many as Eclipse which is better to some, not to others.

Both integrate with lint and bug-hunting tools like FindBugs and have good extensible
(and platform) architectures. You need Aptana for Eclipse (or its standalone equivalent)
if you're doing Javascript in Eclipse.

"Debugging should be done with GDB"? Whatever. GDB doesn't integrate well with
NB or Eclipse that I've heard, but hey, I don't know. It does integrate simply beautifully
with emacs. GDB is useless for Java.

If you're using an IDE, you've already got a debugger. I don't know why you'd need two.

--
Lew

markspace

On 12/7/2012 10:59 AM, Lew wrote:
> SL@maxis wrote:
>> I am thinking of writing C/C++, java [sic] for Linux and Android, on desktop of
>> course.

> Android on desktop? Interesting. I don't see the "of course" in that.

I was thinking "buzzword compliance, of course." Although Android
development does often take place on a desktop, and Google has an
emulator that does run Android apps on your desktop development system.

That said, I was also thinking "auto-generated spam without the
involvement of human cognition, of course."

SL@maxis

> Eclipse does Android screen layouts in a GUI model, although I am not so
> comfortable
> with it personally. I do prefer Eclipse for Android development. Its ADK
> plugin is good,
> albeit little more than a wrapper for command-line "android ..."
> commands.

> If you're using an IDE, you've already got a debugger. I don't know why
> you'd need two.

OK, Thanks.

Seems like I better have two, Eclipse for Android, Netbeans for Java and
C/C++.

Actually "on desktop", I was thinking of Linux on desktop.

NetBeans cannot run on Android device, I suppose.

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/7/2012 9:24 PM, SL@maxis wrote:
>> Eclipse does Android screen layouts in a GUI model, although I am not
>> so comfortable
>> with it personally. I do prefer Eclipse for Android development. Its
>> ADK plugin is good,
>> albeit little more than a wrapper for command-line "android ..."
>> commands.

> Seems like I better have two, Eclipse for Android, Netbeans for Java and
> C/C++.
>
> Actually "on desktop", I was thinking of Linux on desktop.
>
> NetBeans cannot run on Android device, I suppose.

NetBeans is done using Swing and Android does not support
Swing, so ...

Arne

markspace

On 12/7/2012 6:24 PM, SL@maxis wrote:

> Seems like I better have two, Eclipse for Android, Netbeans for Java and
> C/C++.

Nothing wrong with two, but I'm sure Eclipse does both Android and Java.

I know NetBeans does Java, Android, and C/C++, if you're interested in
using one IDE. NetBeans even recognizes my C/C++ install of Cygwin
(Unix port running on top of Windows) and will use that as my C/C++
compiler if I ask it too.

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/7/2012 9:56 PM, markspace wrote:
> On 12/7/2012 6:24 PM, SL@maxis wrote:
>>
>> Seems like I better have two, Eclipse for Android, Netbeans for Java and
>> C/C++.

> Nothing wrong with two, but I'm sure Eclipse does both Android and Java.
>
> I know NetBeans does Java, Android, and C/C++, if you're interested in
> using one IDE. NetBeans even recognizes my C/C++ install of Cygwin
> (Unix port running on top of Windows) and will use that as my C/C++
> compiler if I ask it too.

Eclipse also does C/C++.

Arne