Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > A HashMap isn't storing all of the entries.

A HashMap isn't storing all of the entries.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Oooh! A value judgment

What is the matter with you Lew? You ALWAYS include a personal attack
along with your advice. What for? It is just a reflexive rudeness.

People have every right to be where they are. There was a time when
even you did not know everything. Should you too have been belittled
for being a beginner?

We are here to HELP beginners, to encourage them to become better
programmers, not to scare them off.

It is a very unbecoming trait. It is as though you constantly need to
stroke you own ego by finding excuses to put others down.

Perhaps your goal is to scare off new Java programmers. In that you
have been remarkably successful.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>

>Oooh! A value judgment!

If you were "helping" people face to face, and you said the things you
do routinely on the net, people would punch your lights out. You
simply would not do it. You are hiding behind the net to behave like
a jerk.

Daniel Pitts

On 12/8/12 2:10 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Oooh! A value judgment!

> If you were "helping" people face to face, and you said the things you
> do routinely on the net, people would punch your lights out. You
> simply would not do it. You are hiding behind the net to behave like
> a jerk.

I'm not going to offer a judgement on whether or not Lew is rude. I
will point out however that he is usually helpful, which I can't say
about many pedants on usenet. In other newsgroups I've been lead down
the garden path by people ostensibly "helping" me. Lew is usually, if
nothing else, to the point and accurate.

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/8/2012 4:01 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Oooh! A value judgment

> What is the matter with you Lew? You ALWAYS include a personal attack
> along with your advice. What for? It is just a reflexive rudeness.

If "Oooh! A value judgment" is considered a personal attack, then
I don't think that person is suited for usenet.

If you were referring to something else the quote it.

> People have every right to be where they are. There was a time when
> even you did not know everything. Should you too have been belittled
> for being a beginner?
>
> We are here to HELP beginners, to encourage them to become better
> programmers, not to scare them off.
>
> It is a very unbecoming trait. It is as though you constantly need to
> stroke you own ego by finding excuses to put others down.
>
> Perhaps your goal is to scare off new Java programmers. In that you
> have been remarkably successful.

Lew can sometimes be a bit hard on beginners, but I did not see anything
in this thread.

Did you read it?

Arne

Arne Vajh°j

On 12/8/2012 5:10 AM, Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), Lew <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
>> Oooh! A value judgment!

> If you were "helping" people face to face, and you said the things you
> do routinely on the net, people would punch your lights out. You
> simply would not do it. You are hiding behind the net to behave like
> a jerk.

Maybe.

Or maybe Lew is living in an environment where it is not
considered acceptable to use violence.

Just because you apparently accept violence in discussions
does not mean that it is accepted everywhere.

Arne