Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: ping Gary Eickmeier

Re: ping Gary Eickmeier

David Taylor

On 05/12/2012 01:53, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Check out this example of raw and jpeg, from my old Sony.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/flintstonestudio/raw_vs_jpg

Unfortunately, having no sun when the JPEG shot but sun when the RAW was
shot does rather spoil the comparison!
--
Cheers,
David

David Taylor

On 06/12/2012 02:07, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 09:17:11 +0000, David Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 05/12/2012 01:53, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>> Check out this example of raw and jpeg, from my old Sony.
>>>
>>> http://www.pbase.com/flintstonestudio/raw_vs_jpg

>> Unfortunately, having no sun when the JPEG shot but sun when the RAW was
>> shot does rather spoil the comparison!

> The sun was kind of spotty, some pics had more sun in the foreground than
> others... check out those clouds...
>
> I'm still looking for better comparison photos, I stopped taking jpegs around
> picture 250 or so... and it's hard to find a match.
>
> I will add more examples.
>
> Good eye, BTW!

Yes, I take your point with the clouds, and under-exposing (to ensure
the clouds aren't clipped) will do more harm to the JPEG than to the RAW
(particularly in dark but detailed grassy areas). I found that my
cameras, and my metering technique, usually result in the best image
with either the as-metered or with -1/3 stop exposure compensation
(depending on which camera I'm using). Also, coming from a
TV/video/slide-photography background I am less worried about
white-clipping than other folk might be.
--
Cheers,
David