Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photo editing: monitor options

Photo editing: monitor options

AD

Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
notwithstanding.

Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
monitor for my win XP PC.

Thoughts and options for the monitor.

Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
Must not have brave new world design.
Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?

bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
not a hard requirement
bonus points if it's tilt adjustable

I _AM_ on the budget :^)

all opinions are welcome

Rob

On 4/12/2012 5:29 PM, AD wrote:
> Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
> notwithstanding.
>
> Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
> monitor for my win XP PC.
>
> Thoughts and options for the monitor.
>
> Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
> Must not have brave new world design.
> Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
>
> I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
>
> bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
> not a hard requirement
> bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
>
> I _AM_ on the budget :^)
>
> all opinions are welcome

Difficult to get 1200V now days usually 1080 for budget screens upto
say 24". Monitors that are both height and tilt also difficult to find
in the budget price range. Mostly just tilt.

I use a Samsung 24" 1920x1200 find it a good screen although a few years
old now - but its sort of calibrated to suit my printing.

Have you looked at pricing a TV for your monitor.

tony cooper

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:29:08 -0800 (PST), AD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
>notwithstanding.
>
>Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
>monitor for my win XP PC.
>
>Thoughts and options for the monitor.
>
>Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
>Must not have brave new world design.
>Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
>
>I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
>
>bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
>not a hard requirement
>bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
>
>I _AM_ on the budget :^)
>
>all opinions are welcome

Keep the monitor. Dump the wife.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

J. Clarke

In article <k9k74a$ehm$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

> On 4/12/2012 5:29 PM, AD wrote:
> > Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
> > notwithstanding.
> >
> > Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
> > monitor for my win XP PC.
> >
> > Thoughts and options for the monitor.
> >
> > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
> > Must not have brave new world design.
> > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
> >
> > I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
> >
> > bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
> > not a hard requirement
> > bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
> >
> > I _AM_ on the budget :^)
> >
> > all opinions are welcome
> >

> Difficult to get 1200V now days usually 1080 for budget screens upto
> say 24". Monitors that are both height and tilt also difficult to find
> in the budget price range. Mostly just tilt.
>
> I use a Samsung 24" 1920x1200 find it a good screen although a few years
> old now - but its sort of calibrated to suit my printing.
>
> Have you looked at pricing a TV for your monitor.

FWIW, Newegg lists more than a dozen 1920x1200 monitors, starting under
$300.

Nick Fotis

On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

> Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
> Must not have brave new world design.
> Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

Cheers,
N.F.

Peter Jason

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
>notwithstanding.
>
>Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
>monitor for my win XP PC.
>
>Thoughts and options for the monitor.
>
>Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
>Must not have brave new world design.
>Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution
>
>I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?
>
>bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
>not a hard requirement
>bonus points if it's tilt adjustable
>
>I _AM_ on the budget :^)
>
>all opinions are welcome

Mine is a Benq that cost $1000. Whichever you get
be sure it has spare USB connections (hubs) in the
top (for webcams) and at the sides for mouses and
flash drives.

Suze

In article <k9lp3m$2sfi$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Nick Fotis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:
> >
> > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
> > Must not have brave new world design.
> > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

> I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
> pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)
>
> Cheers,
> N.F.

HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
pivot stand
HP ZR2440w
runs in the $350-$400 range.
I have a non-IPS HP version similar to this one and I totally love it.
--
Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

AD

On Dec 5, 6:59*am, Suze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <k9lp3m$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> *Nick Fotis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 04/12/2012 08:29, AD wrote:

> > > Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base..
> > > Must not have brave new world design.
> > > Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

> > I would suggest the Dell UltraSharp 2412M, which is IPS and has 1200
> > pixels vertical resolution (if my memory works well)

> > Cheers,
> > N.F.

> HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
> pivot stand
> HP ZR2440w
> runs in the $350-$400 range.

where I live it seems more than $450
me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states

> Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
quality controls are lax
and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

AD

On Dec 4, 4:26*pm, tony cooper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:29:08 -0800 (PST), AD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Wife wants my mbp13" for photo edits, low res (768 by 13xx)
> >notwithstanding.

> >Not willing to part with that hardware I'm thinking a decent IPS
> >monitor for my win XP PC.

> >Thoughts and options for the monitor.

> >Must be height adjustable. Must be glare free. Must have a solid base.
> >Must not have brave new world design.
> >Must have at least 1200 vertical resolution

> >I think the color fidelity requirement rules out all TN panels. No?

> >bonus points if it still can play video without much distortion but is
> >not a hard requirement
> >bonus points if it's tilt adjustable

> >I _AM_ on the budget :^)

> >all opinions are welcome

> Keep the monitor. *Dump the wife.

i was pondering that thought actually for quite a while, but she just
won't leave

Rob

On 6/12/2012 8:51 AM, Eric Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:35:53 -0800 (PST), AD <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 5, 6:59 am, Suze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> HP makes a nice 24-in IPS 1200x1920 that has a fully adjustable and
>>> pivot stand
>>> HP ZR2440w
>>> runs in the $350-$400 range.

>> where I live it seems more than $450
>> me thinks i'll have someone lug one from the states
>>
>>> Good judgment results from experience, and experience results from bad judgment.

>> which is why I'll probably avoid buying dell at all costs given that
>> quality controls are lax
>> and brightness is inline with sugar amount in american yogurts

> I have a Dell U2410
> http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...n&sku=320-8277
> I check its color calibration at regular intervals using a Spyder3. It
> has always been almost exactly right and has shown negible drift over
> the 2 or so years that I have owned it. You are right: it's standard
> setting is slightly too bright but that is easily fixed through the
> controls.
>
> I had an earlier model of the same general specification.
> Unfortunately it intermittently developed a set of 1-pixel wide
> vertical lines. I telephoned Dell and within about 20 hours they had
> delivered a brand new replacement monitor (my present monitor).
>
> I can highly recommend them.

Here I have a Dell ultra sharp 1905 FP 19" which I have had since 2005
(made week 38/2005) its a nice screen but as you say too bright as a
standard gamma. I now use this as a spare test monitor when I build or
repair PC's but it still works just too small.

The other consumer Dells were not as sharp.