Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: setup.py Choosing Older Compiler On Windows

Re: setup.py Choosing Older Compiler On Windows

Dave Angel

On 12/02/2012 09:34 AM, Ami Tavory wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm porting a C++ extension module to a Windows machine that has both VC8
> and VC10 installed. Unfortunately, `setup.py build` tries to build using
> VC8, which fails (the extension uses C++ standard libraries that VC didn't
> used to have). Is there a way to get setup.py to use VC10 (preferably
> externally, without modifying the script)?

I haven't had to do Windows C++ development for many years, but there
used to be a vcvars.bat in each compiler installation, and you run the
one corresponding to the compiler & libraries you want.

--

DaveA

Irmen de Jong

On 2-12-2012 22:06, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 12/02/2012 09:34 AM, Ami Tavory wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm porting a C++ extension module to a Windows machine that has both VC8
>> and VC10 installed. Unfortunately, `setup.py build` tries to build using
>> VC8, which fails (the extension uses C++ standard libraries that VC didn't
>> used to have). Is there a way to get setup.py to use VC10 (preferably
>> externally, without modifying the script)?
>>

> I haven't had to do Windows C++ development for many years, but there
> used to be a vcvars.bat in each compiler installation, and you run the
> one corresponding to the compiler & libraries you want.

Forcing it to use a different compiler than the one that was used to build Python
itself, may very well lead to a non-working extension module.

Irmen