Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this the de facto general photography newsgroup?

Is this the de facto general photography newsgroup?

PeterN

On 12/2/2012 3:09 AM, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Paul Ciszek) writes:
>
>> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
>> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
>> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
>> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
>> a general photography newsgroup?

> It looks to me like it is, yes.

There is also alt.photography.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
>>>
>>> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
>>> and the fish are gathering here.
>>>
>>> BugBear

>> Most people have no idea usenet even exists.

> Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
> one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
> listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
> difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
> Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
> brought up.

I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use my
login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 12/4/2012 10:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-12-04 19:40:27 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:

>>> Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
>>> one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
>>> listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
>>> difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
>>> Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
>>> brought up.
>>>

>> I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
>> success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use
>> my login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
>> step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

> Thunderbird is usually pretty simple to set up. Since you are using TB
> with your WinNT setup all you should need is your news server address,
> usually "news.xxx.com", your user name and your password.

It is easy, and was so on this machine. I originally had it working
fine. I had an HD crash and had to do a format & install.I have not been
able to find a place to enter my username and password,

> Another dedicated Win Usenet client which others seem to be happy with
> is Forte Agent (check with Tony Cooper as that is what he uses).
> They have a 30 day trial.
> < http://www.forteinc.com/agent/ >

I will give Forte a whirl.

--
Peter

Wolfgang Weisselberg

PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

Considering OE was only ever bearable as a newsREADER (i.e. when
one never posted and thus didn't inflict it's pox on others),
I am unable to shed even a false tear over it's passing.

-Wolfgang

Robert Coe

: > : > Paul Ciszek wrote:
: > : > > Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific
: > : > > to digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose
: > : > > this newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked
: > : > > seemed to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we
: > : > > have to a general photography newsgroup?
: > : >
: > : > usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
: > : >
: > : > This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
: > : > and the fish are gathering here.
: > : >
: > : > BugBear
: > :
: > : Most people have no idea usenet even exists.
: >
: > That's always been the case. Even when Usenet was the only game in town,
: > relatively few people, even within the computer industry, had heard of
: > it. In a way it's too bad that it isn't better known. While the Web is
: > ubiquitous and HTTP is more efficient than NNTP in the resources that
: > matter today, a good newsreader is easier to use for the things it does
: > well than any of the Web-based conversational mechanisms that have been
: > developed so far. If you don't believe it, try reading this newsgroup
: > via "Google Groups".
:
: I'll have to try that sometime .
:
: The new google interface sucks, but the old one is usable, and much
: more convenient for me than a newsreader. And I speak as someone who
: used to use newsreaders.

I think the new Google interface is slightly better than the old one, but not
good enough.

Bob

PeterN

On 12/5/2012 12:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-12-05 09:15:11 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 12/4/2012 10:59 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Thunderbird is usually pretty simple to set up. Since you are using TB
>>> with your WinNT setup all you should need is your news server address,
>>> usually "news.xxx.com", your user name and your password.

>> It is easy, and was so on this machine. I originally had it working
>> fine. I had an HD crash and had to do a format & install.I have not
>> been able to find a place to enter my username and password,

> Open Thunderbird. (Perhaps reinstall TB.)
>
> From menu select "tools"--->"Account settings"
> On the bottom left you will see "Account Actions" click on that and
> select "Add other account".
> The "Account Wizard" window will open. Select "Newsgroup account" follow
> the set up procedure.

thanks, I tried that. Still did not get the screen to enter the
password.

I will probably install Win7, instead of Win8. Win 8 is overprotecting
me. It is a bear to install PS plugins.

--
Peter

PeterN

On 12/8/2012 11:19 AM, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2012-12-08 08:01:05 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
>
>> On 12/5/2012 12:45 PM, Savageduck wrote:

>>> Open Thunderbird. (Perhaps reinstall TB.)
>>>
>>> From menu select "tools"--->"Account settings"
>>> On the bottom left you will see "Account Actions" click on that and
>>> select "Add other account".
>>> The "Account Wizard" window will open. Select "Newsgroup account" follow
>>> the set up procedure.
>>>

>> thanks, I tried that. Still did not get the screen to enter the
>> password.
>>
>> I will probably install Win7, instead of Win8. Win 8 is overprotecting
>> me. It is a bear to install PS plugins.

> Just get yourself a new iMac.

I thought about that, for about 2 seconds. I simply have to get around
over protection. I also have the option of converting to Win7.

--
Peter

David Taylor

On 08/12/2012 19:51, PeterN wrote:
[]
> I thought about that, for about 2 seconds. I simply have to get around
> over protection. I also have the option of converting to Win7.

I've used both Win-7 and Win-8, and have yet to see significant
over-protection in Win-8. What is it which bothers you?

(I do use a start menu replacement, ClassicShell, though)
--
Cheers,
David

Robert Coe

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 22:40:27 -0500, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
: > On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
: >
: >>> Paul Ciszek wrote:
: >>>> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
: >>>> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
: >>>> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
: >>>> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
: >>>> a general photography newsgroup?
: >>>
: >>> usenet is dying, like rivers in a drought.
: >>>
: >>> This is one of the remaining muddy creeks,
: >>> and the fish are gathering here.
: >>>
: >>> BugBear
: >>
: >> Most people have no idea usenet even exists.
: >
: > Fer sure. Sometimes, when talking about a subject recently covered in
: > one of the newsgroups I read, I find it difficult to explain the
: > listener where the original dialog took place. It is especially
: > difficult when I'm referring to something that someone from the UK or
: > Australia (two places heavily represented in one of the groups I read)
: > brought up.
: >
:
: I agree. I am looking for a reader for my Win8 machine, without much
: success. I have tried Mozilla Thunderbird, but I can't get it to use my
: login credentials to access my server. Or, [possibly I am missing a
: step. MS has discontinued OE as a newsreader.

Did it ever actually weork? I tried it once or twice back in the day, but
never got anywhere.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:59:23 -0800, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
: On 2012-12-04 19:40:27 -0800, PeterN <(E-Mail Removed)> said:
:
: > On 12/3/2012 12:03 PM, tony cooper wrote:
: >> On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:21:36 -0800 (PST), otter
: >>
: >>>> Paul Ciszek wrote:
: >>>>> Many of the questions I have asked here were in no way specific to
: >>>>> digital photography--mirror lenses, tripods, etc. I chose this
: >>>>> newsgroup because the other photography newsgroups I checked seemed
: >>>>> to be dead. Is rec.photo.digital now the closest thing we have to
: >>>>> a general photography newsgroup?
: >>>>
[...]

Me too. IIRC (it's been a lonnng time) I was a beta tester of Free Agent. I'm
at version 6, which still has some bizarre bugs (notably the fact that it
handles too few message IDs, so old messages sometimes come back as new), but
is well implemented on the whole. I'm still getting around to ordering up
version 7.

Bob