Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden

HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden

David Hunt

I'm confused.

On my development box (XP Pro/SP2), I manually created a new Web application
(under the default Web site) and got everything working great (this was a
few weeks ago). Today I manually removed that Web site (via IIS Manger as
well as the underlying NTFS folder structure), and then rebuilt it all from
scratch (created the new NTSF folder structure, defined the Web site in IIS
Manager, manually created the virtual directories, etc). Now when I go to
open it (http://localhost/TheNewSite.com/) I'm getting HTTP 403.1.

In comparing the IIS properties between this site and another one that works
fine, I can see NO differences! Execute permissions are set for [scripts
only]. I've rebooted (not that that should help) but no effect. Where do I
go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd NTFS permissions,
nothing exotic about this application.

Thanks!

David Hunt

Okay, since the OP I discovered that the WHOLE problem is having the ".com"
as part of the Web application's name.
WHY can't I have a Web app on the local machine named "MyApp.com" but I can
have "myApp" ??

Thanks!

"David Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm confused.
>
> On my development box (XP Pro/SP2), I manually created a new Web
> application (under the default Web site) and got everything working great
> (this was a few weeks ago). Today I manually removed that Web site (via
> IIS Manger as well as the underlying NTFS folder structure), and then
> rebuilt it all from scratch (created the new NTSF folder structure,
> defined the Web site in IIS Manager, manually created the virtual
> directories, etc). Now when I go to open it
> (http://localhost/TheNewSite.com/) I'm getting HTTP 403.1.
>
> In comparing the IIS properties between this site and another one that
> works fine, I can see NO differences! Execute permissions are set for
> [scripts only]. I've rebooted (not that that should help) but no effect.
> Where do I go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd NTFS
> permissions, nothing exotic about this application.
>
> Thanks!

IPGrunt

"David Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> confessed in news:#$LtgVLBFHA.1188
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Okay, since the OP I discovered that the WHOLE problem is having the

".com"
> as part of the Web application's name.
> WHY can't I have a Web app on the local machine named "MyApp.com" but I

can
> have "myApp" ??
>
> Thanks!
>

> "David Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> On my development box (XP Pro/SP2), I manually created a new Web
>> application (under the default Web site) and got everything working

great
>> (this was a few weeks ago). Today I manually removed that Web site (via
>> IIS Manger as well as the underlying NTFS folder structure), and then
>> rebuilt it all from scratch (created the new NTSF folder structure,
>> defined the Web site in IIS Manager, manually created the virtual
>> directories, etc). Now when I go to open it
>> (http://localhost/TheNewSite.com/) I'm getting HTTP 403.1.
>>
>> In comparing the IIS properties between this site and another one that
>> works fine, I can see NO differences! Execute permissions are set for
>> [scripts only]. I've rebooted (not that that should help) but no effect.
>> Where do I go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd

NTFS
>> permissions, nothing exotic about this application.
>>
>> Thanks!

Because a .COM file is the old MS-DOS executable format.

You don't want people to be able to execute .com, .exe, etc. on your
webserver. Many viruses/worms were spread this way a few years ago. Have
you heard of Code Red or NIMDA? That's one of the ways they infected IIS
servers.

-- ipgrunt

Juan T. Llibre

..com is a standard domain name extension.

Whenever a browser parses a uri which ends in ".com",
it thinks that the domain name is whatever came previous
to that, plus the .com extension,

So, if you have
http://www.yourserver.com/MyApp.com
the browser will look for the domain
www.yourserver.com/MyApp
which doesn't exist, of course.

If you application ends in *any* standard domain extension,
like .com, .net, or .biz, or .info, or any other, like .tv,
you will *always* get a non-existent domain returned.

Therefore, you can't name any application
using standard domain extensions.

You can only name *domains* with those extensions.

Juan T. Llibre
ASP.NET MVP
===========
"David Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay, since the OP I discovered that the WHOLE problem is having the
> ".com" as part of the Web application's name.
> WHY can't I have a Web app on the local machine named "MyApp.com" but I
> can have "myApp" ??
>
> Thanks!
>

> "David Hunt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> On my development box (XP Pro/SP2), I manually created a new Web
>> application (under the default Web site) and got everything working great
>> (this was a few weeks ago). Today I manually removed that Web site (via
>> IIS Manger as well as the underlying NTFS folder structure), and then
>> rebuilt it all from scratch (created the new NTSF folder structure,
>> defined the Web site in IIS Manager, manually created the virtual
>> directories, etc). Now when I go to open it
>> (http://localhost/TheNewSite.com/) I'm getting HTTP 403.1.
>>
>> In comparing the IIS properties between this site and another one that
>> works fine, I can see NO differences! Execute permissions are set for
>> [scripts only]. I've rebooted (not that that should help) but no effect.
>> Where do I go from here to fix this? All the files are there, no odd NTFS
>> permissions, nothing exotic about this application.
>>
>> Thanks!

gullsinn gullsinn is offline
Junior Member

right click on wwwroot
go to properties
click on "web sharing" tab
add Aliases
set you whole or intepub/wwwroot/domain.com/ folder's permission = "execute " [includ scripts]