Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Loading a listbox from a Dropdownlist

gv

Ok,

Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question

with web forms

I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple

I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't show
the items ?

I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
flickers

Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then

ReportList.Items.Clear()
ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")

ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then

ReportList.Items.Clear()
ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")

End If
End Sub

Curt_C [MVP]

are you clearing them/setting them in the page_load? You may be blanking
them out each time.
look at the IsPostBack() to differentiate

--
Curt Christianson
Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com

"gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok,
>
> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
>
> with web forms
>
> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
>
> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't show
> the items ?
>
> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
> flickers
>
> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
>
> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
>
> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
>
> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
>
> End If
> End Sub

gv

Thanks for your help, I'm only clearing the listbox before I load the new
values based on what is selected in the dropdownlist.
The values load fine when the page first opens. Not when the
controls SelectedIndexChanged event fires.

GV

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> are you clearing them/setting them in the page_load? You may be blanking
> them out each time.
> look at the IsPostBack() to differentiate
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok,
>>
>> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
>>
>> with web forms
>>
>> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
>> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
>>
>> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't
>> show the items ?
>>
>> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
>> flickers
>>
>> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
>> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
>> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
>> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
>>
>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
>>
>> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
>>
>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
>>
>> End If
>> End Sub

Karl Seguin

Gv:
It works fine for me. Are you sure you have the AutoPostBack=true for the
dropdownlist?

karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok,
>
> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
>
> with web forms
>
> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
>
> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't show
> the items ?
>
> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
> flickers
>
> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
>
> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
>
> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
>
> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
>
> End If
> End Sub

gv

If I do that, it works fine like I said but, flickers?

I don't want it to flicker when I do this.

thanks
gv

> Gv:
> It works fine for me. Are you sure you have the AutoPostBack=true for the
> dropdownlist?
>
> karl
>
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok,
>>
>> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
>>
>> with web forms
>>
>> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
>> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
>>
>> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't
>> show
>> the items ?
>>
>> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
>> flickers
>>
>> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
>> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
>> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
>> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
>>
>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
>>
>> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
>>
>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
>>
>> End If
>> End Sub

Karl Seguin

Geez..so much for reading through everything....i didn't catch that at all.

One solution is to do everything on the client-side...which has its up and
down side.

Another one is to turn on SmartNavigation which only works in IE and some
people have a lot of problems with it. Try putting SmartNaviation=true in
the <%@ Page directive...
You should check out:
http://weblogs.asp.net/ksamaschke/ar...4/27/6085.aspx or just do a
google search for SmartNavigation

Other that that, it's the nature of doing web programming...

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I do that, it works fine like I said but, flickers?
>
> I don't want it to flicker when I do this.
>
> thanks
> gv
>

> "Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Gv:
> > It works fine for me. Are you sure you have the AutoPostBack=true for

the
> > dropdownlist?
> >
> > karl
> >
> > --
> > MY ASP.Net tutorials
> > http://www.openmymind.net/
> >

> > "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Ok,
> >>
> >> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
> >>
> >> with web forms
> >>
> >> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
> >> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
> >>
> >> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't
> >> show
> >> the items ?
> >>
> >> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
> >> flickers
> >>
> >> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
> >> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
> >> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
> >> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
> >>
> >> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> >> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
> >> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
> >>
> >> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
> >>
> >> ReportList.Items.Clear()
> >> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
> >> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
> >>
> >> End If
> >> End Sub

Curt_C [MVP]

you cant avoid the flicker. That is the page making a round trip to the
server, its unavoidable unless you do it all with clientside code

--
Curt Christianson
Site & Scripts: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I do that, it works fine like I said but, flickers?
>
> I don't want it to flicker when I do this.
>
> thanks
> gv
>

> "Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Gv:
>> It works fine for me. Are you sure you have the AutoPostBack=true for
>> the
>> dropdownlist?
>>
>> karl
>>
>> --
>> MY ASP.Net tutorials
>> http://www.openmymind.net/
>>

>> "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok,
>>>
>>> Hi all, new to asp.net. Simple question
>>>
>>> with web forms
>>>
>>> I have a Dropdownlist and a listbox, I want to click on and item in the
>>> dropdownlist and show items in listbox. that simple
>>>
>>> I have this: I have two items in Dropdownlist. The Reportlist doesn't
>>> show
>>> the items ?
>>>
>>> I tried to set the Autopostback to true. This does work but, the page
>>> flickers
>>>
>>> Private Sub Databaselist_SelectedIndexChanged(ByVal sender As
>>> System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles
>>> Databaselist.SelectedIndexChanged
>>> If Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test1" Then
>>>
>>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by Date Range")
>>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test1Totals by name and Date Range")
>>>
>>> ElseIf Databaselist.SelectedValue = "Test2" Then
>>>
>>> ReportList.Items.Clear()
>>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2Totals by Date Range")
>>> ReportList.Items.Add("Test2 Totals by name and Date Range")
>>>
>>> End If
>>> End Sub

gv

How would I do this part on the client side?

SmartNavigation didn't help.

thanks
Gerry

wrote in message news:eScn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geez..so much for reading through everything....i didn't catch that at
> all.
>
> One solution is to do everything on the client-side...which has its up and
> down side.
>
> Another one is to turn on SmartNavigation which only works in IE and some
> people have a lot of problems with it. Try putting SmartNaviation=true
> in
> the <%@ Page directive...
> You should check out:
> http://weblogs.asp.net/ksamaschke/ar...4/27/6085.aspx or just do
> google search for SmartNavigation
>
> Other that that, it's the nature of doing web programming...
>
> Karl
>
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If I do that, it works fine like I said but, flickers?
>>
>> I don't want it to flicker when I do this.
>>
>> thanks
>> gv
>>

>> "Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net>
>> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Gv:
>> > It works fine for me. Are you sure you have the AutoPostBack=true for

> the
>> > dropdownlist?
>> >
>> > karl
>> >
>> > --
>> > MY ASP.Net tutorials
>> > http://www.openmymind.net/
>> >

>> > "gv" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:%238r%(E-Mail Removed)...

Karl Seguin

GV:
There's no magic bullet to achieve this...it involves knowing a lot about
javascript, cross browser issues and using whatever ASP.Net offers to make
it easier (which really isn't too much, sadly).

One slightly clean solution is outlined here:
http://www.15seconds.com/issue/010205.htm

hope this sends you in the right direction.

Karl
--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/