Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

Is there software that will automatically pad JPGs of odd dimensions so I can print to 4x6 format without losing image area?

Wally

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 20:33:26 -0500, "Mayayana"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I realized I had forgotten something. The program I
>linked will do what you want.
>See here:
>
>http://www.jsware.net/jsware/pprep.php5
>
>JS PhotoPrep
>Drop a folder onto the window, select quality level,
>select to save as BMP or JPG, check "Perform Crop",
>select dimension (or custom dimension), check
>"Mount for no-loss crop", and finally, select the
>background color. Then click "Process".
>
> As noted, this is a trial version, but it's fully functional
>with no time limit. If you don't mind the nag screen
>you can use it for free. (With all the free, tidbit photo
>editors around I get very few sales, anyway.

Neat. Sounds exactly like what I need.

Are you the author?

W.

Mayayana

| Neat. Sounds exactly like what I need.
|
| Are you the author?

Yes. I've been writing shareware for years but
this one was mainly designed for my photographer
lady friend. She was going on trips and then
spending weeks trying to crop hundreds of photos
by hand in PSP. So the program was designed
to provide auto cropping and resizing. Operations
can be done on a folder or file. With a single file
the cropping rectangle can be dragged to easily
get the best section of the image.

If you or anyone else decides to try the program
I'd be happy to hear criticisms, suggestions, or
requests. I occasionally update these things when
it seems worthwhile and would consider making any
changes that seem like they'd be of value to a
number of people. (I actually made a change not
long ago because someone was making a video
collage of photos and wanted to be able to crop to
a 16:9 ratio. Up to that point I had provided only
several typical ratios: 4x6, 5x8, etc. But I realized
it would be simple to also add a custom option to
set any ratio.)

Tim Conway

"Wally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:24:40 +1300, Eric Stevens
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 08:53:34 -0700, Wally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>How?
>>>

>>Here is a scan of a 6" x 4" test print I happened to have lying
>>around. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31088803/Image1.jpg I presume that
>>this is the sort of thing you want. The length of the panoramic image
>>has been fitted to the paper and the top and bottom has been padded
>>with white space.
>>
>>If the image was taller than it was wide then the top and bottom of
>>the image would be fitted to the paper and it would be the sides that
>>were padded.

> OK, it looks good. Will have to give it a try. But I gotta admit that
> JS PhotoPrep sounds exactly right and real simple too.

I agree, and at $15 US it's a lot cheaper than PR Genuine Fractals. I
thought it seems what you are looking for.

Fred McKenzie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

> >I did do this through a Photoshop action when when I was
> >making heaps of flash presentations.
> >
> >The image was placed on a black background, and made to
> >fit. Had one action for Vertical and another Horizontal
> >images. Batched whole folders.

> I do it with a shell script on Linux. It uses /exiftool/
> to determine the orientation of an image, and adds an
> option to the /convert/ command to first rotate the image
> if necessary, then resample, and then add the back ground.

Can't you do what you want in your print dialog? If not, take your
printer along with a thumb drive that contains your photos, to visit
someone who has a Macintosh computer. The built-in Preview App can
handle common image formats. In the print dialog, choose "Scale to
Fit", and select "Print Entire Image".

Fred

Wolfgang Weisselberg

Wally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
> any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
> is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
> the screen.

> Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
> because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
> common albums.

You could consider making an album not by sticking photos in
it, but by having the *pages* (containing the images) printed
(or even better, chemically developed like real photos) and
then bound to a book --- presto, an album and you can keep
all the irregular dimensions.

> Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
> some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
> do that.

imagemagick. It's made for batch processing of images of all
kinds. (And it's open source, so you can download it, use it
and even improve it as you like.)

You'll need to read the manual to find the right options and
sequence of commands, but someone will have had a similar
problem before, so it's likely you can find an example on the
web that you can adapt.

One way would be to resize (keeping aspect ratio) the image
to 1200x1800 max (300dpi for 4x6 inch), then extend to
1200x1800 around the image.

(untested
convert original.jpg -resize 1200x1800 -gravity center -background darkgrey -extend 1200x1800 resized.jpg

Now make a loop over all your jpegs, creating the resized jpeg
in another directory ...

-Wolfgang

Peter Jason

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a couple hundred JPG files of different aspect ratios. Hardly
>any two are alike in dimension. Mostly they are approx 4:5, but that
>is rough. They were just cropped over the years for best display on
>the screen.
>
>Now I want to make prints of them, and the prints need to be 4x6 inch
>because that is the standard and cheapest, and will fit into the most
>common albums.
>
>The places that print JPGs allow me to crop the pics to fit 4x6, but
>in most cases that will crop picture area that I don't want to lose.
>Instead I would like the whole file printed, leaving white margins (or
>some other color) on either side. But those places won't allow me to
>do that.
>
>I can go into software and edit the pic to do this, leaving nice gray
>margins on either side. But it's not practical to do a couple hundred
>like this.
>
>Irfanview supports batch jobs, and allows setting the canvas size to a
>desired size in pixels. But that won't work for me, because the
>original files don't have consistent dimensions.
>
>Paint Shop Pro seems to be similar - I can set the required dimensions
>in pixels or in length units, but that won't work if the origs have
>many different sizes.
>
>So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on how I can run a few
>hundred pics through a software that only pads the pic with blank
>areas to achieve an aspect ratio of 2:3.
>
>Wally

Depending on the photo you may want to select the
area that is cropped because auto-cropping might
chop heads off etc.