Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: Getting started with AVR and C

Re: Getting started with AVR and C

Ben Bacarisse

John Devereux <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
<snip>
> [...] I could even abuse the C
> standard - sorry c.l.c - and embed utf8 in the C source code and that
> worked too. (I moved these out into resource files in the end though).

It's not much of an abuse. Multibyte character sequences are permitted
in string literals and may even be converted to wide character strings
as if by the use of the mbstowcs function when appropriate. In C99, the
only trouble is that what encoding is assumed, and what characters are
permitted, is implementation defined. Whilst that's also true in the
latest standard, C11 does add the u8 prefix to produce UTF-8 encoded
strings.

It also adds the U (and u) prefix to make Unicode character arrays from
a multibyte character string, but the encoding is still implementation
defined and dependent on the locale (as it should be, I think).

--
Ben.

Denon avr-3300 problem gbozovic11@yahoo.com DVD Video 1 10-20-2005 09:56 PM
AVR core and patents avishay VHDL 0 06-09-2005 01:10 PM
AVR's 2005 Audio-Video Predictions Diane Sherwin DVD Video 0 12-31-2004 01:28 AM
ANN: ESF support for the Atmel AVR 8-Bit RISC microcontroller j.laws@ieee.org C++ 0 07-26-2004 09:46 PM
Denon AVR 5803 Setup Question Joseph Atsmon DVD Video 2 11-03-2003 07:38 AM

Advertisments