Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Windows 7 & Mozilla Firefox update disasters - PLEASE HELP!

Windows 7 & Mozilla Firefox update disasters - PLEASE HELP!

Lee

The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7 update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings, preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) - incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.

What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again? I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web browsers, & esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I make sure that allmy Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful advice/tips/suggestions/recommendationswill be greatly appreciated - thanks.

Paul Drahn

On 11/23/2012 10:37 PM, Lee wrote:
> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7 update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings, preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) - incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>
> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again? I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web browsers,& esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

I would look elsewhere for the problem.

I have been using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Win7 for over two
years. I also use firefox and am on version 14.0.1 and get all the updates.

I have never had a problem with either Win7 or FireFox. Did have to
replace the hard drive because the cashing hardware developed a parity
checking error.

Paul

Paul

Lee wrote:
> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7 update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings, preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) - incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>
> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again? I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web browsers, & esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

With your Windows file search, look for files like
"places.sqlite" and "urlclassifier3.sqlite". When you
find those files, you may have located the two folders
holding Firefox files. (Seamonkey web browser may use
folders like that as well.) Notice, in the examples below,
the "5cv0laep" part is randomly generated, which is why
you can't just dream up the correct path on your own.

Windows 7 will use different folders than this, and this
is an example from WinXP.

C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5cv0laep.default

The "urlclassifier3.sqlite" is next to the CACHE folder. So
this is potentially a second data folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5cv0laep.default

Since Windows 7 has a users\My Username kind of tree for
personal files, you're going to find a different path
for the two folders.

The actual program installation would be in a third folder.
Look for "firefox.exe" to find that. Since you can reinstall
Firefox at any time, I wouldn't worry about that too much.
Mine is in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox , but on Windows 7
it might be in Program Files (x86).

*******

If you look at this level

C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

you'll find a file "profiles.ini". My file contents right now show

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=1

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/5cv0laep.default
Default=1

That file can hold more than one reference. You can copy the equivalent
of "5cv0laep.default" from another computer, and add it as a profile. It
allows two people to have profiles on one copy of Firefox.

Both Firefox and Thunderbird, if you launch them from the command prompt
with an appropriate option, like "firefox.exe -p", it causes the
Profile Manager to pop up. In there, you can select a profile and
the usage of one of the two folders you might have put in there.

C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5cv0laep.default
C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1234abcd.Beavis
C:\Documents and Settings\My Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\2468aceg.Butthead

In Profile Manager, perhaps that would show three items to choose from.

I don't know all the details, but research Profile Manager to learn more.
The second link is where I learned about "firefox.exe -p"

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...rofile_Manager

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...aging+profiles

*******

Your Windows Update is doing something to your actual user account.
A user account keeps things like NTUSER.DAT, a registry file of some
sort. That's one thing that might keep personal settings.

I have no idea what's broken in your case, so this is
just some background reading for you. You have a user
account. But you also have files which constitute your
"user profile". I expect those files are updated on a regular
basis anyway, so checking date stamps probably would not be
sufficient. Maybe a downward change in file size, would indicate
the file is being regenerated or overwritten. I would have
thought any corruption would have been preserved, rather
than just erasing it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_profile

Note that a Microsoft_Windows_profile is an entirely separate
topic, than a Firefox Profile.

Paul

Daniel47@teranews.com

Paul wrote:
> Lee wrote:
>> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7
>> update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings,
>> preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web
>> browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) -
>> incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>>
>> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again?
>> I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web
>> browsers, & esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I
>> make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case
>> I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but
>> most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful
>> advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated -
>> thanks.

> With your Windows file search, look for files like
> "places.sqlite" and "urlclassifier3.sqlite". When you
> find those files, you may have located the two folders
> holding Firefox files. (Seamonkey web browser may use
> folders like that as well.)

Paul, just FYI, I use SeaMonkey on both my Win7 and Linux installations
and a search of my entire hard drive could not find any
"urlclassifier3.sqlite".

Lee, there are news groups for Firefox on a private news server
(news.mozilla.org) and, I believe, these also appear on Google Groups.
Asking there might get you more help.

Also, have a look, in windows explorer, at the properties of a file
called prefs.js I think FF still uses this to hold it's preferences, but
if it has been set to "Read Only" any changes you make to the "look" of
the program would be lost each time you try to start FF.

HTH

Daniel

Daniel47@teranews.com

Paul Drahn wrote:
> On 11/23/2012 10:37 PM, Lee wrote:
>> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7
>> update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings,
>> preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web
>> browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) -
>> incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>>
>> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again?
>> I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web
>> browsers,& esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I
>> make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case
>> I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but
>> most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful
>> advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated -
>> thanks.

> I would look elsewhere for the problem.
>
> I have been using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Win7 for over two
> years. I also use firefox and am on version 14.0.1 and get all the updates.

Paul, FYI Firefox has released Ver 17 in the last couple of days.

Daniel

Paul

> Paul wrote:
>> Lee wrote:
>>> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7
>>> update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings,
>>> preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web
>>> browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) -
>>> incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>>>
>>> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again?
>>> I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web
>>> browsers, & esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I
>>> make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case
>>> I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but
>>> most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful
>>> advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated -
>>> thanks.

>> With your Windows file search, look for files like
>> "places.sqlite" and "urlclassifier3.sqlite". When you
>> find those files, you may have located the two folders
>> holding Firefox files. (Seamonkey web browser may use
>> folders like that as well.)

> Paul, just FYI, I use SeaMonkey on both my Win7 and Linux installations
> and a search of my entire hard drive could not find any
> "urlclassifier3.sqlite".
>
> Lee, there are news groups for Firefox on a private news server
> (news.mozilla.org) and, I believe, these also appear on Google Groups.
> Asking there might get you more help.
>
> Also, have a look, in windows explorer, at the properties of a file
> called prefs.js I think FF still uses this to hold it's preferences, but
> if it has been set to "Read Only" any changes you make to the "look" of
> the program would be lost each time you try to start FF.
>
> HTH
>
> Daniel

Interesting. Seamonkey isn't exactly the same. I can find two folders
for Seamonkey by searching for ".sqlite" or by looking for folders with
Profiles in the name.

Seamonkey\Profiles <--- should be two paths with this
Firefox\Profiles <--- should be two paths with this

The urlclassifier3.sqlite file in Firefox, is listed here as
"Phishing and Attack site protection data". The file is updated
in the background, by downloading some data from Google. Seamonkey
must have some other means of doing that. In my copy of Seamonkey,
there's only one .sqlite file that is large sized, while in
Firefox, I've got two large .sqlite files, one being urlclassifier.sqlite.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox

Paul

Paul Drahn

> Paul Drahn wrote:
>> On 11/23/2012 10:37 PM, Lee wrote:
>>> The last 2 times I had to re-start my HP PC, apparently a Windows 7
>>> update very unfortunately wiped out all of my personal settings,
>>> preferences, etc., and even worse, also wiped out everything in my web
>>> browsers (coloration of visited links, bookmarks, history, etc.) -
>>> incl. the one that I use mostly, Mozilla Firefox.
>>>
>>> What can I do to help prevent such disasters from occurring again?
>>> I'm especially concerned about everything being wiped out in my web
>>> browsers,& esp. losing the coloration of visited links in Firefox. I
>>> make sure that all my Firefox bookmarks are reguarly backed up in case
>>> I need to restore them, so that's not such a significant concern, but
>>> most everything else is a real pain in the ass, so any helpful
>>> advice/tips/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated -
>>> thanks.

>> I would look elsewhere for the problem.
>>
>> I have been using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Win7 for over two
>> years. I also use firefox and am on version 14.0.1 and get all the
>> updates.

> Paul, FYI Firefox has released Ver 17 in the last couple of days.
>
> Daniel

Firefox says I am up to date on the 64 bit versions.

Paul

Daniel47@teranews.com

Paul Drahn wrote:
> On 11/25/2012 5:18 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Paul Drahn wrote:

>>> I would look elsewhere for the problem.
>>>
>>> I have been using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Win7 for over two
>>> years. I also use firefox and am on version 14.0.1 and get all the
>>> updates.

>> Paul, FYI Firefox has released Ver 17 in the last couple of days.
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Firefox says I am up to date on the 64 bit versions.
>
> Paul

When I go to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/, it wants me to
download Ver 17, for linux in my case, but if you click the link, it
should offer you the Windows version.

This might only be the 32bit rather than the 64bit WOW version, but I
think you'll find there should be a 64bit update available, somewhere.

Daniel

Daniel47@teranews.com

Paul wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Paul wrote:

>>> With your Windows file search, look for files like
>>> "places.sqlite" and "urlclassifier3.sqlite". When you
>>> find those files, you may have located the two folders
>>> holding Firefox files. (Seamonkey web browser may use
>>> folders like that as well.)

>> Paul, just FYI, I use SeaMonkey on both my Win7 and Linux
>> installations and a search of my entire hard drive could not find any
>> "urlclassifier3.sqlite".
>>
>> Lee, there are news groups for Firefox on a private news server
>> (news.mozilla.org) and, I believe, these also appear on Google Groups.
>> Asking there might get you more help.
>>
>> Also, have a look, in windows explorer, at the properties of a file
>> called prefs.js I think FF still uses this to hold it's preferences,
>> but if it has been set to "Read Only" any changes you make to the
>> "look" of the program would be lost each time you try to start FF.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> Interesting. Seamonkey isn't exactly the same. I can find two folders
> for Seamonkey by searching for ".sqlite" or by looking for folders with
> Profiles in the name.
>
> Seamonkey\Profiles <--- should be two paths with this
> Firefox\Profiles <--- should be two paths with this
>
> The urlclassifier3.sqlite file in Firefox, is listed here as
> "Phishing and Attack site protection data". The file is updated
> in the background, by downloading some data from Google. Seamonkey
> must have some other means of doing that. In my copy of Seamonkey,
> there's only one .sqlite file that is large sized, while in
> Firefox, I've got two large .sqlite files, one being urlclassifier.sqlite.
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox
>
> Paul

As I use the one profile for both my Win7 SeaMonkey and my Linux
SeaMonkey, so the location of my profile does not conform to either the
Windows or Linux standard locations, i.e. on both I do Custom installations.

Daniel